Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed hyphen names

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.

as a % of a no-hyphen domain name

• 20-

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • 20-40

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 40-60

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 60-80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80-100

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 100+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the value of hyphen .com's relative to non-hyphen .com's? (think keyword1-keyword2.com and keyword1keyword2.com)

Domain summit 2024

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FACT: I can't even sell web-based.com for just $300! And this is a word that the non-hyphenated version (webbased.com) is NOT particularly better.

hard to say as I guess its going to vary from name to name quite a bit. Though if I had to give a very rough estimate of an "average" selling price figures I would have thought something like 5% (maybe less)? Really I don't see many hyphenated names selling at all.

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Although the dash can actually aid in the visual memory of certain domain names, e.g., e-aircargo.com may be more memorable than eaircargo.com, the dashed version, like with this example, will often remain unregistered and, thus, worth less than an $8 reg. fee.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 18-30.com

Wouldn't be of much use if it was 1830.com

flex

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's judge accordingly to case by case basis :cool:

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
greetings

i have an aversion to hypens partialy because hard to cull out ones with value. a lot of people try to support value and purchase rationale with overture tool results not realizing the way hypens are proccessed. 90% of the time looking at the single word or group. even with the com it is still questionable.

one i bought recently was last-name.com

i think two word generics non plural may provide return due to the attractivness to spiders and the indexing ability in many engines.

i can just see new net users deciding which hypen to use typing in.

the big one or the little

unless exceptional resale value minimal but development possible on all

63 character orgs with hypens probally not a good buy (havent sold any of mine) jk

sean

just my opinion

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Approximately 25% of my domain portfolio is hyphenated .com domains. I go for the hyphen on very targeted generic domains like Home-Page.com, Airplane-Ticket.com, Inkjet-Refill.com, Email-Address.com, Application-Service-Provider.com, Dedicated-Hosting.com and so on.

In my opinion, the hyphenated .coms look MUCH more elegant than some contrived mess like ededicatedhosting.net or something like that because the .com is gone!

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm with Genki, too, as to the longer names that combine generics or e/i flavor generics. For example, I think ebuy-esell.com is more memorable than ebuyesell.com, and therefore, more valuable.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotsofdomains
I'm with Genki, too, as to the longer names that combine generics or e/i flavor generics. For example, I think ebuy-esell.com is more memorable than ebuyesell.com, and therefore, more valuable.

I think you misunderstood me.

I meant I'd rather have buy-sell.com than ebuyesell.net (although in this case neither is particularly attractive!)

In other words, in my view a hyphen makes a better alternative than sticking some contrived "i" or "e" onto a name!

By the time you have an "i" or "e" AND a hyphen, you're on the far side of worthless!

M

Mythios

Hyphens are no good. Too many people have too many hyphenated domains and never sell them. The worse negative for these type domains is that the meaning gets lost when all you have is audial communication, i.e. radio. IMO, pass on any hyphenated domains.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hyphenated names are not good because web surfers have to guess or remember whether this website's URL is hyphenated or not, and very often you actually send traffic to your competitor (e.g. richmond-hill.com to richmondhill.com).

However, it IS good for search engine listing because of the way that their programs are written. Let me share a little tip here: even an under_score in the directory or file name would help.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hyphen domains are ok - but they are only second best, and only get them if you have a really great two word domain.

G

gbrott

They are good if you are going for search engine traffic and nothing else. If you are trying to brand something with a hyphen, and you don't have the non-hyphen version, I don't advise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom