• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale plurial or singular domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belzibut

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
662
Reaction score
5
Hi, I've been debating with myself for quite some times about which domain to market when I own both the singular and the plurial. I'm talking about products or category related domains to develop and primarly market online.

For example, if you were going to develop a site that will be mostly marketed online which domain would you use if you own both: (those are examples)

toothbrush dot ca or toothbrushes dot ca for product related domain
pizzarestaurant dot ca or pizzarestaurants dot ca for category related domain
francophone dot ca or francophones dot ca
websitetemplate ca or websitetemplates ca

Does the search engines prefer the plurial or singular? There are often more search results for plurials but I don't think it means much.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
 
Last edited:
I'd use the singular for the first and the plural for the next three. If its a pizza place directory, use the plural, if it's just for one restaurant, the singular.

But since you have both, doesn't matter which you use.

Check a keyword tool and see which one people search for most, that might decide it.
 
Last edited:
I'll use a product example, I often find if someone is looking for a product they are more likely to type in the singular as there probably looking for one. That being said I think when selling the product the website should run on the plural and have the singular redirecting. my 0.02 :D

Cheers,

Jay
 
Thanks a lot for your inputs guys. I totally agree with you Liberator.

Do you think that in the case of toobrush the word toothbrushes would get Google search results from both toothbrush and toothbrushes? But Toothbrush dot ca would get search results for toothbrush only? Which one really has the advantage? I go with tootbrushes, how about u?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Okay, i have to disagree here. I actually think in most cases when selling products...people say it in plural..even if they are looking for just one. For example, if someone is searching for different types of toothbrushes. They will actually type toothbrushes(dot)ca instead of toothbrush. If someone is looking for roses, because most people who buy this product never buy one. They will also always look for roses instead of a rose.

If someone is looking for one lawn chair. Do they type in lawn chair? Do they ask for a lawn chair? Or do they want to look at lawn chairs?

Have to disagree with the top, when selling a product... plural is generally the best way to go!

Good luck.
 
There are exceptions like roses, flowers, etc.. but in general I see more direct traffic from singular product names then plural on my portfollio.

As for searches if you search for the singular it will return results for the plural as well and vice versa! I'd probably do a 1 page mini-ad about a revolutionary toothbrush on toothbrush.ca and then have a link to buy the toothbrush on toothbrushes.ca lol.. if thats what your planning on using it for :D

Cheers
 
I prefer plural generally, but it really depends upon searches & traffic; except toothbrushes and the like, a little odd. Here are some examples:
cellphones,
carradios,
homeloans,

Things like pizza, may work better in the singular.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom