• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

discussion Mogul Paid $1.3 Million for a Domain Name

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2012
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
546
Mogul, a fractional real estate investment platform, is dropping its Mogul.club domain and migrating to mogul.com.

...

“We always think about how we’re not going to just be a fractional investing platform. Ultimately, we want to basically go up and down the supply chain of real estate, and so you can’t do that with Mogul.club,” Blackwood exclusively told Inc. The co-founder noted that Mogul tried to acquire the .com domain a few years ago. However, at the time, the lowest asking price was roughly $4 million.


 
The gap between a 4 million dollar ask and a 1.3 million sale is the most useful part of this story. I have seen the same pattern with names I hold. When a buyer shows up with a funded plan and a specific reason to want that exact word, sellers start quoting the highest comparable they can find, usually from another industry or a boom year. Then time passes, the buyer weighs alternatives, renewals keep coming, and the next serious conversation lands at a number someone can actually sign off on. The asset itself did not change, only the leverage did. That is why I stopped anchoring on asking prices and started tracking closed sales by keyword, length and TLD before I discuss numbers with anyone. I keep those comps in a small tracker I built for my own portfolio at dnwai, and it keeps me honest about what similar names really cleared instead of what one owner hopes for. Worth asking how many six figure asks out there are really four figure renewal bills in disguise.
 
Back
Top Bottom