• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

http:// or http://www.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
150
What is better to use for linking to your websites, http://domain.com or http://www.domain.com

is it true that some browsers won't resolve the www?

or does it not matter anymore?
 
I believe that the important thing is not which one you choose, but that you are consistent in using just one of them and trying to ensure that your incoming links are all to whichever you choose, so that you don't lose any link juice.
 
make sure you point the www cname to @
 
I redirect all my domains from www. to without www.

http://www. is redundant, and not necessary on virutally all server setups.

http:// already implies connect to port 80, the www. doesn't need to be there.
 
I believe that the important thing is not which one you choose, but that you are consistent in using just one of them and trying to ensure that your incoming links are all to whichever you choose, so that you don't lose any link juice.

I have found this to be correct and not so much which one, but that it is done.

I have made it routine that as soon as I put a name on hosting I edit the htaccess file. No need to have those separate pages indexed.;)
 
I create a lot of IDN sites & without the www just looks better.
Just redirect the www to the domain without it.
 
Agree. www. is old school and simply unnecessary. Just map it to the address without.
 
thanks for all the input; seems using the www is not necessary then.
 
It's not necessary :) However it's best to choose one or the other.

Personally I go for "http://www.", because everyone types that in by default anyone. Heh, it sort of annoys me when people give a website address as "WWW.domain.etc." - they always start with "www"... why?!?! Lol!
 
Whichever way you go, make sure you 301 redirect it in the .htaccess file to ensure Google doesn't dupe content the domain and redistribute PR. It's also a good idea while you are there to 301 redirect index.php (or .htm, .html dependingh on what you use) to / too.
 
Hi,

Also,

You can get Google PR for both www. and without. Example: If all your backlinks etc... are links without the www. you may have a PR of 0 for your domain with www. and a page rank of say 5 with your domain not using the www.

Peace,
Dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom