Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

James Carville dumps .com for .info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I handle media relations for AutographedToYou.com, a company that has contracts with over 1,000 Movie, TV and Sports celebrities to provide personalized autographed photos to fans. I just got a note from noted TV political commentator James Carville to change his website link on our site. He is dumping his .com address, the unwieldy jamescarvillesoffice.com and moving the site to carville.info.

Carville was a top advisor to President Clinton and is now seen regularly on CNN's Crossfire show. It is just one instance, but it is an interesting example of someone who was previously stuck with an absurdly long, hard to remember and spell .com, transitioning to a much better name in another extension.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
VERY interesting 'tidbit, Duke! Thanks.
That WAS one long, ugly (IMO) web address. I guess ".INFO" does have it's place ... though I would have like to have seen either:
JamesCarville.com
or
JamesCarville.US ... yes, I did say ".US". You're beginning to convince me on this extension, in particular ... for personal names, at least.
Thanks again. :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:laugh: CH, I knew if I browbeat you long enough you would start moving toward .US!

In Carville's case, I think .info is the perfect extension. That is what he deals in. People want information about him personally, what time shows he is on will be televised, public appearances, etc. This is one of those occasions when even I would take the .info over the .us (though he really should get both).

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
:laugh: CH, I knew if I browbeat you long enough you would start moving toward .US!

Very effective, too! LOL. :)
Thanks.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
... (though he really should get both).

Really, YOU should write him back, regarding the ".US". Wouldn't you just love to see/hear that address promoted on his show??
WOW.
Seriously! :)
Take care for now.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost

Really, YOU should write him back, regarding the ".US". Wouldn't you just love to see/hear that address promoted on his show??
WOW.
Seriously! :)
Take care for now.

That is a GREAT idea CoolHost - I would love to see that. I scurried to find out who has the name and was quickly deflated though. For some reason, the .US registry has kept that name on their reserved list - no one can register it! Bummer. :sad:

arpmn

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
That WAS one long, ugly (IMO) web address...
It fit so well with Mr. Carville who IS one long winded, ugly dude! :D
I do agree the carville.info is much better!

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JAMESCARVILLE.COM - not available

The following addresses ARE AVAILABLE.

JAMESCARVILLE.US
JAMESCARVILLE.NET
JAMESCARVILLE.ORG
JAMESCARVILLE.BIZ
JAMESCARVILLE.BIZ
JAMESCARVILLE.INFO
JAMESCARVILLE.WS

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke, you should really tell Carville's people to register JamesCarville.info as well and point it to Carville.info. People may remember that its a .info, but they may forget if it was just the last name or full name.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by greggish
Duke, you should really tell Carville's people to register JamesCarville.info as well and point it to Carville.info. People may remember that its a .info, but they may forget if it was just the last name or full name.

Actually, Greggish I did just that earlier today (also suggested to his webmaster that they get some of the other extensions). Not sure if they will act on it. Even a lot of web designers are not hip to the importance of the names. Seems strange to us but that is the real world for you.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke, not that's it's your problem, but you also might want to tell them that Carville.info doesn't resolve without the WWW. in front.

M

mole

Who, the new domain extensions .info and .biz were introduced by ICANN to help free the internet community from psychos and blackmailers and cybersquatters from the insiduous profiteering that bordered on the ridiculous.

But of course, the cybersquatters/fraudsters also grabbed .info and .biz as well :D Ah, some things never change it would seem.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Actually, Greggish I did just that earlier today (also suggested to his webmaster that they get some of the other extensions). Not sure if they will act on it. Even a lot of web designers are not hip to the importance of the names. Seems strange to us but that is the real world for you.

I agree, I found few names that was registered in .info or .biz and .com is still available. :greenconfused

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Who, the new domain extensions .info and .biz were introduced by ICANN to help free the internet community from psychos and blackmailers and cybersquatters from the insiduous profiteering that bordered on the ridiculous.

But of course, the cybersquatters/fraudsters also grabbed .info and .biz as well :D Ah, some things never change it would seem.

But maybe can minimize it, because squatters have to invest more.

M

mole

Originally posted by .com.net.org
But maybe can minimize it, because squatters have to invest more.

Absolutely cng, cybersquatters spend all their time trying to find ways to squat on potentially profitable domains. Real business spend all their time trying to make a living on the bricks-and-mortar world. Everyone has only 24hrs a day. It's a question of whats important, results/profitability or speculation/gambling (the imagined easy buck).

You can justify the secondary market existence through rheoterics, but at the end of the day, speculators are just draining the URL system for pure selfish and unproductive reasons.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why the hell did he take JamesCarvillesOffice.com to begin with when CarvilleOnline.com and JamesCarvilleOnline.com are available?

M

mole

Originally posted by greggish
Why the hell did he take JamesCarvillesOffice.com to begin with when CarvilleOnline.com and JamesCarvilleOnline.com are available?

Online sucks. Period.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying CarvilleOnline.com is great, but it's much better than JamesCarvillesOffice.com if you absolutely have to have a .com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom