Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Problem with redirect.. Please Help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

paxton

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have my domain set up to redirect to my parked page at Sedo. I use the URL FRAME record type pointing to http://www.sedo.com/parking/mydomain.com. It is set up to frame redirect for www, @ (none), and * (other). The domain is at Enom.

My problem:

Some web pages that link to my site do not link to the root domain. They link to http://www.mydomain.com/some_random_page.htm

When someone clicks the link to my domain, and one of many pages that no longer exists (since there is no hosting for my domain), they are redirected to a Sedo 404 error page. They are not redirected to my parking page. The error message when they are redirected to Sedo is: "Page Not Found. This page does not exist on Sedo. Please go to the main page."

When this happens, surfers can't click on any ad links because there are no links to click on.

My question:

How can I configure my host records at Enom to catch any and all pages?

Thanks,

paxton

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am using Enom's Nameservers. I realize if used Sedo's nameservers then all the 404s would be caught and redirected to my parking page. However, I want to keep the URL Frame redirect method in place, for SEO purposes. I'm not sure it is possible to do what I want, but if there is a solution I know one of you will have it. :p

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

paxton

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
take out framing, and do "url redirect".

also change ....

@ to http://www.sedo.com/parking/yourdomain.com
and
other to same as above.

Thanks Big, but I don't think you understand the problem. I know how to redirect my domains to Sedo. I have some domains that I choose to use Sedo's nameservers, and others that I use URL forwarding (both normal and masked). Like I stated above, I use the proper address for parking.

Using redirect (as opposed to masked forwarding, or framing) accomplishes nothing. It is the exact same thing, except one method (redirect) loads the parking page at the top window level while the other (framing) loads it in a frame. Besides, switching to redirect won't allow me to keep my meta tags for SEO purposes. Which is pretty much the crux of the issue.

After doing some more research, I have come to the conclusion that there isn't anything that can be done on my end. Sedo's system isn't catching the various pages. Perhaps this is something that can't be configured. I dunno. But if it is something that can be implemented, it would be a nice feature for domainers who pick up expired traffic domains! :-D

As it stands now, I suspect my options are to either (A) choose to keep the masked forwarding/meta tags and lose the link traffic, or (B) switch the domain over to Sedo's nameservers to keep the link traffic, but lose the advantage of using meta tags.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom