Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

icecreams.com WARNING I was think I was scammed on this sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I was scammed by someone going by Amylee at ************* when I sold them icecreams.com for $600. I just received notification that the funds are being reversed.

Here is the info used to facilitate the scam:

BusinessWebLTD
Amy Lee ([email protected])
+1.4163542457
Fax: +1.4163542457
BillteaST
Toronto, - L4t2T1
CA

If anyone else has had problems with this person please PM me or post.
Also any advice on legal proceedings is appreciated.

I have kept all email corrospndance and plan to send to the register of transfer and pursue all means necessary to get my money or my name back.

Sincerely,
Charles T Kirkpatrick

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's being redirected to www.trytraffic.com now:

Domain name: trytraffic.com

Registrant Contact:
Try Traffic Web, Inc.
N Sohail ([email protected])
(905)405-0023
Fax: (905)654-0023
6A - 7086 Airport Rd.
Mississauga, ONTARIO L4T 2G8
CA

Administrative Contact:
Try Traffic Web, Inc.
(905)405-0023
6A - 7086 Airport Rd.
CA

Technical Contact:
Try Traffic Web, Inc.
(905)405-0023
6A - 7086 Airport Rd.
CA

Billing Contact:
Try Traffic Web, Inc.
(905)405-0023
6A - 7086 Airport Rd.
CA

Name Servers:
NS1.MIDPHASE.COM
NS2.MIDPHASE.COM

Creation date: 27 Dec 2003 18:36:07
Expiration date: 27 Dec 2004 18:36:07

Perhaps there's a link there.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info George.

The person is a member at a different forum and has trytraffic.com listed as their website.

I don't understand why they are reversing charges since it is obvious they have control unless they are attempting to steal the domain.

So far they have not responded to my email. I have posted this at the other forums and have sent all corrospondance to RegFly.com where I did the in house transfer.

I am hoping it is a misunderstanding but I am treating it as I am being scammed because the money is beng taken from me and I no longer have control of icecreams.com.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whether you got paid for the transfer is not a registrar issue. From the registrar's point of view, a transfer is valid if it was authorized by the registrant. Period. Determining whether there was some contract wholly extraneous to the registrar's services is outside of their scope.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. It looks rather bleak when you put it that way.

I chatted with a customer rep for RegFly.com who advised me to send all information to an admin there. He seemed to think there might be some hope. Maybe he was just telling me what I wanted to hear I don't know.

Regardless I sent all info.

I'm not making much on these deals and it sucks when you think you're getting ripped off in the process.

If anyone knows if I can prevent the current controller of transfering icecreams.com out from RegFly.com I'd appreciate that input.

I requested it in my email to Regfly.com but, I will also fill out any necessary paperwork to get my name back.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
think said:
I think I was scammed by someone going by Amylee at ************* when I sold them icecreams.com for $600. I just received notification that the funds are being reversed.

Did he pay via "Paypal"? If so I would let them know as well. Maybe they can put a freeze on his account while they investigate. You barely even need a reason for Paypal to lock a account from what I've heard.

This may put some pressure on him to "un-reverse" the charges...

Also, could you publish what his account is (if you used Paypal). That will alert people of potential problems...

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Thank you for your reply. It looks rather bleak when you put it that way."

I am simply saying that it would be surprising if the registrar were to care.

It is not clear by what system you handled the payment for this transaction. Typically people use escrow services to avoid this sort of situation (from the once-bitten twice-shy department).

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was through Paypal. It will be my last $500 and over sale where I don't use escrow as Paypal does nothing to protect the seller.

I really think that stinks that someone can fraudulently use someone elses Paypal account and get away with this.

Paypal should be coming to me demanding information to uncover the thieves but rather they are making me jump through hoops to find the right way to report the fraud and making it my obligation even though my account wasn't the problem.

Paypal says the paypal account owner claims his account was broken into. They also state that because it is a domain name sale and not a physical one I am SOL.

I always figured escrow was to mostly protect the buyer. Now I see how wrong I am since Paypal isn't worried because they don't lose any money in situations like these.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
think said:

Here is the info used to facilitate the scam:

BusinessWebLTD
Amy Lee ([email protected])
+1.4163542457
Fax: +1.4163542457
BillteaST
Toronto, - L4t2T1
CA

If anyone else has had problems with this person please PM me or post.
Also any advice on legal proceedings is appreciated.

I have kept all email corrospndance and plan to send to the register of transfer and pursue all means necessary to get my money or my name back.

Sincerely,
Charles T Kirkpatrick

Not always from fraud.

Paypal seems to enjoy "locking" funds when a suspicious transaction occurs. They did this to me, said it would be resolved within 7 biz days, three months later, they still hold hundreds of mine while they "investigate".

Be careful not to accuse the buyer too soon, unless there is hard evidence.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This appears to be a theft, just as though they had reached into your pocket and stolen your money. It should be reported to the FBI which has a cybercrimes division. The lesson to be learned as was said above is that you should always, whether buyer or seller, use an escrow provision. Many attorneys, including myself, provide this service free of charge.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update.

I have used paypal for transactions like this many times and this is the first trouble I have had. In hind site I will use escrow for larger sales in the future (unless I know the individual) as this has been a huge headache for me.

So far Paypal has done nothing but complain about the negative balance my account now has. I plan to keep bugging them and I am seriously considering calling the FBI as Paypal seems to think just reversing charges solves the problem.

Paypal claims the individual who's account was used to pay for the name was the victim of fraud. I think I am the victim of fraud. either way I don't know why Paypal wouldn't be more aggresive in trying to protect its customers from this.

I sent all relevant documents to RegisterFly.com and they have locked the domain and are investigating. Although this does not guarantee I will get icecreams.com back, I am grateful for RegisterFly.com's help in trying to resolve this issue.

Thank you to all who have replied to this thread.

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe Afternic stopped accepting Paypal for transactions due to similar reasons.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not experienced any fraud from anyone on this forum. The only time I did experience fraud was when a person sold me a license for vbulletin which he had purchased with a stolen credit card. I was looking on webhostingtalk.com and saw positive feedback from many other people but I didn't find out about this scam until 6 months later when I tried to update my software and noticed it was invalid because the owner of the card had reversed the charges. I contacted paypal about getting my money returned and they were supposed to give me 60 days from point of discovery to send in the affidavit but they ended up shorting me on my time stating that I didn't send in the proper notifications by the deadline. They tried to lie at first and not follow proper legal procedures. So I guess technically I lost $100 I could have received back but vBulletin re-instated my license so I'm not too upset.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Paypal is very faulty in what they say and actually do. I bought a all-in-one printer off of ebay which stated New with a 1 year manufacturer warrantee on the auction. The printer arrived in a box with practically no package stuffing so it pretty much bounced it's way across the US. By the time it arrived at my door everything was broke but it was probably broke when it left the warehouse. I called Compaq and they said theres no warrantee. Contacted the seller and he said he would submit a request from the dropshipper for a refund. Never heard anything back just before my 30 days were up I submited to paypal for a reverse and they declined because I received the damaged goods.

So here's a tip for those wanting to make some fraudulent cash. Use Paypal and sell damaged goods on ebay using whatever you want in your ad as a guarantee and you'll never have a chargeback.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
bidawinner said:
Lets turn some people over in the graves :laugh:
LOL.

I don't think they are bad people in the sense that they don't want to help, its just that in my case the support was horrible.

So were their policy's on pushes, similar to godaddy which I hate.

Not where I like to buy names from :)

In any event, helping is far from giving the name back :)

- Jordan

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Heh, wait till they send you the renewal notices for the name.
You'll see!

laugh out loud

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Man, Think... I feel for ya... It's really pissing me off all the scammers and flat out thieves nowadays.

If it makes ya feel any better and with omitting a long story and details, I was in a position where I had to trust various people with various amounts totalling around $75,000... Sure enough, many of them stole from me (taking about $60,000 of that with them)! That was just in the last 9 months too :-(

So, I'm not a happy camper... but life goes on.

Out of maybe 25 people I've dealt with lately... only about 15 were honest and keep their end of the deal. The rest, flat out lied and stole my hard-earned dollars.

Anyway, that's my rant :p

Good luck with your case!!!

Wesley

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's really pissing me off all the scammers and flat out thieves nowadays.

As long as there are people who are willing to deal with them, then they will be around.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your first tip-off was someone using a free email host. I never ever do business with anyone on a free account.

Recently I was contacted by an attorney who wanted to handle my trademark issues. He was on a Yahoo account instead of a 'real' email and that just made me leery.

To me, real business people have real email addresses.

At least with a 'real' email you can track someone down. Try doing so on a free host ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom