Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

SEDO: Jerusalem .com Sells For $510K

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Jerusalem .com Sells For $510K

In June of 2009, it was reported that Jerusalem .com was purchased for $750,000 (the news was also reported in the Jerusalem Post). The website was used on its own for a while, and I later found it to be forwarding to GoJerusalem .com, which I thought was strange after such a big acquisition.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that Ryan Colby, one of Sedo’s top domain brokers, announced that Jerusalem.com was privately being offered for sale via his page on Facebook. I inquired about the asking price and learned that it was in the ballpark of half a million US dollars. I was very surprised at this and felt it was a good enough value to pass the information along to a couple of domain investors I know.

Earlier this evening, Ryan updated his Facebook and Twitter pages to announce that the sale of Jerusalem .com had closed at $510,000: “Jerusalem.com: SOLD for $510,000. A glorious geo name in every way.”

Since this is breaking news, I don’t have information on the buyer of this great domain name yet, but I am sure Sedo will soon make a more formal announcement with that information.

Congratulations to Sedo and the buyer of this great geographic domain name.

Source

______

Dan

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you consider how much revenue you can make on a city like this just with bookings alone.. Really awesome name, would loved to own and develop it!

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see why evryone sees this as good news. The domain lost 50% in value over a few years.

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SO basically the seller/s took a loss of approx $240K? That is sad news for them but great news for the new buyer/s.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's still a lot of money. There has to be a very serious business plan.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just followed link
never heard so much twaddle being spoken

510k and 750k does not represent good value imho

also it sold for a cool 250k LESS than what they paid for it, so gojerusalem clearly think they overpaid, or don't need it or whatever. or they're simply desperate for cash

brazil.com sold for 500k, now THAT'S good value imho, with what can be done with it

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can see the buyer is Mrs Jello.

companyone

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know they took a total...250K hit? ~ Or did they make some money in the year plus they had the domain?

Israel ~ The middle east ~ "Jerusalem" are ALL going be in the NEWS from this minute tell the end of time...

I right plan will make this a HUGE winner....IMHO

Best,
Dan

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
brazil.com sold for 500k, now THAT'S good value imho, with what can be done with it

I would develop a city.com anytime over a country.com. Simply because it's more targeted and it's easier. If you know your exact destination you search for a city, if you are just looking for some information you search for the country (except if it's as tiny as Monaco or Liechtenstein obviously). Just some numbers to prove my point:
Exact search per month for Brazil hotels: 27,100, same for Jerusalem hotels: 110,000.
England.com was sold for $2m in 1999. Now it's a site with alexa rank as of a cheap minisite. I know I would much rather have London.com :)

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vanity purchase imho
i believe Mrs.Jello is Jewish

be nice to have that sort of spare change knocking around

correct me if i'm wrong. i know mrs.jello has some uber nice domains, but to my knowledge has no developed sites to speak of?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mrs Jello has quite a few (nice) .tv too so he can afford to sustain non-productive domains :)
Not sure this one will be developed soon.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
England.com was sold for $2m in 1999. Now it's a site with alexa rank as of a cheap minisite. I know I would much rather have London.com :)

Much agreed. But neither name is anything to complain about.

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Whoever bought it has tooooooooo much extra money because ever since the day it was sold I have checked it almost
every other day and it goes to a godaddy parked page.. its a shame that it is not even a parked page with a parking company
so Godaddy is the only one reaping the traffic.. I mean come on it has been over 2 years and still no site and no parked page?

Some one has TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much money to waste..

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would develop a city.com anytime over a country.com. Simply because it's more targeted and it's easier. If you know your exact destination you search for a city, if you are just looking for some information you search for the country (except if it's as tiny as Monaco or Liechtenstein obviously). Just some numbers to prove my point:
Exact search per month for Brazil hotels: 27,100, same for Jerusalem hotels: 110,000.

Your correct, but *slightly* counterbalanced by this : Google GG maps/ local stuff/ + Twitter results... are splashing more and more (sometimes the whole 1st page !) when it comes to city + keyword requests. And its only the beginning...

Also, a country.com requires much less fresh content than a city.com imo

Congrats to Mrs Jello !

Last edited:

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dropping $250k, or basically 1/3 of value, in under two years is bad news, but the story reads like the owner wanted to sell rather than someone wanting to buy.

Obviously we all hope that domains keep rising in value but that is NEVER going to happen, market readjustment has to take place sometime in any market. However this may not be a market readjustment as such, just the seller making a quick sell for whatever reason.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators