• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Question for all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenericTypo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
329
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know what the name is of what we do.

I meet people and they ask me what I do and I have to give them a long explanation about domains traffic parking etc.

I know its the domain industry but I park alot a names so would I call it being in the domain parking industry?

Heres a couple I have

Domain Traffickers (I dont like it though sounds criminal)

or I operate a traffic redirection service (Just thought of that :))

Domain monetization Industry.

Im just wonder what other full timers say they do for a living

Any suggestions are welcomed
 
GenericTypo said:
Does anyone know what the name is of what we do.

I meet people and they ask me what I do and I have to give them a long explanation about domains traffic parking etc.

I know its the domain industry but I park alot a names so would I call it being in the domain parking industry?

Heres a couple I have

Domain Traffickers (I dont like it though sounds criminal)

or I operate a traffic redirection service (Just thought of that :))

Domain monetization Industry.

Im just wonder what other full timers say they do for a living

Any suggestions are welcomed
Even though, i am no where close to a full timer [only do this as a hobby], i like the term Domain Monetization Industry alot, it sounds professional.
 
How about domain investor?
 
I simply say "Domainer" and I feel that encompasses enough of the industry to apply to many of us. imho if you make money with domains you are a domainer.
 
I use the term "internet entrepeneur"
 
domainer, my friends call me a scammer because they feel getting paid from clicks isnt legit.
 
Someone made another thread here some time ago and I remember what they said
Buy and sell web addresses
 
I show Domainsponsor and Sedo earning table and do not need to explain anything else.
 
Here are some... some "old school" like ones first...

"Advertising Executive"
"Internet Advertising"
"Internet Consulting"
"Computer Programming"
"Website Promotion"

... some domain related ones ...

Domain [name] Speculator
Domain Promotion
Domain Advertising
Domain Investing
Virtual Real Estate

Personally, I put down "computer programmer" when asked my occupation by laypeople ... it's a nice catch-all and is intuitive to the average person - they likely won't ask any other questions unless they themselves have some computer knowledge; "computer programmer" is easiest to use on for govt forms, credit card apps, etc...

When I choose to discuss more specifically what I do with someone who has limited internet / computer knowledge, I like to use the phrase "virtual real estate" ... it's intuitive enough for the average person to understand, even though they don't really understand LOL!

When dealing with computer / internet savvy folks, I'll often use "domain name speculator".

Ron
 
What's wrong with "tech consultant"

Personally, I can't lay claim to any particular title other than what I am - a tech consultant. That should cover all the bases...

Either way... we're alot like prostitutes

- Younger are preferred than older, unless you have special needs and preferences.

- The job is stressful, the hours are weird.

- We get paid daily/hourly

- We all hate, yet need our pimps.

- If the client is rough, you find another client.

- Family life is tough.

- We find it hard to explain what we do for a living at family get togethers.

- Our quality is judged by our performance in those last few critical excruciating moments.

- We both get screwed in the end.
 
I usually just tell people that I do nothing, Sheesh do they really need to know?

I prefer to just tell people i am into realestate.
Buy low sale high.
Put up some billboards sell a little advertising to cover the property taxes, while I am looking for a buyer.

Really it is alot like and the same as real estate.
Even though it is a lot more complex than general real estate.

Explaining what we do can take hours.

Every domain is like a seperate business plan.

so yes we are just hookers.
 
When I meet someone who I think isn't savvy about the web I just say I am semi-retired and work at home on the internet. If they want further explanation I begin the process of explaining in detail which normally makes their jaw hang agape with saliva oozing from their lower lip.
 
I just say I buy and sell websites because most people I come across don't know what a domain is

slimcrazy.com said:
so yes we are just hookers.

i prefer the term manwhore
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom