• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Quick bit of help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebark

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
26
I'm getting some problems from a webhost. Two of my sites are nearly always offline and they say it is my internet connection. :frusty:

Anyways - could you kindly try accessing the following two websites and let me know if it loaded, how long did it take and what type of internet access you are using.

www.bodybeautiful.ca
www.fyo.ca

Thank you so much.
 
I'm in Vancouver using Shaw high-speed Cable internet.

Takes about 15 seconds to load each site.
 
I'm in the States on high-speed. Both loaded for me inside of five seconds. Nice pages.
 
Thanks - keep em coming.

15 seconds! Ouch.
 
The domains resolve fine, but there is a relatively long delay (long enough that occasionally it timed out a few times for me ... even on reloads using different browsers despite the IP already being cached) before anything loads...

It appears the domains are namebased hosts - that is they share the same IP address as numerous other domains / websites ...

DNS itself looks ok ... but it could be the virtual host file is very large and/or the webhost itself does some processing of the host header, etc prior to serving the requested page.

In a nutshell, something definitely doesn't seem right.

Ron
 
Some things to look at / ask about ...

* Do your pages contain server-side-includes / asp scripts, remote calls, etc that run prior to the page being served?

* Perhaps an associated log file exceeds 2 GB? -can lead to delays in serving pages on some servers.

* Maybe the shared server is overloaded ... try loading pages at various times of day to see if the delay is always there / fluctuates.

Hope this helps.

Ron
 
Using a campus LAN the first site took approx. 15 sec to open while the other didn't open at all.
 
Thanks everyone - Ron - no I don't have any such pre-fetch setup - just standard sql queries. I run the same cms setups on other servers without a problem. It is a shared server though, and I highly suspect that it is overloaded. Though, sites not using an sql database on the same server rarely have troubles.

I just got another reply from the host - "We have checked your site's connectivity again and are unable to reproduce any error with slow load times. The domain name resolves instantly both within our office internet connection as well as through an outside internet connection, and there are no issues with the hosting account at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Considering only one person who has responded here had no trouble I think they are trying to play me for a fool.
 
SQL queries runs before a page is served ...

Create a "test" webpage like test.html or whatever with some content on it that contains *no* SQL queries ... then do some testing ... if the simple "test" page(s) loads right away, but the main page(s) don't, then the SQL queries are likely the problem ... if so, it could be the queries are flawed in some way and/or the webhost's SQL database server is overloaded / throttled in some way.

Ron
 
SQL queries runs before a page is served ...

Create a "test" webpage like test.html or whatever with some content on it that contains *no* SQL queries ... then do some testing ... if the simple "test" page(s) loads right away, but the main page(s) don't, then the SQL queries are likely the problem ... if so, it could be the queries are flawed in some way and/or the webhost's SQL database server is overloaded / throttled in some way.

Ron

I'll try that after I write my exam tonight. Though would a static html site on the same server give the same intended test result?
 
Both links opened a blank page after about 20-30 seconds delay...

I would say your host is a cowboy outfit :-)

Depending on your Space/bandwidth requirements, I may be able to give your sites a home for free for a month or 2. Gives you some time to research decent hosts.. PM me.
 
Thanks everyone - Ron - no I don't have any such pre-fetch setup - just standard sql queries. I run the same cms setups on other servers without a problem. It is a shared server though, and I highly suspect that it is overloaded. Though, sites not using an sql database on the same server rarely have troubles.

I just got another reply from the host - "We have checked your site's connectivity again and are unable to reproduce any error with slow load times. The domain name resolves instantly both within our office internet connection as well as through an outside internet connection, and there are no issues with the hosting account at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Considering only one person who has responded here had no trouble I think they are trying to play me for a fool.


That sounds like a stock response from a company I used a few years ago... d:) Ended up starting my own hosting company because of the poor service LOL

I will not name the company I have in mind but by any chance is it owned by someone called nyogi?
 
It's getting very frustrating to say the least. I just tried to access bodybeautiful.ca but it won't load. I wanted to work on fyo.ca today but cannot as it too will not load. My html based sites on the same server work fine.
 
Body site opened fine here in the UK after a few seconds delay. The other one cannot be reached.
 
Thanks for looking and replying.

I'm trying to add content to bodybeautiful - normally a process that takes less than a minute per article addition. It's been 45 minutes and I have managed to get one story published. I'm getting rather annoyed to say the least.
 
I have a box in Vancouver BC with RackForce. You can develop it on that if you like until you find alternative hosting. Free of charge of course. PM me if you want me to set it up.
 
Ya I can't load BB and FYO.ca loads after 10 seconds at work.


Ditch them, they are lying.
 
Ya I can't load BB and FYO.ca loads after 10 seconds at work.


Ditch them, they are lying.

Thanks for looking. I gave up on both sites today - they won't load for me at all without refreshing the page two dozen times. I was going to use the lull now that my university mid-terms are over and get fyo.ca completely finished and start a dating site - but why bother when nobody can view them!

Azooza - I might be in contact with you very shortly. I'm going to give them the opportunity to make right. The sites worked fine up to about ten days ago - but they have progressively gotten worse since then, and today seems the worst.

We have our own dedicated server that we host our client's websites on, but my partner and I promised ourselves we would not put our side-projects on the same server. We didn't want to cause any overload nor any other potential problems. I don't want to fork out another $1000 plus a year for a dedicated solution for our side projects but it may come to that as our website portfolio continues to grow. </end whining>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom