Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sad but amusing comment about COWBOYS.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From the following "cowboy.com" story...

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2007/10/whats_in_a_domain_name_about_2.php

One of the comments by someone named Jim, posted the following after the article (this is the kind of thinking that boggles the mind)...

Why exactly should the Cowboys pay $250k for a domain when they’ve already spent all these years marketing dallascowboys.com and making it the most visited website of any in the NFL (according to media metrix)? Sure, owning cowboys.com is a “nice-to-have”, but it hardly necessitates a $250k cash payment. Those who think it is a good idea for the Cowboys to pay anything substantial for this domain are smoking or have no clue about the business landscape of the Dallas Cowboys. They don’t have the same marketing and branding issues faced by most companies…

Domain Summit 2024

Busynic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mark the page and come back to it in 10 years time...........

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there really would be no reason to want cowboys.com, after all the marketing they did for dallascowboys.com... Except for the r i c h e $ those type-ins bring.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and/or the fact that not everyone going to cowboys.com is looking for anything sports related..duh

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't know about the cowboys.com type-in value for this team. I would imagine only a small % is looking for Dallas Cowboys... and yes, I will partly agree with the poster of the comment, since they already have a very well branded domain name, there is no urgency in owning cowboys.com

Busynic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also have a feeling most people refer to the Dallas Cowboys, as either "Dallas Cowboys" or "Dallas" not Cowboys. Marketing can change that, but the money is a debatable ROI. Better off spending 2m on the name "Dalllas.com" or whatever it would take to get it, than converting the public to use Cowboys as a standalone.

2 cents worth of private opinion.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it does bring up a good point... Cowboys (the ones with the guns.) spark much more interest among people who are going to that website, as apposed to people actually searching for the team.

I think that its something that shouldnt really even matter to us though. The world will always have dishonest people in it... There will always be people that mess things up. Regardless of the domain names value... If that offer wasnt submitted, the owners would be right where they are now with their domain name on the market.

There really isnt any other markets that have the funds to buy such a name for $275,000... So why would the cowboys(team) even consider paying anything near that.

Apparently, the folks who own the domain name Cowboys.com -- which is a "boot barn," no less -- were all ready to sell the moniker to Your Dallas Cowboys for $275,000 <---
Is that a typo? I cant understand what that means.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also have a feeling most people refer to the Dallas Cowboys, as either "Dallas Cowboys" or "Dallas" not Cowboys. Marketing can change that, but the money is a debatable ROI. Better off spending 2m on the name "Dalllas.com" or whatever it would take to get it, than converting the public to use Cowboys as a standalone.

Definetly agree...a lot of it depends on how the people call the team.

For example. the Chicago Bears wouldn't want to register "bears.com" simply because the large majority of people calls them "The Bears", so for them thebears.com would be worth a lot more.

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, I feel Jim makes a good point.

However, If I were a part of the Dallas Cowboys organization I might consider leasing a little space at Cowboys.com which would allow me to place a small banner above the fold, so visitors could be re-directed to the team site.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Nope...not me.

I have been a cowboys fan for over 30 years and it has always, always been "The cowboys" way more than "Dallas" and "The Dallas Cowboys".

I remember constantly getting a western store site when looking for the cowboys website in the early years.

Also, if you want to spend 2 million on a typo of Dallas.com I'm sure the owner will let it go :lol:

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There really isnt any other markets that have the funds to buy such a name for $275,000... So why would the cowboys(team) even consider paying anything near that.

Comments like that get me shaking my head. You've got to think about the scale of their business - I would think in the Billions of dollars. Doesn't matter how much branding they've done on "Dallas Cowboys." "COWBOYS" is still their team name.

Think about the use of COWBOYS.com for the organization for years and years to come. It makes it easier and quicker for people to access their site, even if it is to capture the very-small percent of people landing there, looking for DALLASCOWBOYS.com.

In the long run, it probably doesn't make much difference anyway, because, if they want to use the domain in the future, they could still most likely be able to pick it up for $1 Million to $5 Million - and even at that price, it's not gonna break their bank.

$275,000 may be a lot to you, but you can't even seem to comprehend the magnitude of their business. As someone earlier mentioned, that amount may be nothing more than popcorn sales for one game. That amount of money, to the Dallas Cowboys, would likely be comparable to a $25 expense to you.

For them not to have followed through with this purchase, for only $275,000, was stunningly ignorant. I also found the story amusing, but sad that people still don't get it. But, that's just my opinion.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I reckon Cowboys.com would've received huge traffic when Brokeback Mountain came out :p

Another way to brand Cowboys.com? Perhaps it'll be the most visited adult website in a couple of years...

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it'll be the most visited adult website in a couple of years...

Another good reason for the Dallas Cowboys to have secured the domain.

D

Deleted member 70408

Comments like that get me shaking my head. You've got to think about the scale of their business - I would think in the Billions of dollars. Doesn't matter how much branding they've done on "Dallas Cowboys." "COWBOYS" is still their team name.

Think about the use of COWBOYS.com for the organization for years and years to come. It makes it easier and quicker for people to access their site, even if it is to capture the very-small percent of people landing there, looking for DALLASCOWBOYS.com.

In the long run, it probably doesn't make much difference anyway, because, if they want to use the domain in the future, they could still most likely be able to pick it up for $1 Million to $5 Million - and even at that price, it's not gonna break their bank.

$275,000 may be a lot to you, but you can't even seem to comprehend the magnitude of their business. As someone earlier mentioned, that amount may be nothing more than popcorn sales for one game. That amount of money, to the Dallas Cowboys, would likely be comparable to a $25 expense to you.

For them not to have followed through with this purchase, for only $275,000, was stunningly ignorant. I also found the story amusing, but sad that people still don't get it. But, that's just my opinion.

I agree with Gregg here.

Another good reason for the Dallas Cowboys to have secured the domain.

There's a dude in Times Square that walks around in his tightie whities and a guitar. I've had the good fortune of never seeing him in my years in the city. He is called the Naked Cowboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom