Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hyperi0n

Hi guys

Can someone tell me if all names follow the same drop pattern?

For instance, some names go into a hold state after a certain period of time after the expiry date and then drop a few days later. Is the case for all names or do different registrars follow different patterns? Do some names drop without going into the hold state?

Thanks

Domain summit 2024

jester

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hi hyperi0n,

I am new to this domain name drop game so I am not completely sure but following is what I have found out.

when a domain expires, registar typically hold onto the domain for 30 to 60 days. this is called on hold period and varies depending on registar. during this period, only previous domain owner can register that domain.

After this on hold period is over, list of the onhold domains from that registar is released to registry. registry, i think verisign plays important role, will hold on to the list for 5 days, about 120 hours. The domain is put on soon to expire list here.

Then domain is finally released for registration at which point a fierce competition starts for registering the best domains.

I was also told this is pattern is not always followed. Some registar will actually release the domain right after it expires. And in some cases, registar will not release the domain for months or even years.

again, i am only a newbie in process of doing my homework. I would appreciate it if some experienced master can correct or comment.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if all names follow the same drop pattern?

For instance, some names go into a hold state after a certain period of time after the expiry date and then drop a few days later. Is the case for all names or do different registrars follow different patterns? Do some names drop without going into the hold state?

all of the above are correct. That's what makes it so interesting.

NSI are actually a 6 day delete cycle. They frequently however drop them after 5. Or not at all. Even when in the delete cycle.

H

hyperi0n

Jester, thanks for your reply. This is all pretty much as I expected.

gmartfin....

Originally posted by gmartfin
all of the above are correct. That's what makes it so interesting.

NSI are actually a 6 day delete cycle. They frequently however drop them after 5. Or not at all. Even when in the delete cycle.

...so you are saying that NSI have a 5-6 day delete cycle but some other registrants may in fact not even have a delete cycle, they just release name back to the registry after some arbitrary period after expiration date? Is this correct?

hyper

H

hyperi0n

Okey dokey

Thanks everyone, that clears most things up for me apart from one thing......do all names go through the 5-6 day "In Purge" status at the Registry once the Registrar issues the "Delete" command?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they just release name back to the registry after some arbitrary period after expiration date? Is this correct?

every registrar is different. or has a different pattern. Enom as an example has varied between 3-7 days and last month when I talked to them they were running at something like 10. I think its deliberate on their part. Perhaps they tip off their drop club members.

There are some who delete the day after it expires.

And so on

If you know the registrar on a delete call and ask:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom