Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know this will detract a lot of members from signing up to this forum, but we need a safe and secure way of making deals. I can brush $180 off my shoulder now, but someone new at domaining and with limited funds could potentially hurt them. Years ago bought a domain for $100, it was literally the last $100 I had in my pocket (the wife was sooooo angry at that). I sold it for I believe $750 about a month later. It saved me and my family for a week or two until I could get a job (new to Japan). I think back at that moment, what if that $100 was a scam? How would I live? I put trust in the seller and went for it because it’s all I had—and I’m a risk taker.

My suggestion is that EVERYONE selling a domain name gets verified before they are allowed to post a domain name.

Documents/info should include one or two of the following:

Social Security Card (Last 4 shown) along with credit card (last 4 shown)
Passport
Driver’s License + a bill to the resident address on it (scanned).
A phone number
…Can’t think of any other global verification methods at the moment.

I would be willing to verify users one by one to ensure they are who they say they are and what they own is what they own (modification of name servers or removing privacy for one).

___

Tonight I got scammed $180, not a huge deal. My Japanese (Shinto) "horoscope" for the New Year said give to the poor and you'll live happy. If he is really in the need of the money, okay. I have given 10,000 YEN (~$120) to homeless people on the streets before (wife still mad). I'm not rich nor poor, but am willing to give the excess away.

Upvote 0

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi
first, sorry this happened to you guys/gals

but i too saw the same names you guys bid on and paid for.

when i saw the price and signs of desperation (quick sale), my spider sense started tingling.

so i didn't jump.

over the years i've been a member on dnf, 'd have to say the majority of domainers who get scammed this way, are those who jump on too good to be true deals. many of which are posted by those who recently joined, have very few post or who haven't posted in long time.

i got taken on a tgtbt deal once, so i'm talking from experience.

hope you get refunds

imo..

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I didn't have 9 beers in me, I would have sensed 14G.com (half an ounce, good Marijuana domain) would be much more than $180 (which is what I paid for half an ounce in my high school days). Paid, done, he's banned, no regrets. :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scammers suck and they'll find ways around safeguards, sadly so it is very important for people to keep a good eye out and listen to their intuition when buying and selling domains.

One thing I am glad to see is that the industry itself seems to call out scammers and lawbreakers - this isn't true in some industries and it's frustrating to see it there.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Spend 7 seconds to think before diving into a swimming pool with no water.

Well, put 9 beers in me with money in my pocket and I would possibly do it. I know I'm immature for my age... but...

Live Life, No Regrets (I'm also a tattoo aficionado)
http://djw.net/llnr.png (paying respect to those who've served as well over my heart, where you will always belong).

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Friends don't let friends drink and register.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Agree with the OP that everyone be verified before they can sell... It might not eliminate fraud completely but it will drastically reduce it.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it was a Friday night of the New Year (winding down) and I was feeling lucky with my Shinto memento... Oh well!

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree with the OP that everyone be verified before they can sell... It might not eliminate fraud completely but it will drastically reduce it.

I agree with my post as well, along with the pissing on Obama. I would take time out of my own schedule to verify members if necessary. I've been scammed; it (doesn't) suck, but if I was when I was almost homeless-- I would have been very angry, let's just say (and a lot of "gold" members have dreams without a lot of money to invest as well)

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think many people are going to give up vital security details to join a forum. I see the seller had no trader rating, right there you actually get them to push first if it is under $250, or stay away. The forum seems to have addressed the issues before, trader rating is key, especially when it comes to any 3 letter/number type domain, for cheap.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When dealing with a newer member with zero itrader, don't be afraid to demand they push domain before you pay if you are an established member with a good rating.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I know. It's not a big deal to me. I'm just glad it happened to me and not someone else with only $180 in their pocket. My bank will give the money back if PayPal doesn't.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just in case, who wants to buy BeerHatsForMenWithAFridgeFullOfBeer.com for $180?

...Seriously, kidding... I think I should take myself to bed. :kev: <- Whatever that guy is saying must be true.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I know. It's not a big deal to me. I'm just glad it happened to me and not someone else with only $180 in their pocket. My bank will give the money back if PayPal doesn't.

That would be a very generous bank to refund the funds to an intangible asset, due to the fact the ownership of the domain, and transfer details would be next to impossible to verify. Although it is a smaller amount, but glad to hear you have banks which are willing to compensate such instances over there.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is that EVERYONE selling a domain name gets verified before they are allowed to post a domain name.
Sorry that you got scammed.

A verification scheme already exists: http://www.dnforum.com/dnfverified.php

But I think it's never been popular, and probably not everybody here knows it (still) exists.

There are ways around this if you are a dedicated scammer anyway. Moreover, there have been legitimate user accounts hijacked at DNF in the past, so the scammers could operate under an umbrella of trust.

Personally, I would vet the buyer myself, for example ask for a non-virtual phone number for a quick chat.
The verified paypal account could have been hijacked as well.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy has been alerted about this a-hole and are also looking into it.

Adam

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know that the logistics of what I'm about to suggest are probably unreasonable, but what about a low cost escrow-type system run by Admins/Moderators (or possibly coded into the site).

Charging maybe $5 per transaction which would greatly undercut fees charged by Sedo and Escrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom