Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Net.net sells for $100,000 at Sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If anyone missed DNJournal's Top Ten this week, here's a quick update:

Sedo again claimed several of the top spots in the weekly sales chart:

Net.net went for $100,000 while FreeCellPhones.com sold for $60,426!

The domain "geld.com" (translates as "money") changed hands at $20,123 and two .CO.UK domains went for over $10,000 each!

For more info, please see DNJournal:
http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Don't forget, if you have any domains that are ripe for sale, don't hesitate to let us know - we have a huge base of motivated buyers that are always eager to hear of good domains for sale.

Many buyers are especially interested in meaningful and/or one word domains with .com or .co.uk TLDs.
Strong traffic is always a plus!

Sedo's brokers are standing by....

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Domain Broker

SEDO.COM :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites

tel +49 (221)-420-758-287 :: fax +49 (212)-202-3951
email: [email protected] :: url: www.sedo.com

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the great numbrers. Was there more to the FreeCellphones.com sale? Traffic, graphics, revenue history, cash and "stock"?

A self interest question because I own FreeSmartphones.com and have it listed at sedo. Never had an offer on it.

Thanks.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the sales!

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have CellTimes.com, CellphoneTimes.com and CellularPhonesFree.com
What do you think ?

URLtrader

timm

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ive got PrepaidCellphone.net...listed at sedo.

yonimlm

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Net.net must be getting somewhat good traffic.. due to mispells of adresses as subdomains.... same as powernet.net could be mispelled as power.net.net

Obviously the com.com verision owned by cnet.com gets MUCH more traffic like this (or at least they could if they redirected all unused subdomains somewhere) but this is pretty nice too.... :)

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
...while FreeCellPhones.com sold for $60,426!

This is crazy sale. Not really a high roller, about 400 Overture searches w/ext.
Is this the highest price paid for a three-words-domain?

If sale legitimate, that's very good sign, reinforced especially with LeatherHandbags.com sold for $15,407 having only 27 Ov. w/ext!

SedoCoUk

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello again,

FreeCellPhones.com was certainly an unusually high sale for a "three worder".

However, its "vital stats" are very good:
- the term "free cell phones" was searched 459157 times last month on Overture
- which implies there is a large market for just such a product or service
- the domain name is highly targeted and effectively describes the likely contents of the domain
- it could be used very successfully for branding/marketing purposes
- the exact term "free cell phones" returns a max. advertising bid result from Overture of $1.58
- traffic is bound to be high due to the amount of searches of the exact term
- a good KW (for parking) would mean that the traffic is highly convertible

However, we should remember that such high value sales for a multiple-word domain are quite rare. To be honest, "similar" domains would have to fulfill the usual criteria eg. traffic, marketability, frequently searched term, highly targetted.

From my experience, domains with additions such as "online", "town", "direct" etc. do not always achieve the expectations of their owners based on recent sales of a basic term domain. "Free" however is a much-searched term in its own right - who doesn't like getting something for nothing!

As we are all aware, however, the value of a domain ultimately lies in how much the buyer is willing to pay!

We wish all of you every success with your domains and if in doubt about the value - Sedo's appraisals are available through our homepage ($19 for a standard appraisal, $39 for a premium)! Many Sedo sellers order one to reinforce their pricing - particularly for domains with open bids, while buyers find them invaluable, especially if they are new to the world of domains...

Kind Regards,

Nora Cotter
Domain Broker

SEDO.COM :: Buy and Sell Domain Names and Websites

tel +49 (221)-420-758-287 :: fax +49 (212)-202-3951
email: [email protected] :: url: www.sedo.com

_______________________ :: make a name for yourself.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
For those that have underestimated .net domains - think again :-D

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
freecellphones.com was a steal at 55k ... i would expect income from just a parking page to be 20-30k /year.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
alldig said:
freecellphones.com was a steal at 55k ... i would expect income from just a parking page to be 20-30k /year.

Absolutely no way!

Even if you employ Adsense 100% you could not make more than $7,500-$9,000 a year.
If you sell cell-phones, that's another story, but still very questionable.

Again, I didn't say I was not satisfied seeing this sale.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'll agree with options - but alldig, if you know of an affiliate program that would generate that much for items related to music (cd's, mp3's etc) let me know :-D

JumpingJack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Net.Net is a good name. The same guy also owns Org.Org so look for that one to go soon too. I made offers on both last month actually somewhat close to the $100,000 sale price but apparently wasn't enough.

And radistar... if there is any .net domain name that could ever be sold that would prove that the ".net" TLD is underestimated, it would not be "net.net" lol. I think this name has more instristic value than anything. Org.Org would probably sell for similiar price. These names are invaluable IMO.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Shame com.com is owned by c|net :-D

JumpingJack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Shame com.com is owned by c|net :-D

Even more of a shame is they probably got it really cheap. Smart company if you ask me. Search.com for $8k? They saw the future.

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"the term "free cell phones" was searched 459157 times last month on Overture"

Actually the term searched that many times was "free cell phone".

So, really, how does a deal like that come together???

Does a buyer come along and offer like $25,000 and the owner says no, "I want $75,000" and they negotiate from there?

I can't believe that the owner wouldn't have wanted anymore than $5000 for it.

yonimlm

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JumpingJack said:
Even more of a shame is they probably got it really cheap. Smart company if you ask me. Search.com for $8k? They saw the future.

Don't forget: news.com, shareware.com, tv.com, radio.com and the favorite download.com. probably tons more I dont know about...

JumpingJack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yonimlm said:
Don't forget: news.com, shareware.com, tv.com, radio.com and the favorite download.com. probably tons more I dont know about...

Yeah I know about all of those - they are indeed a powerhouse of a company. The reason I mention Search.com though, is because IMO that is the best deal ever for a domain name (err, not including reg fee domains of course, heh). I think they paid something like $17,000 for TV.com. IMO that is not too hot of a deal. Now-a-days, TV.com would probably only sell for high $XX,XXX. I doubt it would fetch $XXX,XXX at reseller prices. So that's only a 5x value increase or so. Search.com on the other hand is probably one of the top domains and could easily fetch $1 million+ in my opinion. It's the core of the internet, Google Search, Yahoo Search, ect. Major business. All I can say is that the guy who sold them Search.com back in 97 or whenever he sold it must be kicking himself, just like the many other bad deals made in the past. One notable example of this is the OW.com sale this week in DNJournal.com. The owner rushed that too much. $22,500 is an absolute steal and I know several people who were kicking themselves when they found out what it sold for.

rsequin said:
"the term "free cell phones" was searched 459157 times last month on Overture"

Actually the term searched that many times was "free cell phone".

So, really, how does a deal like that come together???

Does a buyer come along and offer like $25,000 and the owner says no, "I want $75,000" and they negotiate from there?

I can't believe that the owner wouldn't have wanted anymore than $5000 for it.

I think the bottom line is that the internet is full of wealth again. People have loads of money. It's becoming like 1998 again, where people are throwing millions of dollars around like it's nothing. Recent sales show this. Why would someone pay $10,000,000 for Business.com? Because their budget is in the billions (or was) and they don't care about a lousy $10 million. They could easily buy a registration domain (like www.555business.com) and spend the $10 million on advertising and promotion, and benefit way more than from buying a domain name like Business.com, but they don't care. Just too much money I'd say. It does prove that it pays off to ask higher prices for domain names though. If you had owned FreeCellPhones.com and someone emailed you and you told them $5k you'd proabably be laughing to the bank, never realizing you could have gotten $50k for it :) From now on, all my domain names are $1 million or more! :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators