• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Selling domains in newspaper ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
1,226
Reaction score
70
Has anyone placed ads in Businesses for Sale/Opportunity sections in newspapers before? Results?

I'm gonna test it out tomorrow (maybe it will be in next day) in the Las Vegas newspapers. It just cost me $40 some dollars to appear 1 day in two of the local papers. I just started a live auction on LasVegans.com so I figured it was worth the extra $s to hopefully boost competition.

Because of the increased cost of PPC advertising I am also looking to start promoting my websites via classifieds. I don't see as much competition there but hope the ROI is worth it.


Larry
 
Good luck...let us know how it goes
 
Around 5 years ago I had adverised some of my Biotech domains in a Biotech Magazine. I was contacted by two Biotech professionals. No sale took place.

URLtrader
 
Ive always thought about doing this have never done it.

Let us know how it goes!
 
I know of people who took out ads in a VERY high profile newspaper. The people pooled together their funds to take out ad and for a length of time (more than one day, but I do not know how long it was - perhaps a week or two). They advertised several top-tier names and had a link to their website where people could express interest in the names. As far as I know, there were no sales.

-Bob
 
$40 is well worth it, once i paid good money for a full page ad on a related magazine for a site, it was a terrible marketing choice. But then again i paid couple of hundred pounds to advertise my ex-internet cafe in the edinburgh metro newspaper and it worked a charm!

$40 is worth the test, anything that is $400+ isn't :)

Just out of interest how many readers do these Las Vegas newspapers have? i too maybe interested in buying some ads but for websites!
 
I have done some advertising in specialized magazines.
IMO it is best to target the publications carefully so you will reach qualified end users with the right domains for the right industry.

Also be prepared to put up a lander with some sales pitch to educate potential buyers... Assume that most do not understand the power of domains or why they should purchase one on the aftermarket - especially at your asking price :cool:

With newspapers you will be reaching more people but most are uneducated.
It's not the qualified audience you need. The average John Duh does not care about domains :smilewinkgrin:
I believe the newspapers are good for exposure and brand awareness, but not the best source for sales - JMO.
Also I would consider taking a booth at trade fairs :)
 
agree with that SDS.. I have advertised Full Page, Full Color in s few of the B2B magazines I work for and with mixed results.

It Can work, but it must be targeted right. Newspapers are too broad a spectrum and more likely to be a miss than a hit.
 
I have done some advertising in specialized magazines.
IMO it is best to target the publications carefully so you will reach qualified end users with the right domains for the right industry.

Also be prepared to put up a lander with some sales pitch to educate potential buyers... Assume that most do not understand the power of domains or why they should purchase one on the aftermarket - especially at your asking price :cool:

With newspapers you will be reaching more people but most are uneducated.
It's not the qualified audience you need. The average John Duh does not care about domains :smilewinkgrin:
I believe the newspapers are good for exposure and brand awareness, but not the best source for sales - JMO.
Also I would consider taking a booth at trade fairs :)


Makes a lot of sense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom