Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no, that would be fraud. if someone paid their money, they are entitled to have their domain name. Yes, technically they are supposed to have valid info in the whois, but stealing their domain is certainly not justifiable in those circumstances.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You do not gain the right to impersonate someone else merely because they may have breached a contract.

What you *can* do is to take out a snapback on the domain name, submit a whois accuracy complaint at the internic site, and then cross your fingers.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would you rob a bank just because you found they had a violation. Geeeeeez....what are people thinking!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

dictionaryof

Longtime DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jb...

Good articles... very interesting. I had considered the WLS thing, that does make sense and I might do that.

I'm curious to hear anyone's thoughts on waiting for the name to expire for it's paid period... and then paying for it myself after it's been on hold for 30 or so days?

?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you mean "Wait until I'm really sure that the people who registered the domain name don't want it" then it still isn't a good idea.

It is really amazing that there are people who will not pay their renewal, then let months go by, and wake up one morning *outraged* that they don't have their domain name anymore.

If, in that situation, you had paid the renewal on the assumption that they had no interest in the name, had died, had ceased to care, or whatever, then all you've really done is put yourself back at square one, where at some point along the line you are going to impersonate them in order to change the info.

It's not something you want to get called on, even if the possibility seems unlikely.

No, you can't impersonate dead people either.

dictionaryof

Longtime DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Got ya. Yes, sleep at night is goooood.

I'm not going to wait it out for WLS. That's not soon I don't think :) *chuckle*

And http://www.internic.net/cgi/rpt_whois/rpt.cgi is actually pretty "neat". I've impressed they even give you a status URL to check back at...

Very curious to see what comes of the whole process. We'll see if the registrar actually does what they're supposed to.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts on the matter jb!

dictionaryof

Longtime DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wanted to update this situation.

I did the nic submission, twice... the second time about 21 days after the 1st.

And... finally, the name did drop... And it appears as though honesty and good dilligence have paid off for me; and the name is now in my possession.

I want to thank everyone who posted their opinion on this thread again. I really appreciate it. :)

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, even if you hadn't gotten the name that'd still be preferable to going to jail or having to pay huge fines for being a thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom