• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Proposed dot-WEB tld and Chris Ambler

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I knew the answer to that, I'd probably sleep better at night.

All we know right now is that ICANN has committed to the DoC to creating more registries and that there would be a procedure in place this year, and that I continue to participate in that process.

I've learned not to guess when it comes to ICANN. That's just frustrating.

I think the important thing is that I'm still engaged and not giving up on it.
 
webtld.com doesn't even resolve for me anymore,


nice bringing up a thread from half a year ago, funny thing is I posted in it half a year ago XD
 
What do you mean doesn't resolve for you? It resolves just fine. Interestingly, it looks like there's a network outage on the Central Coast right now. I see death after the lsag hop through Time Warner Telecom.

We decommissioned our redundant sites a couple of years ago to save money until things resolve at ICANN.
 
Let's not get personal, I'm a huge fan of all TLD's. I don't like insider trader any more than I like insider buying of any commodity. It causes problems for the public as a whole and it hurts free enterprise. I don't have to be there for any discussion. I would like to see some regulation if there is going to be insider .web buying perhaps some public announcement would be fair to the free entreprise structure we cherish in the USA and most worlds markets. History would teach us that any time an unfair advantage is used in business it is not good. Domains are a commidity, like any other. I hope when the dust settles we all do well in the domain industry and I think we we will becasue we are the pioneers, perhaps even moreso people like yourself than I. The question is, would you think it's fair that I create a .XXX business and offer the names to only my friends and family or those in the know and then when we go live the public cannot get the premiere names? You think that is fair? I don't I'm sorry, it's ok, it's business but it creates an unfair advantage. I hope .web succeeds and thrives it is good for the industry as a whole. History is short for domain trading but history is long for commodity trading and insider trading etc.. Let's not make the same mistakes we have a past.
 
There was no "insider" buying. We went live when IANA gave us the green light, and those in the industry who knew about it did buy some. Word spread.

Can you start a TLD and sell them to your friends before it goes live? Sure, go ahead. It happens all the time.

My father is a real estate investor. He regularly makes deals with developers who give him first choice of land when he puts together a deal, before they're offered to the public. Should that be outlawed?

When an auto dealership gets pre-allocations of hot new cars, they regularly sell them to their best customers before they're offered to the public. Should that be outlawed?

In essence, what I'm saying is that, HAD WE DONE THIS, it still would have been perfectly legal and ethical. As it turns out, we didn't! We went live when IANA gave the green light, just like .com went live when they were given the green light by the NSF. Were you there when .com went live? No? Was that fair?

I've had this argument innumerable times over the past TEN YEARS. In every case, the result is the same: businesses go live every day. Those in the know or involved have an advantage. It happens. I can't believe that you cite the "free enterprise structure we cherish in the USA," as this is the exact system that causes first-mover advantages.

Bottom line - nothing's going to change.
 
Looks like http://www.webtld.com has been turned back on after a year hiatus. Web.us is now pointing to it even. The only thing you can't do is log into an account... What's up with that Chris?
 
But that classic Tee from '96 sure does look spiffy.....Maybe it should read:

I registered my .web address five years ago and all I got was this lousy T-shirt...:greenrolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom