• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

I just grabbed a cancelled name

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
8,426
Reaction score
1,292
I am the registrant of corps-diplomatique.net. Seeing that corps-diplomatique.com was due to expire I tried to catch the name as it dropped.
Unfortunately someone beat me to it.

Then I receive this spam:
(E-mail from whois of course)
02-Nov-2005 23:36
Limited Time Offer...!!!
The domain name corps-diplomatique.com is for sale exclusively by webnamesolution.com. Hurry and take advantage of this limited time special offer. Reg. price $199.95 USD, for a limited time only $99.95 USD.
Domain Name: corps-diplomatique.com
Price: $99.95 USD
To purchase this domain and take advantage of this Special Offer click on the link below:
WWW.WEBNAMESOLUTION.COM/PURCHASE
Thank you for your interest.
[email protected]​
I decided to ignore this since I don't want to encourage spam and I don't want to spend more than reg fee for that domain anyway.
I kept monitoring the domain status and tonight - bingo - they cancelled the name. Now it's mine :evil:

It's not the first time this scenario happens. Proof once again that some people are abusing the registrar cancel/refund policy. They catch expired names, test them for traffic and then make up their mind whether to keep or cancel.
So if you are trying to catch a dropping name but get beat by a drop registrar keep monitoring the name for at least a week. Sometimes names are abandoned and you might still recover them.

BTW the name is still offered for sale on their site :-P
 
I received one recently the same way. Although I didn't receive a spam email. I just decided to check the availability a week later and it was available.
 
Wow you guys got kind of lucky, Good luck NameLEgend (Joe)
 
Excellent catch and strategy. It's surprising how some of the dropcatchers can be beat at their own game... then again, chances are they're making their money.

:) Sweet having the .net too - now all you need is the non-hyphenated version!

Rob
 
sdsinc said:
I am the registrant of corps-diplomatique.net. Seeing that corps-diplomatique.com was due to expire I tried to catch the name as it dropped.
Unfortunately someone beat me to it.

Then I receive this spam:
(E-mail from whois of course)
02-Nov-2005 23:36

I decided to ignore this since I don't want to encourage spam and I don't want to spend more than reg fee for that domain anyway.
I kept monitoring the domain status and tonight - bingo - they cancelled the name. Now it's mine :evil:

It's not the first time this scenario happens. Proof once again that some people are abusing the registrar cancel/refund policy. They catch expired names, test them for traffic and then make up their mind whether to keep or cancel.
So if you are trying to catch a dropping name but get beat by a drop registrar keep monitoring the name for at least a week. Sometimes names are abandoned and you might still recover them.

BTW the name is still offered for sale on their site :-P

I believe it is the registrar's that are doing this. To my knowledge, most registrar's do not have a refund policy. The registrant can cancel the name, but without refund.
 
what registrar where you using?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom