Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

New "Appraisal" or Spam Tactic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a domain on this forum and changed the nameservers to Sedo, however, they would not add it as it's "offensive" (though I don't see how) and violates their terms. Oh well, I just wanted to collect statistics before developing... off to development anyway.

However, I recently received an email from someone inquiring for a price in the subject line as they're interested in purchasing the name as they saw it on Sedo. I just sent them back to send me a reasonable offer and we'll go through Escrow if it's within reason and indicated that it's not listed on Sedo.

So, is this a new tactic that sees the nameservers and emails the admin?

I didn't see any benefit other than give a price and hope it's legit, though I did follow the link from the email and it went to a hosting company. Is it just a spam tactic to get me to sign up for hosting or could it be a real end user? They never came out and asked for an apprasial or anything else of that matter, so I found this email quite intriguing.

Either way, I don't have plans to part with it as it's a great TLD for a network of humor sites... though, there's always a factor of the price being just right.

Anybody else receive these types of emails?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it was listed on Sedo for any amount of time, there is a possibility that it is cached (I have encountered this in the past).

And, most likely scenario, if your name servers are still pointing to Sedo they may have garnered that information from a WHOIS search.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't allowed for me to add, I believe that it wasn't able to add in the past. Which leads me to believe it was a WHOIS search. However, they stated that it was listed on Sedo and are interested in the name and wanted a price in the subject line which I found quite off. It's in my opinion that it is a smarter way of generating leads for hosting as I checked the website of the email it came from and it redirected me to an affiliate hosting company.

With that being said, it is a 10 year old domain and since then policies may have changed where it was allowed on Sedo at one point and they did view a cache, but I find that an unlikely scenario. I'll just wait and see if they reply back, but hopefully they didn't list my email as I replied back.

They do have a confidentiality footer, which makes it seem somewhat legit. As said though, I'm not going to flip it unless the price is right.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no one is talking about flipping.

are your name servers still pointing to Sedo? Is there a history of the name in the Archives?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, they're still pointing to Sedo. It's not a bid deal to update them at the moment. I can't see any archive of it ever being listed on Sedo.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Update, Appraisal tactic:

email said:
...I may offer up to 5000 usd but the final offer will be based on a professional valuation. I have 45,000 usd budget for 12-15 domain names...

Reply said:
I valuate the domain at $1200 ($100 less than Estibot.com). If this doesn't meet your valuation, you can find another suitable domain name or get it valuated by yourself and come back to me with a figure. I will take WU or Escrow in the amount of $1200 if you pay fees.

:lol:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You must be in contact with this assclown:

Ok. I have 75,000 usd budget for 10-12 domains.

Best regards,
Isaac Katzman
President

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Different name used,

Michael Altermann

But probably the same person in reality...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom