Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

[HOWTO] New Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuzant3d

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I have just finished developing a new discussion board that is powered by SMF. I have been doing the infrastructure of the forums for almost 2 months and have tried to make it cover all aspects of interest of the regular internet user.

My question is:

How to get people to those forums? How to develop the team of moderators? how to get it started in general.

I do not want to go register on all forums and spamming with some text like "posters wanted" or any other similar ways.. I want a neat start as for the forums to go neat all the way up (hopefully)

The domain name is SEO optimized, contains around 10 main boards and a total of over 300 forums and subforums in one very easy and user-friendly interface.

I am not willing to share the URL for now until i am ready with at least a team of 10 people to help moderating the whole system, i will not be able to handle the load of it all if it starts the way it should be starting. Please do not ask for any URLs.

If you are interested in vecoming a moderator, please PM me with some (all) details about yourself, your sites, expirience, etc.. and make sure to answer one question in your PM "why should i be accepted as a moderator?".

There is a wide range of areas of interest, please feel free to ask..

I am even thinking to make the forums system an ad-revenu sharing one. I still did not make this decision as i do not want anybody to say "he copied the DP" idea.. i did not ;) I am also thinking to have it free for all, where interested individuals can buy shares of the generated revenue. And btw, i have all the capabilities to do the needed programming. I am just unsure where and how to start exactly.

Please, feel free to post your suggestions, comments, etc..

I am really "in need" to be hearing what the outworld thinks.

Merry christmas all.

Domain summit 2024

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this doesn't really add up....

you have developed "the ultimate forum experience" but there is currently no traffic or membership because nobody knows about it. you are unwilling to share the url because you don't have 10 moderators yet to handle the expected crush of moderating. but you can't figure out how to get people there in the first place. but you are expecting moderators to apply for this position with a resume and an essay. but you won't share the url, and you have no members. you can't figure out how to get people there, yet you are contemplating a revenue share model for the members that will be generated by all the traffic, once you open the floodgates. except there is nobody waiting at the floodgates yet.

good luck with all that.

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First off, get rid of SMF forum. Very easliy hacked/hijakced I hear. vbulletin is the safest forum out there.

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You need to get things in the right order:

1. Get traffic to the site
  2. When there is significant traffic on the forums then invite the higest poster from each forum to be a moderator. By definition they will be the most motivated and most likely to do a good job of it.

How to get traffic to your site!?
There is no substitute for hard work. You need to promote your whole site in all the usual ways.
You need to promote each individual forum where its audience is expected to come from. You may need to place a targetted advert where your customer base already visits.
Place a PPC order on keywords for each individual forum to start building up members. You can cease this when you feel things are moving along nicely.

zachbb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my girlfriend just broke up with me :(... i feel terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators