Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

pass Word Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dan,

Maybe you might have to place a pass word protection thing on here to stop the loonies from posting on the boards.

Let them look but not post maybe, must be a way, any suggestions anybody.

Or hand out free prozac ....

:depressed

Upvote 0

Set up 1-800-DNf-orum and friendly moderators are standing by to answer his/her call.

Originally posted by AMERICAR
Dan,

Maybe you might have to place a pass word protection thing on here to stop the loonies from posting on the boards.

Let them look but not post maybe, must be a way, any suggestions anybody.

Or hand out free prozac ....

:depressed

Excellent idea.

I also suggest that anyone "applying" for membership have to give full contact details in an email to mods, and then be set up with an account.

That will help stop the loonies.

Miles

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ditto guys, good suggestions.

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gets my vote.

Moderated membership.

Lats...

M

mole

Censorship is not the way to go. It creates bad karma (rightly or wrongly) and violates the First Admendment for Americans.

Let the mods do their job where appropriate. So far, safe, snoops and Matt have done admirably well in containing meltdowns.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Online communities are fragile in some respects, like democracy. The trick is to respond to bad things without throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I am inclined to agree with Mole on this based on my experience with the .INFO Sunrise problems. I think that the moderators we have here do an excellent job. If one wanted to expand and enhance the moderator funciton, one could go with the medical model and have a back-up "moderator on call." Perhaps one could have an "on call" button somewhere on the site that members only could push if it looked like things are getting out of control and there does not appear to be any moderator at the moment. This "on call" buttom could e-mail one or more on-call moderators who could come and see what the matter is.

If I understand it, the other proposal is to have a screen for the completeness and accuracy of membership entry information? Although this sounds good in concept (and I might add, I seem to have put in a lot more information than most members), if someone wants to cause trouble, they can probably just as easily lie about what information they put in the form... so this might discourage some good participants from participating and not discourage some bad folks. Also, wouldn't it be a pain in the neck for moderators or others to have to get into verifying member's submitted information? I do not think that would be much fun for anyone.

So, on balance I would recommend continuation of good human moderators (assuming Snoopy really is human... his bio says he enjoys "eating dog biscounts"... better verify that :laugh: ), possibly with the addition of "moderator(s) on-call" for emergencies, activated by a member-only call button?

My two cents. Dan, Snoopy, and the rest, I really appreciate this forum. Thanks! It is almost too good. I need to get a lot of research done this summer before the students come back!

M

mole

Originally posted by DomeBase
(assuming Snoopy really is human... his bio says he enjoys "eating dog biscounts"...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lats

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good points, of course.

However, the recycle bin here must be getting quite full by now.

Lats...

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The first amendment has nothing to do with it, what went on here and will more than likely continue to do so was a criminal offense.

Not only is it libellous but highly offensive not only to the volunteer moderators but also to anybody, to members and non members alike, any body who happend to view the forum at that time.

A pass word protected site could have a qualifying period or something like that, that may deter the idiots who are intent on disrupting the the forum from participation.

They may have by then have had time to take their medication, remember that the moderators here have to cop all of this without being able to respond in a manner that they may feel like.

We cannot expect a moderater to be on call here 24 hours a day.

:evil:

dotsofdomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's just hope we get through tonight without another Q incident. Please!

:cool:

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah dots, it seems to happen at the same time...

M

mole

Originally posted by AMERICAR
The first amendment has nothing to do with it, what went on here and will more than likely continue to do so was a criminal offense.

Where do you draw the line on what is criminal and what is not? To put up police barracades will only attract these people more.

We don't need that, just goh and his 888 hachet machineguns. The mods may not be here 24hrs, but goh certain is.

Originally posted by mole

Where do you draw the line on what is criminal and what is not? To put up police barracades will only attract these people more.

We don't need that, just goh and his 888 hachet machineguns. The mods may not be here 24hrs, but goh certain is.

I got near 700 posts and mole has near 1500 posts, if I am here 24hr per day, mole got to be here approx. 48hr per day (math-wise). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators