Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

LAME-DELEGATION.ORG! how it was used to snag names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A LAME-DELEGATION name is a domain that has one
or more of it's nameservers in the expired state.
Lets say domain ICCO.COM has two nameservers
IPAD.CRCNETWORKS.COM and IPAD.CNXCC.COM and
CNXCC.COM is available for registration or is
a "lame delegation" for the domain ICCO.COM.
If one wishes to take control of ICCO.COM and
maybe transfer it to a third party for a period
of time and then to themselves. All they have to
do is register the lame nameserver CNXCC.COM
and create a nameserver IPAD.CNXCC.COM that reflects all the same ip addresses as the good
nameserver IPAD.CRCNETWORKS.COM and let the
dust settle a bit. At the desired point then
change the MX pointer for email to route the
email to you during the request for transfer
of the name ICCO.COM. Of course you have picked
a domain that has the Admin contact email address
[email protected] and you promptly reply the transfer is OK and set the MX record back if
needed but most names in this state may not even have a working email address. Once you snag the name in a third party name for a few months then
push the name in your account. At the expiration date the previous owner receives no notice and
the name expires in his mind. In order to stop
this abuse of the DNS system the LAME-DELEGATION.ORG was set up and provided a
clearing house for the lame nameservers domains.
However I'm not sure what oversight this group has
and what rules they follow. These names are all over the map.

HLK

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That was the best explanation I have heard yet.
Thank's Mr. D :))

Interesting information. Wonder if the DNF morality squad will let it stand?

Miles

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HMMmmmm.....That was some interesting stuff. I think I will have to document it. :)

Thanks!

Ok,

safesys, dotodomains, bidawinner, WilliamC, what do you think now?? No need to apologize for your rudeness and silly name calling though, I realize it was all borne of frustration.

Someone has spoon fed you the data and explained how the domains I listed were stolen.

Anyone want to see the whole list of prized stolen names? Anyone want to see the list of names these thieves will likely steal in the coming days? How about it BidAWinner and WilliamC how about you guys produce the lists?

And no, I have not stolen names with this method, I am trying to simply bring this issue to the forefront for consumer awareness and legal action to seize the stolen names!

One more thing...

The thief/thieves that use this technique to steal domains have some things in common:

1. Use foreign, fake address in other countries believing they are outside the law.
2. Use DotRegistrar and Enom to transfer their names after stealing them from NetSol accounts.
3. Use free/mass email addresses like Yahoo, Hotmail, bluemail.ch, etc.

C'mon WilliamC, BidAwinner, DotsoDomains, surely you can see something now....or do you need another spoonful of force fed truth?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
>>Interesting information. Wonder if the DNF morality squad will let it stand?

It's important that information such as this - especially coming from such an esteemed source as exody.com's Dwayne Rowland - needs to be made public so that more pressure can be brought on the authorities to stop this fraud.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BTW nameinvestor, I should add that by no means am I implying that you aren’t an esteemed source. Indeed, you are to be congratulated for being a whistleblower, although a tad more tact and diplomacy on your behalf would have earned you less scorn from some quarters :)

But you did earn yourself some rapid Dan bux out of your posts, LOL. I look forward to reading more from you.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by askii
In order to stop this abuse of the DNS system the LAME-DELEGATION.ORG was set up...

Actually, LAME-DELEGATION.ORG has nothing to do with security (even if a little is gained as a side effect).

There are a lot of expired domain names that could not be deleted because they have hosts registered as name servers. Deleting the name servers would cause any other domain using the name servers to have lame delegation (i.e. non-working DNS). To allow these expired domains to be deleted, the expired name servers have been renamed to LAMEnnnnn.LANE-DELEGATION.ORG. This way they can continue to work, but the domain name the name server previously belonged to can be dropped.

Hopefully this will lead to Verisign releasing a lot of long-dormant domain names.

askii

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see... If anyone out there ever snagged a name
using this big security hole, please come forward.
Well... nobody ... ok.. I guess that settles that!
Network Solutions will really go to the extreme
to fix a problem that they created in order to
hold all these millions of names for all these
years. I guess the WLS would have LAME-WLS?
That's were the owner of a WLS dies trying to
get NSI to correct the deleted nameserver.

Thanks askii, useful information responsibly and concisely delivered.

nameinvestor, the problems surrounding your posts were caused by your repetitious threads that were devoid of content and more like peek-a-boo than anything constructive.

Fizz,

Good points, well taken. I will try.

Askii,

I agree with Safesys, well done, well said.

Safesys,

First you want information and "content" then the very next minute you censor threads that posts the very content you yearned for! Your critiques would have merit if they were not so hypocritical. That is ok, you do not need to say I was right all along we all know how you feel.

Ok, Fizz, I guess I need to try harder!

I can see what you mean about the censoring being hypocritical if you mean the root message from both - thats a fair comment.

To me at least though, there was a big difference in how the messages have been delivered, that was my problem with the previous thread - as was gone over numerous times in it after being grilled on high heat from miles :)

With hindsight, maybe if i had edited the offending portion of the previous thread that would have been a smarter way to deal with it - oh well, I'm only human.

Or at least where to blame for dot com bubble, if nobody trust 9/11 effect! :D

Originally posted by safesys
To me at least though, there was a big difference in how the messages have been delivered, that was my problem with the previous thread - as was gone over numerous times in it after being grilled on high heat from miles :)

With hindsight, maybe if i had edited the offending portion of the previous thread that would have been a smarter way to deal with it - oh well, I'm only human.

Hey...only lightly browned!

Still, you handled the "grilling" well...

Miles

P.S. Yeah...I think editing might have been better too (If changes needed to be made at all)...devolution's post had good information.

Just for theft outrage purposes here is a partial list of what the thief/thiefs have stolen recently:

retailer.com
nuclear.com
edition.com
china.net
advice.com
odyssey.com
client.com
luxembourg.com
fiesta.com
fiction.com
recover.com
set.com
athlete.com
netradio.com
golfclubs.com
recreation.com
rebel.com

Stand by for deletion on these names.....DotRegistrar does not want to be known as the registrar that harbors terrorists, I mean crooks. Legally, Para 23 of their Agreement requires it. Just needs a dose of ICANN prompting which is pushed via a Congressman.....;)

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameinvestor how do you get thet list :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom