Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

New TLDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimb

Anyone know of any new TLDs that will be coming out soon?

Jim

Domain summit 2024

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Yea, didn't icann or whoever say they will be releasing a few new tld's every few years or something. Well all I know is the .us domains coming out soon.

.vc is supposed to be coming out soon as well - though Tucows has apparently been waiting for ICANN approval since last summer.

-t

We've seen a number of pre-registrations already. Since they will be competitively priced, I think they will do very well.

-t

They appear to be wholesaling for the same price as .com, so you should expect to see them priced from $9-$15 at most registrars, with the same gang selliing them for $35-$40 that sell .com domains for so much, and a few giving them away in order to get you on transfers, dns changes or whatever.

-t

darren

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
.vc is supposed to be coming out soon as well - though Tucows has apparently been waiting for ICANN approval since last summer.

-t

what's this .vc means?

I know it's pretty obvious for a .biz .info .ws means but not this..

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Check out this faq on .vc domains: http://opensrs.wholesaleurl.com/help/vc.htm

It's the country domain for St. Vincent & the Grenadines, it appears this extension will cost more?? That particular registrar is going to charge $40/yr.

J

jimb

Im gonna try for a pre-register on that one! :) my.vc!! I wonder if Ill actually get it? LOL

Jim

.vc is an existing ICANN cctld (country code top level domain) for Saint Vincent and the Grenadines in the same way that .us is just the cctld for america.

The full list of cctld's is here:

http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm

You'll see some other fake-gtld's in the list like: .cc, .tv, .ws and .fm.

.VC is supposed to stand for Venture Capitalists or some silly thing when it's used in it's "generic" form.

They are not yet available.

-t

.VC is supposed to stand for Venture Capitalists or some silly thing when it's used in it's "generic" form.

They are not yet available.

-t

Thats what they WANT you to think, but its not true, in the same way .ws in not "web site" or "world site" and .tv has nothing to do with television.

ALL 2 letter tld's are simply country code domains in the same way that .uk is for the uk. Take a look at that link I gave to the IANA list.

Its just how the cctld's are marketed that makes people believe otherwise - but there have been problems in the past whereby domains in cctld's have been revoked by their governments (.tm was one like that).

I just quoted the way the .vc domain is being marketted - with the approval of the sponsoring country.

I'm fully aware that it's a ccTLD.

The .tv ccTLD is also being marketted with the complete support of the island of Tuvali - whichs benefits from sales of the domain through their agreement with the Registry.

I see nothing wrong with this approach to the marketting of a particular countries domain name, should they desire to do so.

Also, can you tell me which ccTLDs were taken off the market due to misrepresentation by the Registry as per their use? This is the first I've heard that reported, and I've been following the release and availablilty of the ccTLDs for some time now.

-t

Also, can you tell me which ccTLDs were taken off the market due to misrepresentation by the Registry as per their use? This is the first I've heard that reported, and I've been following the release and availablilty of the ccTLDs for some time now.

.tm is one that readily springs to mind, the others weren't given headspace. A check in the domain news archives from 12mth-2 years ago should shed some light on the others as this was the time that cctld's being sold as gtld's heated up.

There have also been reports that the tuvalu government is unhappy with the dottv deal - that was in the few days after Verisign acquired them.

The problem I have with cctld's is I have seen a lot of people over the years who have registered them thinking they were genuine gtld's and feeling cheated (and in some cases losing thousands of dollars on registrations they thought would be worth huge sums).

The 2 biggest offenders were .cc and then .ws

If the registrars/registries are open and honest about things (like .tv was) then thats a different matter - but a lot seem to be trying to capitalize on ICANN's new gtld releases to pretend their own are on the same par.

Oh yeah. I forgot about .tm. I seem to recall that the London based company given rights to register .tm went against their agreement with Turkmenistan - then Turkmenistan pulled the plug on them.

Faded memories...

I don't recall any others though. Now you have my curiosity up. I'll have to go back and do some digging.

I don't find the article anywhere that says Tuvalu is unhappy with the sale of dotTV to Verisign, but I would not be particularly happy to be associated with Verisign so I can understand that :).

-t

I would not be particularly happy to be associated with Verisign so I can understand that :).

No kidding!

When Verisign folded registrars.com into the Verisign normal end user registrar I transferred all the domain I had with them out even though they were not due.

Verisign are a terrible company when it comes to domains - if they ever delete your domain by accident or if they steal a domain from you (they have done this in the past from registrars.com registrants where a past owner decided they wanted a domain back) they either ignore you or pass you to their super arrogant legal dept.

darren

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
is it true that when a domain from NetSol(now Verisign) is expired, they will hold it forever and sell at an auction?
Then you will never have your domain back, not for a high price.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
I've heard about NS doing that, if they do that then they probably do it for the really valuable names.

Originally posted by darren
is it true that when a domain from NetSol(now Verisign) is expired, they will hold it forever and sell at an auction?
Then you will never have your domain back, not for a high price.

They've never auctioned domains as far as I'm aware (I believe Register.com do though via afternic) - but they are implementing the Waiting List Service despite heavy criticism from registrars and internet users at large.

The new system will be a parallel registry, where you pay for a domain in the hopes it will expire - first come, first served style. And as its at Registry level, you'd be guaranteed getting it if you were in the wait list for that domain and it expired.

The price will be fixed rather than set by auction bids - $35 per domain I think.

It makes for a nice new monopoly for Verisign as it will effectively kill off the likes of namewinner, nicgenie etc and make them the only game in town for expired domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators