• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

OVT vs. Google Trends

Status
Not open for further replies.

namewaiter

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2003
Messages
1,815
Reaction score
0
Can someone help explain something. I've been basing keyword popularity on ovterture results, just like most here, but google is king and their Trend labs shows very different results.

For example...
a search of 'episode' shows ovt results of 14,500
a search of 'comic book' shows ovt results of 52,800, almost 4 times that of episode

the results for google trends shows just the opposite, they show episode being a much more popular search term...
for the singular search terms -
http://www.google.com/trends?q=comic+book,+episode&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
for the plural search terms -
http://www.google.com/trends?q=comic+books,+episodes&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

How much 'search volume' is google displaying? Is there a seo expert or anyone out there that can explain the discrepancies? Shouldn't we all be using trends lab results as a better base of importance than ovt?

thanks, mike
 
I've been going with google trends lately. If I find a nice term and it has low overture, but a nice trends report I will take it. Now remember, a term might look good on its own but you need to compare it with something to tell how high the search volume is..ex. type in coats,jackets and it will compare the two terms.
 
i am still with Ovt
 
I believe yahoo is used more by average surfer - consumer.
Google - used more by technically/internet savy - less consumer.

Just my opinion :-D
 
I believe yahoo is used more by average surfer - consumer.
Google - used more by technically/internet savy - less consumer.

Just my opinion :-D

Agreed, though we all know that there is alot more that goes into researching a domain name than just ovt or GT, unless or an impulse buyer, which thankfully, I'm not.
 
I believe yahoo is used more by average surfer - consumer.
Google - used more by technically/internet savy - less consumer.

Just my opinion :-D

really, isn't google by far the bigger search engine of the two?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom