• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

I've got a fish on the line...suggestions needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats!!.......what was the name?....if u wish to share it....
 
Thanks for sharing. It's always nice to hear succesful stories. BTW, how much were domain costs in 97?
 
That's a really nice story. Will they agree to have it published on dnjounal?
 
domain costs in 1997 were $35 per year, with a 2 year minimum (i believe that is how netsol was doing it). I've bitched about it here a ton of times, but I was a big time idiot - I bought over 50 names in 1997...48 names that would sell for a $250 -$5k, 1 name I just sold for a nice sum, and one remaining name I built a site on that makes me nice money. Guess I can't complain about things too much, but I could be sitting on a beach somewhere if I had just picked a different 50 names...!
 
good job - domains kick a$$!
 
$35k for a decent domain regged in 1997 was a good buy :-)
 
Now this is what I'm talking about. Go with your gut feeling and negotiate. Great job! Now that the book is closed, would you mind sharing the name with us if you don't mind?. If not I understand.
 
Congrats gmac17!!!

Sound like - your decisions were right resulting with successful sale.

Thanks for the info.
 
Nice work, thanks for sharing
 
I am definitely happy with this sale, it was a nice brandable name that only an end user would have paid this much for. The company that bought it is a big company. In all honesty I probably could have gotten 50%-100% more for the name if i started my negotiations higher. BUT, you go into these things blind and at the end of the day i still got a good price for the name.


You never go broke because of your profits. Nice job, sounds like you handled it really well and didn't get crazy from greed. The people who get crazy from greed are called "collectors", not domainers.
 
Let's not forget or let get lost in these transactions that the customer may be buying a tangible name and perceived value to them but there is an intrinsic value and that is of your time and intellect and creativity and expense in obtaining and retaining the name and making it available for sale.

There is a value for intellectual property and we all owe it to ourselves to reward ourselves by insuring that our asking price reflects some value and cash for our time and energy and effort expended.

just my .02

Congrats BTW

Sa
 
Let's not forget or let get lost in these transactions that the customer may be buying a tangible name and perceived value to them but there is an intrinsic value and that is of your time and intellect and creativity and expense in obtaining and retaining the name and making it available for sale.

There is a value for intellectual property and we all owe it to ourselves to reward ourselves by insuring that our asking price reflects some value and cash for our time and energy and effort expended.


That's a great point.

Lost in the whole "i just got paid WHAT for something I've invested $120 in since 1997??" is the fact that in 1997 i was 1 year out of college and putting these names on my credit card while sitting in a holiday inn in Minnesota. And all those hours scanning lists and buying names for the past 10 years are a part of these big sales (even though not directly related).

I'm going to write a post about that when i start my marketing blog...someday, thanks SA.
 
Congrats on the sale - great story!

I didn't see the post orginally, but for what its worth, there was a famous or infamous (depending on your view) stock broker who succinctly stated his methodology when making trading decisions:
"the downside pain is always greater than the upside gain"

For me, that one line in tandem with "you can't go broke taking a profit" pretty much governs any divestment decision I make.

We can't always make perfect decisions, we just want the right decisions to count for more than the less than perfect ones.

Results are based on what we do, not what we could have done, and the good news is there is no shortage of yesterday's opportunities - today.

start the marketing blog and post today!! momentum is on your side......

Just my 2 cents worth......
 
also to remember........BULLS make $$$$.......BEARS make $$$$......PIGS GET SLAUGHTERED!!!!!..........way to go GMAC!
 
or Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered!
 
Good job. Reinvest the money in domains. Buy a better quality name than the one you sold with a portion of the proceeds.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom