Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

problem with domains in titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is really annoying, forcing people to put domains in titles without the option to use formatting.

No one wants their domain coming up in searches in sales threads or in the appraisal forum for obvious reasons.

Why should anyone have to risk their business by posting in this forum?

The best way to solve is to be reasonable and allow basic formatting for domains in titles. The usual format (.) does not work and the domain is still found in search engines, I prefer to use _._

No?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Domainx09

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah the rule is ridiculous and it depends on what mood the mod is in...

No format seems to stop listings on this site from getting a good listing on google results anyway.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is really annoying, forcing people to put domains in titles without the option to use formatting.

No one wants their domain coming up in searches in sales threads or in the appraisal forum for obvious reasons.

Why should anyone have to risk their business by posting in this forum?

The best way to solve is to be reasonable and allow basic formatting for domains in titles. The usual format (.) does not work and the domain is still found in search engines, I prefer to use _._

No?

what's so annoying

who's forcing you to post your domains?

what are the obvious reasons?

who is risking their business and what business is that?

is it really just about what you prefer?

Yeah the rule is ridiculous and it depends on what mood the mod is in...

No format seems to stop listings on this site from getting a good listing on google results anyway.

why is the rule ridiculous?

mods mood...what is that?

what's your mood when you post a thread?

quit searching google and you won't see your thread

or keep searching google and increase the results for the thread

:)

if you got spare time, you search my domains and threads to increase the results and indexing....i don't mind the visibility or publicity.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I log in, I can scan through hundreds of thread titles & open a new tab or window for each that looks interesting to me. If I had to open each thread to see what was inside, there would not be enough time to read them all looking for what might interest me. I LIKE having names in the titles. I will say, if there was a forum standard for obscuring the name that would stop people from *****ing about this that would be cool with me too.

I

impactadmin

When I log in, I can scan through hundreds of thread titles & open a new tab or window for each that looks interesting to me. If I had to open each thread to see what was inside, there would not be enough time to read them all looking for what might interest me. I LIKE having names in the titles. I will say, if there was a forum standard for obscuring the name that would stop people from *****ing about this that would be cool with me too.
And I believe that is one of the reasons why we ask for domains to be put in title.

Many members filter through todays posts and domains for sale categories looking at the thread titles to decide the quality of the sale. The domain in title helps provide that information so members dont have to specifically filter through every post to see if it is somehting they will like.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I log in, I can scan through hundreds of thread titles & open a new tab or window for each that looks interesting to me. If I had to open each thread to see what was inside, there would not be enough time to read them all looking for what might interest me. I LIKE having names in the titles.
Well said (er...typed?).

There is nothing more annoying than spending time wasting to open a thread to find out that that "gem" referred to in the title is actually "shinygreenishcoloredrockthatlookslikeanemerald.com"

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This thread has nothing to do with people who post misleading titles or don't include the extension in the title.

Read my first post, I think I explained it pretty clear.

what's so annoying

who's forcing you to post your domains?

what are the obvious reasons?

who is risking their business and what business is that?

is it really just about what you prefer?

Noone wants some potential buyer to decide the worth of a domain by the price or appraisals they found on some domain forum. This forum forces all sellers to risk this happening, and it does happen fairly often.

Domainx09

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Noone wants some potential buyer to decide the worth of a domain by the price or appraisals they found on some domain forum. This forum forces all sellers to risk this happening, and it does happen fairly often."

This is the problem, and people mention it on a regular basis here.

"I will say, if there was a forum standard for obscuring the name that would stop people from *****ing about this that would be cool with me too."

And then maybe people would actually post domain related threads here more often, that would be nice...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread has nothing to do with people who post misleading titles or don't include the extension in the title.

Read my first post, I think I explained it pretty clear.

Noone wants some potential buyer to decide the worth of a domain by the price or appraisals they found on some domain forum. This forum forces all sellers to risk this happening, and it does happen fairly often.

thevirtual

it was not clear to me, which is why i asked those questions.

not to inflame, but for clarity...and they still haven't been answered

what's obvious to one, may not be to others, especially if it has no effect on their ability to sell domains.

if you are letting "the potential buyer decide the worth of a/your domains",

then you will never get the price "you" think it's worth.

appraisal values posted here are the opinions of others who reply, if you let those opinions influence the value you place on your domains, then you can only blame yourself, if the results don't meet your roi.

how you price, drop prices or increase them is your business, not the buyers.

the forum does not force you to do anything but comply with the rules...if you choose to post.

once you decide to post, you must force yourself to comply with the posting guidelines.

as the forum did not force you to join or force you to agree to the TOS

now that's clarity,

imo....

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how you price, drop prices or increase them is your business, not the buyers.

the forum does not force you to do anything but comply with the rules...if you choose to post.

once you decide to post, you must force yourself to comply with the posting guidelines.

as the forum did not force you to join or force you to agree to the TOS

now that's clarity,
But since this was posted in the "Suggestions and Feedback" section, I would assume that it is allowed to "suggest" the change of rules that members perceive to be suboptimal.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But since this was posted in the "Suggestions and Feedback" section, I would assume that it is allowed to "suggest" the change of rules that members perceive to be suboptimal.

i only questioned the suggestion, and the reasoning for his annoyance with thread titles

if one can make a suggestion, one should also be able to question the reasons for the suggestion.

particularly when they involve a change to an existing rule or guideline.

if one cannot show a logical reason for change, that will benefit all and is not just for a personal preference, or because they find it annoying....then how much weight can be given to considering that change?

as the premise of this thread is a "feared perception that having a domain in the title or if the thread gets indexed, that it will have an adverse effect on their ability to negotiate the price they want for their domains".

that is not a fact.

specifically mentioning appraisal threads,

suppose every time you asked for an appraisal....everyone overvalued your domains and then you had all these indexed threads in google with high values attached to your domains.

do you think it will make buyers pay more?

no

your best bet is to have everyone post an appraisal value for your domains that you have agreed with first.

and that's not going to happen either

if you search some old threads here, you'll find plenty of cheap prices back in the day.

but now, try and buy those same domains for the same prices posted back then.

think you will get them....no

ask the seller and he or she will say, domain values have risen since then, if you want it, pay today's price.

we tell each other that everyday, you should have no problem saying that to an end-user. :)

imo...

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems like you're just disagreeing for the sake of it and dismissing all of the points I made as being nonsense and I shouldn't have had the nerve to post this in the suggestions forum in the first place... Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Do you guys know that there is DNF twitter feed that posts all new sales threads?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like you're just disagreeing for the sake of it and dismissing all of the points I made as being nonsense and I shouldn't have had the nerve to post this in the suggestions forum in the first place... Correct me if I'm wrong here.

you are wrong and i never stated such to you.

i only assessed the points you attempted to make

where you provided no proof to sustantiate your claims.

you just can't go around saying this or that is obvious, without pointing out exactly how it has effected your sales.

you just can't make-up a potential scenerio about what may or may not happen in the future.

if you could have demonstrated how this affected you and others, then i could support such arguments.

as it certainly hasn't stopped hundreds of others from posting sales threads everyday, some members more than 5 to 7 threads a day.

i think some are just used to others agreeing to everything that's said, without taking a closer look at what's actually not being stated.

imo...

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you are wrong and i never stated such to you.

i only assessed the points you attempted to make

where you provided no proof to sustantiate your claims.

you just can't go around saying this or that is obvious, without pointing out exactly how it has effected your sales.

you just can't make-up a potential scenerio about what may or may not happen in the future.

if you could have demonstrated how this affected you and others, then i could support such arguments.

as it certainly hasn't stopped hundreds of others from posting sales threads everyday, some members more than 5 to 7 threads a day.

i think some are just used to others agreeing to everything that's said, without taking a closer look at what's actually not being stated.

imo...

You can be sure some buyers are searching domains in search engines, whatever they find can effect their view on the domains value, most of the time for the worse.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What a shock! Got them to stop putting them on AdamDicker.com so now it is on twitter... As a great American once said...(surprise...surprise...surprise) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6_1Pw1xm9U ;):)

Thanks for the "heads up" Theo..

(...and I go to AdamDicker more often now as there are nice "domain news" feeds there)

Do you guys know that there is DNF twitter feed that posts all new sales threads?

Last edited:

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

cassey123

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had bought a domain about a year ago that I am ready to develop and grow this site. The domain name that I own is bankofamericareview.com

I would like to know if I set up this site as a review site for bank of America in order for the public to rate or comment about them. If I do what I just mentioned, will I get in trouble with the law? or will Bank of America be able to hurt the website by contacting google to have it shut down or ban it from the search engine because I'm using their name in the url on my site?

Last edited by a moderator:

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread is two and a half years old and you are not really even keeping with the topic.

In answer to your question, you will be looked at very hard by Bank of America attorneys for your site if it gets any significant traffic. If it is only "freedom of speech" and you don't make any money on the site, you may be okay but you will still be on their radar. You should probably ask yourself, what are you trying to accomplish with this? If you really have some major problem with this bank and you just have to get the word out, go for it but expect trouble. These kinds of sites are not worth it in my opinion.

Edit: If you have advertising or make any money on the site, you will be sent a cease and desist and forced to shut down or else you will be sued, or at a minimum they will file a UDRP to take the name from you for violating their trademark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom