• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

is this a scam - domain name offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseau

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2002
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Well I am hoping some of you more experienced domain name negotiators have an opinion on this one. My better judgement tells me it is foolishness but my side to make money wonders.

I owned this domain name I reg'd myself for about 2 years. When I realized I just did not have time to develop the intended website, I put it up on a parking page with a for sale sign. In over a year, I never got one peep. I thought I could sell it for about $1000 but no-one was interested in making an offer.

The other day, I decide to auction it for less than $100 thinking I am wasting my time keeping it. All of a sudden I get an email - someone wanting to buy it and how much is the lowest I'll take.

I'm thinking what a stupid question, you can see what I am asking for it. So I email the guy and ask how I know him, where did he see the domain.

He says he doesn't remember but would I take btw $4k and $6k. He is hoping I would stay closer to the lower end at $3.5k and if it is above $7k, he is not sure.

Why would anyone send me emails with this kind of offer. What would they have to gain? Would you enter into negotiations?

Something seems really fishy here. I mean I would love to have the money and if it was more around the $1k I originally wanted, I would think twice but such as huge amount???

any opinions on this???
 
sounds a bit fishy to me... If he asks you to pay for an appraisal and he tells you to use a particular appraisal site then it is a scam... otherwise who knows...
 
What he would do is telling you that he will offer 3K or something in that range and ask you to get an appraisal (properly point to one of his sites), and you need to pay for the appraisal fee. Once you paid for the appraisal fee, you will never heard from him again.

This is old trick.
 
Thx so much elivate and johnn for the quick responses - really glad I asked - hadn't heard of that angle before but knew there must be something

thx again
 
Does sound fishy...tell this person to do one of two things:

1. bid on your auction.
or
2. put in their best BIN into Sedo or afternic.

Tell them you will receive no other communication on the matter except in the above two methods. Do not correspond via e-mail with them anymore.

As mentioned in another post...there is an old appraisal scam...so do not fall for that.
 
good suggestions onward - thank you
 
What he would do is telling you that he will offer 3K or something in that range and ask you to get an appraisal (properly point to one of his sites), and you need to pay for the appraisal fee. Once you paid for the appraisal fee, you will never heard from him again.

This is old trick.

Exactly...Its just another appraisal scam, reply with a high offer, and you'll get: XXXX? OK!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom