• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Need a laptop - any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmac17

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Messages
320
Reaction score
0
Looking for a good PC in the $1500-$2,000 price range.

I have a toshiba right now that hasn't given me any problems in 4 years, so I am very partial to toshiba but I'm open to anything. I have a "desktop replacement" right now but would prefer something a bit smaller...

also - what's the deal with Vista? Is there any difference between getting the computer now / v.s. waiting for SP1 to come out?

thanks
 
I suggest a MacBook. Runs native XP/Vista and Mac OS X. You just choose your OS at boot time. Wonderful machine. Wouldn't change mine for anything else except the next version.
 
Looking for a good PC in the $1500-$2,000 price range.

I have a toshiba right now that hasn't given me any problems in 4 years, so I am very partial to toshiba but I'm open to anything. I have a "desktop replacement" right now but would prefer something a bit smaller...

also - what's the deal with Vista? Is there any difference between getting the computer now / v.s. waiting for SP1 to come out?

thanks


Your budget is within the range of good branded laptop. I've got my new laptop with the following:

Gateway brand
Intel Centrino DUO Mobile Technology
Intel Core Duo processor
2Gb RAM
160Gb Harddisk
and other standard hardware e.g. wireless, phone jack, memory reader
Windows Vista Home
McAfee anti-virus anti-spam anti-fishing

And I'm loving it!

Price is close to $900, go to best buy.
 
i like HP, they run very cool & can last up to 7 hours without recharging, stay far away from Dells, every model they have gets very hot on the underside.
 
better don't install vista yet on a laptop, it would run very slow.
IBM's Lenova is preferred
 
I suggest a MacBook. Runs native XP/Vista and Mac OS X. You just choose your OS at boot time. Wonderful machine. Wouldn't change mine for anything else except the next version.

I don't know the price of a PC but I'd suggest a MacBook also. Make sure to get more ram if you do.
 
Only IBM thinkpad series
 
I agree with toshibas they are pretty reliable, just bought one for $900 vista does make it run very very slow at first, now its starting to pick up. My last lap top was running faster at first with 256 mb ram than this one with 1gb ram.
 
Yman - how is vista getting any faster on your laptop?
 
If you go anything vista, make sure it has the processor and ram to handle it.

I have a blazingly fast HP is just bought. Reg 1299. Purchased at Office depot for $899.

Pop Ups are annoying but just found out how to disable them in Vista.

Vista is a memory hog so go duo processors (mine may even be AMD) and as much ram as possible.
 
HP all the way.
I have used many brands but HP is the best. Say NO to Dell & Acer
Johnn, I hate to go against you but you got it wrong...say HELL NO to Dell. Just wanted to clarify. Are you okay with that?

Unquestionably the best site to use for all electronics, software, apps, and nearly anything. Also known as ZDnet.com.

All my computers have been either HP or Sony for laptops and desktops for home use.

I do think toshiba and Mac are great along with some of the IBM line.

I believe it will come down to preference. But do take into consideration the reliability and customer service support from the manufacturer. Sony has been incredible. Can't say a thing about HP because I have never needed them...that should say something. Sony was a camera, by the way.

HP has an incredible lineup out that are thin, lightweight, full size keyboard and are designed as desktop replacements with an optional docking station. Very slick. I don't have the docking station as I have too many newer model desktops so there is no need for this. Plus, I'll wait for the big price drop (nearly $250-$300)
 
I used to have two dell laptops and nothing but problems.

Just my personal experience.
It ain't just the laptops. And customer service is terribly over-rated!
 
n00bs listen up :: Alienware = best
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom