• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Microsoft "Surface"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Registrant:
ANTHONY VELTRI
56 Esmond Street
Smithfield, Rhode Island 02917
United States

Registered through: Domain Names and Hosting
Domain Name: FREESURFACE.COM
Created on: 09-Mar-00
Expires on: 09-Mar-08
Last Updated on: 29-May-06

Administrative Contact:
VELTRI, ANTHONY [email protected]
56 Esmond Street
Smithfield, Rhode Island 02917
United States
401 465 7039 Fax -- 123 123 1234

Technical Contact:
VELTRI, ANTHONY [email protected]
56 Esmond Street
Smithfield, Rhode Island 02917
United States
401 465 7039 Fax -- 123 123 1234

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.DATAPIPE.NET
NS2.DATAPIPE.NET

Registrant:
CSC Corporate Domains Inc.
Domain Administrator
2711 Centerville Road
Wilmington, DE 19808
US
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: buysurface.com

Created on..............: Tue, May 29, 2007
Expires on..............: Fri, May 29, 2009
Record last updated on..: Tue, May 29, 2007

Administrative,Technical Contact:
CSC Corporate Domains Inc.
Domain Administrator
2711 Centerville Road
Wilmington, DE 19808
US
Phone: +1.3026365401
Email: [email protected]

DNS Servers:

dns32.register.com
dns31.register.com

Registrant:
VeriSign, Inc.
487 E. Middlefield Rd.
Mailstop MV 3-1-2
Mountain View, CA 94043
US

Domain name: MSSURFACE.COM

Administrative Contact:
Admin, DBMS [email protected]
487 E. Middlefield Rd.
Mailstop MV 3-1-2
Mountain View, CA 94043
US
+1.8005792848 Fax: +1.6502378883

Technical Contact:
Tech, DBMS [email protected]
487 E. Middlefield Rd.
Mailstop MV 3-1-2
Mountain View, CA 94043
US
+1.8005792848 Fax: +1.6502378883



Registration Service Provider:
DBMS VeriSign, [email protected]
800-579-2848 x4
Please contact DBMS VeriSign for domain updates, DNS/Nameserver
changes, and general domain support questions.


Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 14-May-2007.
Record expires on 15-May-2009.
Record created on 15-May-2007.

Domain servers in listed order:
A4.NSTLD.COM
F4.NSTLD.COM
G4.NSTLD.COM
L4.NSTLD.COM
Is VeriSign regging and managing it for MS?
 
This is not a new technology. It is cool, and I think it would be cool to have it in restaurants, but other than that, think about how practical it is in the home. The PC still rules the desktop baby.
 
As reported on the website, it seems that the inventors brought the idea to Bill Gates in 2003, and they started the project since then. Must have outdated Apple.
 
This is not a new technology. It is cool, and I think it would be cool to have it in restaurants, but other than that, think about how practical it is in the home. The PC still rules the desktop baby.

You are correct. This is not a new technology. The government has been using various forms of multi-touch sensors for years. Apple has this in their Iphone. As others have pointed out it's been used in various other things as well.

I believe this is a reactive move by Microsoft again. The iphone is first to the table with multi-touch for the masses. MS Surface isn't going to be available for regular consumers for another few years according to Microsoft. So what does that mean? With the Leopard coming out soon from Apple I would also expect to hear them make an announcement too. Will they be first with multi-touch laptops or multi-touch pcs?

I do believe though "multi-touch" is going to be a huge term in the technology industry. I wish I had it on my pc or laptop right now.
 
One hospital I worked at had all documentation done on computer, all touch screens. Blazingly fast for scrolling from page to page for documentation's sake.

But, DAMN...there were some nasty nasty looking screens. Then you would get the dumbasses that would use the tip of a ballpoint pen rather than their finger. Sometimes they would use the wrong end (and end up writing on the screen) or even worse create a leak in the LCD rendering it useless.

These were not cheap to replace but it seemed a great majority could care less as they were not the ones having to buy the replacement screens.

but other than that, think about how practical it is in the home. The PC still rules the desktop baby.
Exceptionally practical and speedy to use. No mouse, no keyboard, just a screen and a smaller (much smaller) CPU.

But not in the format as shown by Bill Gates (a table top? thought I was back in the 70's...what was it...Pong? Lady PacMan? oh no...the disco days).

Granted, prototypes and trials. But it's coming to a Best Buy near you. (not sure when)
 
Granted, prototypes and trials. But it's coming to a Best Buy near you. (not sure when)

I can promise sooner than later. I'd be willing to bet that the prototypes and trials are already, and have been going on, for some time for consumers. Which is why I personally believe this is a reactive stance from MS.

It's already available in the Iphone due out next month. How much harder to bring it to consumers on a laptop? It's the same technology just with different applications. I think Apple will be the first to serve it to the public too which is why MS wanted to coin the phrase "surface computing."
 
I seen something about this "surface" thing about a year ago under a different name, microsoft didnt originally make this.. i think they just bought out the company that did and renamed it.
 
I seen something about this "surface" thing about a year ago under a different name, microsoft didnt originally make this.. i think they just bought out the company that did and renamed it.

Click on "History" on Surface.com.
 
Exceptionally practical and speedy to use. No mouse, no keyboard, just a screen and a smaller (much smaller) CPU.

But not in the format as shown by Bill Gates (a table top? thought I was back in the 70's...what was it...Pong? Lady PacMan? oh no...the disco days).

Granted, prototypes and trials. But it's coming to a Best Buy near you. (not sure when)

What about writing emails? The on-screen keyboard may not be preferred.
 
i recall seeing a video on the internet a year or so ago with someone doing somthing almost identical, i thought i remebered sony involved. anyone eles remember?

You may be thinking of Phillips "Entertaibles" which were prototyped last year. These are desktop entertainment centres in a very similar vein, but stop short of being a PC and are more family game-focused.
 
I previously searched the uspto and the Microsoft website and I couldn't find any MS trademark for 'surface'.

http://www.microsoft.com/library/toolbar/3.0/trademarks/en-us.mspx

Is that because this product is being launched as a whole new "ecosystem"? ie just as computer is computer, surface is surface. Or perhaps it's just too new for TM's to show up in the uspto database and MS website?

Any thoughts as to why there appears to be no 'surface' TM ?
 
I previously searched the uspto and the Microsoft website and I couldn't find any MS trademark for 'surface'.

http://www.microsoft.com/library/toolbar/3.0/trademarks/en-us.mspx

Is that because this product is being launched as a whole new "ecosystem"? ie just as computer is computer, surface is surface. Or perhaps it's just too new for TM's to show up in the uspto database and MS website?

Any thoughts as to why there appears to be no 'surface' TM ?

TM process takes time. Also, they don't want to spoil it by regging TMs.
 
I went to the presentation 2 days ago, this thing is very cool.
They showed there an empty room for instance with an iron board
only, and everywhere on the walls were computers :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom