Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Price of domains will Drop up to 40-50 percent in the Reseller market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Prices of domains are dropping way faster for what I had in my mind. It had completely change my domaining view. I and my other friends, who owns good portfolios, in the range of X,XXX XX,xxx and XXX,XXX concluded that domain prices will be very low by december january 2010

what you think?

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
or maybe we have a new way of addressing to the URLs by segmenting it by region / zones ... to categorize and smoothen the traffic ... may be !!!

in times like this, everyone is a guru!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A strong portfolio is a strong portfolio in any condition.

What does your prediction say?

Says that those that you are calling resellers are a bunch of cheap bastards.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can imagine that reseller prices will indeed be lower than they were in 2007 and 2008, because many domains were traded at incredibly high prices amongst domain resellers in those years. That bubble has burst by now, and domainers have realized that they must concentrate on quality domains that they can sell to buyers from outside the industry.

When it comes to the true value of a domain, one should look beyond the reseller market. As long as there will be domain names, quality domains will always be valuable investment properties.

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From End user view, I agree with all of you guys above. End user is something that we Always hope to break a deal with.

But from Reseller View, share your honest opinions, would you buy generic names still, or hold your XXX,XXX usd, or XX,XXX usd and wait until 6-8 months and see?

omosquera

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what is "very low" ? If you can still make money by developing a domain name it's value is never gonna decrease.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No! I'm going to develop them of course..

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most domainers would not recognize an end user even if he/she was wrapped around their leg biting their ankle and humping their kneecap.

Most domainers have no business or marketing sense, period.

Their reliance for someone else to do their work (parking is one example) will be and is their downfall.

I see too many here on this forum and elsewhere that are totally clueless.

When members who have been here from one to four years are asking,

What is BIN?
Is this TM?

and other basic bullshit then right there is a tip off - every one is looking for a huge payday but doesn't want to work for it.

Most domainers are pure lazy, ignorant slobs.

I deal in truths and do not believe in sugar coating any thing. I do not understand why in my industry people have high expectations and a perceived standard but yet do not hold others but especially themselves to that same standard. Why is it we expect a different standard of how we are treated yet we don't hold ourselves to that same standard?

I get infuriated with these parking companies and their bullshit excuses. Yet they, themselves, would resent someone like me in my office beating around the bush, not telling them the truth, or giving some bullshit excuses.

It is way past time for the domain industry and domainers to grow up and accept the truth. And that truth is the internet is growing up without you. You do nothing to impact internet commerce or interaction among people. You hold nothing of value to the overwhelming majority of the planets 6.5 billion citizens. You think because you hold a name you hold the fate of the planet in your hands. Meanwhile, guess what? People are still using the internet with out your name.

That is why I say domainers do not control the internet...they just wish they did.

This reseller market is bullshit. It reminds me of the sports card craze of the 90's. There was a price guide book telling you how much a card was worth but a buyer would offer 50%-70% of the stated value while a reseller would only offer 10%. "I have to make money too", was the explanation.

Try haggling for a better price at WalMart or Sears. When you get to the checkout line, tell the cashier, "I'll only give you three dollars for that, one fifty for this, two bucks for this...next thing you know your asked to leave and that cart you had all your merchandise in is pushed to the side for restocking.

That, my friends, are the resellers I am seeing...on this forum, the other forums, on sedo, in emails, and PM's.

To me the reseller market is nothing more than a circle jerk.

Remember one thing - the truth is what it is. If you don't like the truth, then set out to change it. Alter your lifestyle, look at what others are doing, and make a game plan and set out to achieve it.

See, the same line I tell patients is the same line of advice I can pass on. You can take it or leave it, just like most patients do. Great pep talk but 10 minutes later they are back do doing what they did.

Last edited:

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doc enters my brains, steals my thoughts and presents it here. No fair....

LOL

Never truth be told by Doc, ever so beautifully and more than a few times I must say. Right here! We are always looking for that auctioneer to value our wares. Idiots! If we bought the name, we better know its value and how to sell it. Research my friend. Research! Know your property's worth. Don't ask your neighbor how valuable your child is to you. Or be doomed. Or wait for the stock markets to revive in the hopes someone will spare their excesses for our precious antiquated names. And why does not anyone talk about inflation? With reduced sale prices and inflation, this is a double whammy. Sales of $10k today is only worth 6-7k considering inflation.

I always wondered why Internet marketers never pumped domain names widely in their business model. I always wonder why, the masses never dived into domain name investing in spite of hundreds of shows, media attention and whore mongering about our industry?

No one cares. Except a domainer and a domainer wanna be.

We all need each other to tell each other how valuable our names are.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great post Doc Com, totally agree with most thats said.

We need to look outside the bowl if you really want to make profits and then you need to be realistic about sale prices.

I've yet to sell a domain to an end user at a loss. ;)

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent post Doc thank you!

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doc Com That was a good post indeed, respect your opinion.

This jerk cycle is what we mostly buy/sell domains within. Enduser sale is something that is what i am waiting for.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Prices of domains are dropping way faster for what I had in my mind. It had completely change my domaining view. I and my other friends, who owns good portfolios, in the range of X,XXX XX,xxx and XXX,XXX concluded that domain prices will be very low by december january 2010

what you think?

i think you and your friends should stop talking to each other.

i'd also like to see some of those 5 and 6 figure names you guys own, posted in appraisal section.

lastly, since you guys have concluded that prices will be very low, perhaps you should be trying to sell out now!

:)

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think you and your friends should stop talking to each other.

i'd also like to see some of those 5 and 6 figure names you guys own, posted in appraisal section.

lastly, since you guys have concluded that prices will be very low, perhaps you should be trying to sell out now!

:)

Agreed. Most people only start these threads to get a reaction. People have been saying that domain prices will drop for the past 14 years...give me a break. They are no different than any other commodity.

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem with domain reselling is it is mainly based on speculation. The problem with the current speculation was it was all based on either 'this will increase in value faster than the economy' or 'there has been similar domains that have had huge sales, perhaps I will get lucky with this one'. The worst kind of these are domains based on length and letter type - that's why they have crashed fastest as the inflated speculative value falls closer to the real potential value. That's why a random domain like YXG.com which was previously going for $8k or so is now at about $2.5k. In my view it should be lower - $1k maybe. The liklihood of a end user for this domain is low, the only end users will be sites wanting a short domain without caring what it stands for, and there's plenty of other short domains they could get. Domains that are generics are not falling - Toys.com, Vibrators.com, etc are all examples of domains that have retained and even grown in value. They are great marketing assets. Other types of domain such as keyword domains aren't likely to loose much value either. While Online-Poker.net may be ugly, it's still highly valuable for a developer going after search engine traffic.

VictorLazlo

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could you be more specific? :lol:..(jk)

Most domainers would not recognize an end user even if he/she was wrapped around their leg biting their ankle and humping their kneecap.

Most domainers have no business or marketing sense, period.

Their reliance for someone else to do their work (parking is one example) will be and is their downfall.

I see too many here on this forum and elsewhere that are totally clueless.

When members who have been here from one to four years are asking,

What is BIN?
Is this TM?

and other basic bullshit then right there is a tip off - every one is looking for a huge payday but doesn't want to work for it.

Most domainers are pure lazy, ignorant slobs.

I deal in truths and do not believe in sugar coating any thing. I do not understand why in my industry people have high expectations and a perceived standard but yet do not hold others but especially themselves to that same standard. Why is it we expect a different standard of how we are treated yet we don't hold ourselves to that same standard?

I get infuriated with these parking companies and their bullshit excuses. Yet they, themselves, would resent someone like me in my office beating around the bush, not telling them the truth, or giving some bullshit excuses.

It is way past time for the domain industry and domainers to grow up and accept the truth. And that truth is the internet is growing up without you. You do nothing to impact internet commerce or interaction among people. You hold nothing of value to the overwhelming majority of the planets 6.5 billion citizens. You think because you hold a name you hold the fate of the planet in your hands. Meanwhile, guess what? People are still using the internet with out your name.

That is why I say domainers do not control the internet...they just wish they did.

This reseller market is bullshit. It reminds me of the sports card craze of the 90's. There was a price guide book telling you how much a card was worth but a buyer would offer 50%-70% of the stated value while a reseller would only offer 10%. "I have to make money too", was the explanation.

Try haggling for a better price at WalMart or Sears. When you get to the checkout line, tell the cashier, "I'll only give you three dollars for that, one fifty for this, two bucks for this...next thing you know your asked to leave and that cart you had all your merchandise in is pushed to the side for restocking.

That, my friends, are the resellers I am seeing...on this forum, the other forums, on sedo, in emails, and PM's.

To me the reseller market is nothing more than a circle jerk.

Remember one thing - the truth is what it is. If you don't like the truth, then set out to change it. Alter your lifestyle, look at what others are doing, and make a game plan and set out to achieve it.

See, the same line I tell patients is the same line of advice I can pass on. You can take it or leave it, just like most patients do. Great pep talk but 10 minutes later they are back do doing what they did.

mclovin

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah, by about March 2017 the 3 letter .com domains are expected to reach reg fee prices and shortly after that they'll get dropped as useless.

Not any sooner? I'd like to pick up a couple of those at reg fee next year if at all possible.

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I can see, good generic names with decent commercially viable traffic are still in high demand and command good prices. As for 95% of domains registered ...well they are still crap, as they have been for years.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I can see, good generic names with decent commercially viable traffic are still in high demand and command good prices. As for 95% of domains registered ...well they are still crap, as they have been for years.
I am not sure what even defines "generic" anymore.

I have my own thoughts on many generic being crap.

I see many who feel that a dictionary word is a generic, a word that applies to a person, place, or thing is generic

Then I see those same people who tout generic domains as being the thing trash a $16K sale of Raspberry.com because these people claim that they doubt that Raspberry.com could make 100 bucks a year as a parked site.

ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS!

These are the people blogging and reporting on the domain industry STILL talking about parking??? WTF???

If you want or buy a domain name based purely on its parking potential, generic or not, then hurry up and sell your portfolio. Because if you are not the end user, or you are not are capable of marketing to the end users, and you still base your purchases on what something can make as a parked domain...well.

Understand that when I say "you" is not a direct reflection of you, but rather a generalized third person statement.

Right now, Category Killers are the true diamonds. What are they? Just think of perhaps the 50-100 english dictionary words that will domainate their category. And, many overlook new technology. Not a "flash in the pan" technology but one destined to be mass adopted in the form of a product, service, or speech.

These reflect what people are truly searching for and keep up with technological advances and are not timely.

Industry Buzzwords are popular at the time they are in the news.

Unless you, the domain owner, is the end user and build a site then I say a domain is a domain is a domain.

None have value unless someone else wants it.

Such a tough lesson to learn for the auto industry.

Next up - the domain industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators