Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

selling your domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe826

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was curious as to where all of you have had success in selling your domains. I know many (if not most) transactions occur just by an interested user looking up the whois information, but are there any avenues or websites that have seemed to move some domains for you? Of course I know about this site's auction, which was quite fun last week (the first week I participated) and I know about ebay. I just listed a few decent domains on there at pretty good prices, I'll see what happens. Anyways, any insight you could give me would be great.

Thanks,
Joe

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
  • sedo.co.uk / sedo.us - Just got my first sale there recently (in process). Sales process is more difficult than it should be. They still want paper contracts faxed or mailed. Their minimum fee is $100, so don't price too low.
  • Afternic.com - Under new ownership. no sales since the change. Has it's plusses and minuses from the former afternic.com.
  • DomainSeller software make your own site with this script by -RJ- a frequenter of these forums. I'm using it on my site in the sig line. (prophp.com)

Other than ebay, here, and "that other domain forum", I've probably not sold anywhere else, even with extensive listings. Some are actually scams, others just don't get traffic.

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I suggest you, at least, set up a page on the domain name showing the domain name is for sale. There was a cool template floating around here that you can buy or use. I've had pretty good success on Ebay, but I sell developed websites, not just names. Those have a greater value.

Set up a site to sell your domain names using RJ's script. Then, there is a central location that you can easily update.

I set up a site for people to list their names for free at www.dnfsbo.com so feel free to add yours.

Joe826

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I'm actually nearly done with my new website, so RJs script won't be necessary. It does sound nice, though. I'll see how my sites do on eBay, it seems like there is an excessive amount of horrible domains asking absoultey absurd prices over there, and of course they don't get bid on. Mine still have 5 days left, so they haven't had many views yet. Is there any trick to get your pages near the front at all? I originally thought it was done by expiration time, but upon looking at the page I realized their expirations ranged from 1 hour to 10 days.

BTW - what's 'that other forum'? DomainState?

Thanks,
Joe

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did you feature your auction? That will put it up front. Also, BOLD the title. It's like $2 but really makes it stand out.

Yes, the "other" forum is DomainState.com

Joe826

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just barely joined eBay, and apparently I need a bidder feedback rating of 10 before I can feature anything. Too bad, I hope I get some feedback quickly.. and in order to get feedback I need some sales :).

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Or you can buy some stuff yourself and get some feedback from sellers. That always helps, too.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you have any success with featured sales on Ebay?

As a buyer I find them annoying as I feel it indicates that the seller is attempting to make an overpriced sale. I always ignore them and have written to Ebay several times asking for a way to suppress the listing (and the annoying thumbnails that reduce the number of items per page.

I seem to be in a minority of about 1 on most of my Ebay rants though :D

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use www.platinumname.com to sell my names.

You can try it and comment. I want to make it more powerful before open for public.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the best advice I ever received on the old Afternic forums was to make sure that if someone types in your domain name it leads to a page that says the domain name is for sale. (whether it refers to just that domain name, or all your domain names.)

This made the difference for me between being a failure at the domain game and, well, err....

Now I point most of my newly acquired domain names to www.trafficz.com/default.asp?o=inchicapi It is much quicker than making a web site for each domain like I used to do, gives me a little bit of income, and useful visitor stats.

I am getting around 20 new enquiries a month through type-ins for a portfolio of 250 names.

I have only ever sold one name through the likes of afternic / great domains / sedo.co.uk, and that was through sedo last week.

One of the advantages of making the effort to put up a web page for each domain is that you have a chance of extra publicity through it appearing in search engines for the domain "keyword". e.g.

www.google.com/search?q=tuesta

p.s. Isn't this question in the wrong thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators