Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed http://www.racrally.com/ Value Please

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.

Should I take this to the next stage, The High Court?

• Yes, don't let them beat you

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Submit, youain't got the money to fight a Blue Chip

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

this doamin dispute is still on-going with RAC, does anyone have a realistic valuation on it?

RAC Motoring services have offered £2,000, currently my legal fees in defending the domain dispute stands at almost £3,000. Does anyone remember this from the old forum?

Kevin.

Domain summit 2024

Was your reason for registering the domain name anything other than the recognition the phrase "RAC Rally" has?

Looking at the site, I'm afraid "Race Across the Country Rally" looks contrived.

The domain name has no real value other than from their goodwill - that makes fighting it pointless unless you are doing it on general principle.

the basis of the domain dipsute is that RAC determine because they used to sponsor the rally then known as RACRally they have right to this domain. There arguement is based on their opinion that I am infringing trademark by making represenatation of the acronym RAC on my website. This domain dispute has been on-going for almost two years, with RAC Motoring Services showing very much bully tactics throughout.

One other factor which has made me give cause to continue fighting this is

1. www.RAC-Rally all suffix is owned by Vauxhall, the current sponsors of Rally of Great Britain. Suprisingly though no case raised against them

2. www.RallyRAC is also owned by Vauxhall.

3. Settlement was agreed last year for sale transfer of the domain for £2,000 + vat with a condition of a link to my new site . I purchased RaceRally.net but RAC Motoring withdraw on settlement as they determined my domain to similar to the dispiyed one. They have tried to make a condition of transfer that I purchase RATCRally, they're trying to shit on me big style.

Kevin.

clearly everyone within the UK still has thought recognition and association to the phrase "RAC Rally" regardless of what it is currently known as, personally i think it is a great name for a rally site.

Kevin.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think 150 USd

I understand, but its only a good name *because* of the RAC's historic sponsorship of the Rally - so any value is derrived from RAC's efforts and not any inherent descriptiveness.

Its not unreasonable for them to ask you not to register a domain name similar to a disputed and settled one - thats common practice in disputes of this kind that get settled "amicably".

here's hoping that mine has an amicable resolve, never in my wildest imagination did I forsee it evolving to this.

Kevin.

I hope so too - I just can't see how you can defend it and win. And if you do lose, your current legal fees could be a drop in the ocean in comparison.

If you can walk away with your legal fees paid you'll have done well

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
do you own .. camelrally & parisdakar .. as well :)

Play with fire and you can get burnt.

Take the money.. ENron..

$2K

not bad..

may not get a buyer outside of those folks..
who would pay $2K

Today $2K is good return on an domain investment..

Sincerely!

Originally posted by safesys

Looking at the site, I'm afraid "Race Across the Country Rally" looks contrived.

The domain name has no real value other than from their goodwill - that makes fighting it pointless unless you are doing it on general principle.

:)

I'd try and calulate what the domain is really worh to you in terms of revenue/likely sale, if its less than their settlement offer then settle!

Seems these type of disputes can go on forever and just waste time and money for no real gain. Often it just amounts to throwing good money after bad.

Best of luck with it, and I hope you get is resolved soon!

thanks for all your comments. With hindsight I should probably've thrown the towel in some time ago. Too much money and time has now been spent, I need to at least try and recoup what I've spent.

I dare say everyone could say similar of a situation thye've had in life.

Originally posted by safesys
Was your reason for registering the domain name anything other than the recognition the phrase "RAC Rally" has?

valid question

this will be what will be asked of you.

and
a) is the site live?
b) what does the site promote?

these are the issues

more later..

i'll insert a link.. on another case.. worthy of the read

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin

I remember your dispute from the old forum, I think it might just be time to cut the losses and take the offer.

I think that it could just run and run unfortunately and who knows what the costs could rise to.

I have always thought that you were in the right but it is all to often the case that those who should win don't.

Best of luck anyway.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators