Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

IDN Values!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Do IDN's (.com mainly, of course) still have ANY value?
How about ©1.com, for instance?
All intelligent comments/opinions welcome! :)

Thanks!

Domain summit 2024

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Real IDN terms have the same native search volumes and in some cases even type-in traffic as english keywords do.
You just need to take the time and do your research which most people find too confusing to understand.
Domains like ©1.com are meaningless.

Domains like 日本.com ("Japan" in japanese) which sold for $100,000 or 動画.com ("Videos" in japanese) which sold for $35,069 on Snapnames do sell regularly within the IDN circle, but still have yet to receive many native end-user sales outside of that circle.

FYI here are some search volume stats of those same keywords, to show they get searched in japan just like they do in english:

日本 - 201,000 Exact Monthly Searches $0.83 cpc
動画 - 550,000 Exact Monthly Searches $0.37 cpc

Galxie

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Москва.com sold for $216,000 back in 2011

In my opinion its seems as if these idn domains are a hit and miss a lot of times.

I am also interested in learning more about idn domain names...Any idn experts on here?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They can be hit or miss with a majority being "misses", but most of the misses are due to lack of understanding the language, tense, context.. etc..

For example, I think we'd all agree that Love.com is a $1M+ english domain.

Now if you plug in a bunch of foreign words into a simple online translator you might get a word that means something like "fondness".. it might translate exactly as "love" in english though or might be an adjective when you are expecting it to be a verb. Because the little translator tool says it means love and google images shows pictures of hearts, one assumes they have the equivalent to a $1M name, when in fact they really own the equivalent of something like "Fondness.com" which I think everyone would agree is not even in the same ballpark.. arguably not even in the same league or even sport for that matter.

Additionally some languages have words that don't even exist in other languages at all. It takes a keen understanding and use of multiple tools, often native language speakers to ensure you are truly getting a domain that means what you think it does. Most don't go to these great lengths and think they have rare and valuable idn keywords when in fact they mean something else, cannot stand as terms on their own, are in the wrong tense, or may be one of a dozen or more ways to describe the word, but might not be the "popular" or "prime" term. This is where most stop.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Luckily when purchasing going to wacky looking CVCVCV's, going for CVCV's and spotting an IDN, I have a tool that I can yell at to get over to my computer screen and see if it makes sense.

Most of them don't or aren't even close (wrong context, wrong text, wouldn't make sense like storeshoe.com). I knew KU - SO was on auction and I was on my lunch break at the time monitoring it, when getting back to my desk to sneak in my sniping bid, it had already closed at mid 4. However, that's the main Japanese word for pretty much any curse word. I was surprised that it went that low.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do IDN's (.com mainly, of course) still have ANY value?
I don't see a lot of sales. While there have been a few (very few) big sales, I have a hunch they were speculative.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have the pair, both get traffic/$$

mobıle de
mobıle com

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great feedback.
ANY of these worth renewing?:

®1.COM

A©.COM

E©.COM

GO©.COM

I©.COM

«».COM

M©.COM

®MY.COM

©MY.COM

O©.COM

©P.COM

TO©.COM

U©.COM

WWW©.COM

©WWW.COM

»».COM
Please let me know by today :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but these domains are garbage. I thought you were talking about real IDNs, I mean Chinese keywords for example, or some other non-Latin script.
These domains are vanity strictly. There is no scarcity for domains like these, and they don't sell.
Also note that they are unlikely to get type-in.
For instance © is not on the standard keyboards.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but these domains are garbage. I thought you were talking about real IDNs, I mean Chinese keywords for example, or some other non-Latin script.
These domains are vanity strictly. There is no scarcity for domains like these, and they don't sell.
Also note that they are unlikely to get type-in.
For instance © is not on the standard keyboards.

Thanks Katherine...already dropped :)

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just my $0.02 - living here in Canada, I have never seen a French IDN in production use (i.e. promoted as a business identity) either online or on buildings / vehicles / signs, etc. It's a somewhat import indicator, in my opinion, when there is little if any end use of these names.

I own a few French domains, and haven't even bothered checking for the French IDN variants.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes the latin based idns seem to be confusing and seldom used.. from what I've seen most prefer to just type languages like French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, etc.. as is without the special accent marks. Japanese/Chinese, Russian, Thai, Korean.. these are all entirely different scripts.. there is not an easy way to navigate and type in ways other than these languages. Those are the ones of most interest.

RUUR

Trilingual: Русский, Español & English
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I love there is a real IDN discussion going on. My name is DeVan and I'm very big on IDN.com's and I'm fluent in English, Russian and Spanish. I own a few big Russian and Arabic Domains.

BE CAREFUL OF GOOGLE TRANSLATE if you don't know Russian! Example: Russian Fashion = "русская Мода," but google gives you the improper translation "Русский Мода"
**Russian words change like Spanish for Gender and situation**
This is my Spanish example to help you understand: Latin Girl = Latina Chica, but Google is stating the Russian Text as Latino Chica which mixes the male form with a feminine word.

русская#com
Translation in English: "Russian"
Translation in Spanish: "Russa"
Dictionary Word: Yes
Uses: :music:
Russian Music - русская музыка
Russian Fashion - русская Мода
Russian Girl - русская девушка
Russian Keyboard - русская клавиатура
Russian Vodka - русская водка

If you have an iPhone and select the Russian it is labeled "русская" :blush: because of the Keyboard. It's not labeled "русский"
Here is a Link To the Russian Keyboard on an IPhone the space bar states русская:http://kuru2.st/iphone/russian/img/russian-keyboard.png

каз#com
Kazakhstan has two official languages: Kazakh and Russian.
Kazakh: Қазақстан
Russian: Казахстан

Kazakstan has an official IDN ccTLD in Kazakh
(.қаз ). In Russian this is каз
65% of Kazakstan speaks Russian, 25% of Kazakstan are Russian.

тубе#com
туб#com
тубе#рф

YouTube in Russian = Ютубе.
НЙС#рф
НЙС#com
НЙг#рф
НЙг#com
НЙ#рф
Н-Й#com
Н-Й#рф
New York in Russian = Нью-Йорк
Russians only use the word City if it's in the name of the city like "Kansas City" city =
"Сити" Otherwise we Call the city to be gorod (город) or "г" for short.

I have plenty of more Russian Knowledge for people who are interested! We can keep the convo going or Send me a DM here
or Tweet @VSTV/ IG @DDQB / Email D.Dineen@Yandex . RU

RUUR

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just wrote my expert opinion on Russian IDN. If there is an arabic interest I can help.

"Москва.com sold for $216,000 back in 2011

In my opinion its seems as if these idn domains are a hit and miss a lot of times.

I am also interested in learning more about idn domain names...Any idn experts on here?"

RUUR

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of russian IDN's (.RF) sold on auction.nic.ru almost everyday, but no one reports them.

I see a domain right now with 2 bids at $570 ending April 14th (venture-fund).

The Majority of IDN sales are private and don't get listed on the normal DNJournal.com Even the big sale of .Moscow was not listed until the following year after because it took some convincing for the new buyer to later drop his NDA that was signed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators