Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.INFO Hits 1 Million Registrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.INFO has passed the 1-million registration mark. Afflias will make the official announcement tomorrow.

The new extensions aren't going away. The market is accepting them. The world is changing. Don't tell the ostriches, they can't bear to look! :)

Domain Summit 2024

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The registrars' propaganda is obviously working!

M

mole

Got the news release here achived safely at DNF :)

.INFO Reaches 1 Million Registrations

GoDaddy registers .INFO's 1 millionth name

DUBLIN, IRELAND - 19 November 2002 - Afilias, a global provider of domain name registry services, announced Tuesday that its flagship product .INFO, has surpassed 1,000,000 registrations in just over one year of operation. The one millionth name, los-angeles-real-estate-search.info, was registered through GoDaddy Software, Inc., one of .INFO's leading registrars. This milestone cements .INFO's leadership of the new TLDs and solidly places it as the six-largest domain in the world.

"This milestone is of great importance both to Afilias and the global Internet community," said Hal Lubsen, Afilias Chief Executive Officer. "The significant market response to .INFO clearly demonstrates the importance of having a global home for information on the Internet and underscores the value in the expanding TLD market. Over 265,000 of these registrations are already live, dedicated Web sites, and .INFO addresses are even being used in ads, further illustrating .INFO's movement into the mainstream."

.INFO launched in September 2001, and was the first of seven new TLDs chosen by ICANN in November 2000 to relieve congestion in the top level domain space historically dominated by .COM. It achieved over half a million registrations in the first 90 days of operation and since then has continued to build on its business. The biggest sector of growth for .INFO has been in Europe which now accounts for 52% of .INFO's global registrations. Of all the new TLDs, .INFO also boasts the highest percentage of active sites -- close to 70% -- as well as the largest number of live, dedicated Web sites that encompass 27% of its registrations and approaches .COM's 35%.

"From the outset .INFO has maintained a solid and steady rate of growth," said Mason Cole, Publisher of State of the Domain (www.sotd.info). ".INFO and the rest of the new TLDs have been a positive influence on the domain name industry overall and have added a dynamic new vehicle to fuel competition between registrars."

From the beginning, .INFO's registrations have been a dramatic counterpoint to the trends in .COM, .NET and .ORG, which have found their home in North American markets. The majority of .INFO registrations are from Europe at close to 52% with the next closest market being North America, which accounts for 39%. Asia-Pacific accounts for about 7% and Africa and Latin America account for 1% each. In addition, .INFO has bucked the trend of leading registrars -- with Germany's Schlund + Partner outpacing VeriSign for the number one registrar slot. GoDaddy remains fifth (and growing) for .INFO business, and it is also fifth globally for combined .COM, .NET, .ORG, .BIZ, .INFO, and .NAME (according to www.registrarstats.com).

"We are pleased to have registered .INFO's 1 millionth name and think that this milestone bodes well for its ultimate success," said Tim Ruiz of GoDaddy Software, Inc. ".INFO has been an asset to our business from the very beginning and has helped us accelerate through the ranks of the top ten registrars."

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have always believed in, and welcomed the .info extension. I believe it has a valid, worthy purpose in cyber. Many .com large corp's and Co's are reg'ing the .info to use for the 'general info' related to their company.

Long live the .info domain extension. It's a great extension!

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
According to one article, the fabled millionth .info domain is los-angeles-real-estate-search.info. Rather grotesquely-long name... probably registered under the school of thought that "Long domains with lots of keywords get indexed well in search engines" (unproven, and probably works just as well with subdomains). And the registrant is in Chicago, not L.A.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dtobias
According to one article, the fabled millionth .info domain is los-angeles-real-estate-search.info. Rather grotesquely-long name... probably registered under the school of thought that "Long domains with lots of keywords get indexed well in search engines" (unproven, and probably works just as well with subdomains). And the registrant is in Chicago, not L.A.

Too bad that's the reg that will get all of the publicity for being #1 million. Could have been a great advertisement for how sensible the .info extension can be.

M

mole

Originally posted by dtobias

I don't see a problem to that. Look at feel-free.info - an anti-smoking website promoted on MTV Europe. It's got a hyphen.

I won't be so hasty to call attempts by webmasters trying to use .info for clarity in delivering the information people want through a clearly worded URL grotesque.

.info means something to people, you know. .com means a rip-off to most who lost their savings in the crazy speculative fever of 1997-1999.

.info recognition continues to rise each day we live. .com, is like a deflating balloon with no more euphoric hopes for riches that drove the ridiculous dreams on Afternic.

Like it or not, ICANN (The Evil Beast) will see to that.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
feel-free.info is a much shorter name than los-angeles-real-estate-search.info, and easier typed and remembered. The mere presence of a hyphen doesn't automatically make a name grotesque (though it makes it harder to say out loud and make sure people type it right), but the combination of hyphens and a very long name add up to grotesqueity (is that a word?). Probably, la-realestate.info would be better.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl

Too bad that's the reg that will get all of the publicity for being #1 million. Could have been a great advertisement for how sensible the .info extension can be.

That ties in nicely with my 1.1 million registration saturation theory..

people start reaching..cant find a decent name so they start making cr*p up..

it's a lame name no matter how much we try and twist it otherwise.. hey, I am someone totally comfratable with the idea that "hyphens" are /can be acceptable..

but that name simply sucks..

I agree Duke..it's to bad.. you think they could have maybe "worked" the numbers a bit and and number 1 millionth could have landed anywheres considering tens of thosands of .Info were "bogus" registrations...

You would think someone in Afilias Marketing would have been bright enough to step and say ..no thats not the 1 millionth.and picked something else out of the last few hundred or so...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Precisely Bid! Since I'm involved in marketing, the stupidity of blowing that golden free advertising moment by putting that name out there was distressing. Can't believe no one Afilias realized that.

M

mole

Originally posted by bidawinner
frightful thought ..what if that announcement did come out of a corporate meeting !

Yeah, it may have been based on someone's notion that the .info is so powerful and meaningful, people would even register a name like that.

Well on the positive side, at least the name wasn't ilovedotcom.info. :eek:

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guys - excuse me if I have overlooked this information somewhere because of the way I have to pop in and out - but could somebody post the total number of registrations so far for .info - .us - .biz respectively?

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper
Guys - excuse me if I have overlooked this information somewhere because of the way I have to pop in and out - but could somebody post the total number of registrations so far for .info - .us - .biz respectively?

well... NamePopper... since you asked so nicely....

http://www.whois.sc/internet-statistics/

...and also since you CONTROL THE ROBOTS THAT ARE COMING SOON TO TAKE OVER THE GALAXY!!!. AAAIIIIIHHHHH!!!! :eek: :eek: ...here is a link

M

mole

Just look at the way .us registration is flying after the kids.us announcement :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom