Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Should I make Silver memberships free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People have spoken and I have listened. I need some feedback.

Should I make Silver memberships free? Silver memberships allow browsing of the entire site. Right now everyone in the world can browse the advertising section.

I posted in another thread my reasoning and here it is:

A lot of us have posted things that could come back on us and bite us in the ass. I've had numerous PMs where members have requested that threads be deleted because they wrote things they shouldn't have. At least this way it will cost $9.95 for someone to dig up dirt to use against you. We are also going to have 2 week trial Silver memberships. The dirt diggers will at least have to have to jump through some hoops to read.

And please don't use this thread to post remarks like "everything should be free". Please stick to the topic.

Upvote 0

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you Gregr for putting the question out to your members.

Re those wanting posts deleted - posters should take care of what they say in a public forum and if they regret having said something, they should go through their individual posts and delete the incriminating statements. If they say they don't have the time to do this, maybe offer them a 'delete all my posts' service charge of $49.

And charging $9.95 isn't going to stop an attorney signing up and going through all the posts anyway. I'm sure they can clainm this back as expenses, LOL.

Domain Summit 2024

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, browsing should be free. Add to that, free posting to all but the advertising section and live auctions, and you're back on the right track. :)

N

namegame

Originally posted by gregr
People have spoken and I have listened. I need some feedback.
Yes - but only to existing members - that would give the members who are on the fence about the whole "membership thing" a chance to decide whether to upgrade - they might just come around and see the true value of the gold and platinum memberships. If they decide to opt out entirely then they should be charged if they should want to come back in just like new members off the street - IMHO - that might make members feel they are a valued part of the club and act as an incentive for those currently here to stay and possibly upgrade at a later date. This move would not cost DNForum much and would go a long way in creating goodwill. I see this as mutually benefitial to both existing members and DNForum. (Just my 2 cents)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes - browsing should be free.

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure, If they can't sample the goodies, they might just say the heck with it and go elsewhere.

Hi-Ho SILVER!!!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ... these are my INITIAL thoughts ... I think you should KEEP the memberships as they are now, and ALSO offer a fourth level of "membership", that being perhaps entitled, "Standard". Then, folks could browse the Forum, etc. and "get their toes wet". This could possibly help to retain those that may otherwise leave, and also attract newcomers ... whom will ultimately fuel the growth of the site, IMO!
As for deleting/editing posts ... "Platinum" members can now do this, I believe. Also, there would be further incentive to then 'upgrade.
So, yes, offer something for FREE ... but possibly work out something in between the existing "Silver" and a proposed "Standard" browser/member.
Also, let me do some more thinking here ... and I'll get back to you on the subject. My head's still pounding from the RUSH of last night's very fun, and :cool: "Live Auction"!!
See you.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Free access to viewing sites is key, IMO. You and I have been spatting recently, Greg, but I can not resist saying that this is a plain old good idea.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the only exception to free browsing should be places where people post up expired lists and other items that are of a direct benefit to the active members.

Technically this should only be restricted to people who actively participate on the forums but as the membership structure stands it makes sense to provide it as a benefit of the paid membership (by which i mean that people who think dnforum warrants a small charge each month (mainly those who are more active here than others) will be helping each other out with such listings)

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Should definitely be free, and as Greggish said elemantary posting rights should be free too.

Hans

Olivier

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciqala
I think the only exception to free browsing should be places where people post up expired lists and other items that are of a direct benefit to the active members.

I agree with Ciqala! I have voted yes, because free browsing will maintain a high rotation of potential buyers, which will benefit the paying members in the end.

But, as Ciqala said, I wouldn't allow access to the sections that mostly benefit active members (to be determined by Greg/mods).

-Olivier

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Olivier
I agree with Ciqala! I have voted yes, because free browsing will maintain a high rotation of potential buyer, which will benefit the paying members in the end.

But, as Ciqala said, I wouldn't allow access to the sections that mostly benefit active members (to be determined by Greg/mods).

-Olivier

Bingo! THIS would be one area where a distinction could be made between the existing "Silver", and a proposed (free) "Standard".
I may have more, as well. Keep this going!! :)
:cool:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will vote yes on making Silver free, but only on the condition that Domebase frees Homer Simpson from avatar prison and restore him to his rightful place in the forum. :)

Ciq has a good point that I agree with. Expired lists would have to go into their own section that the admins could limit to Gold & Plat members.

I personally think posting should be limited to paid members as well. Since making Silver free is the only topic here I don't think posting is up for discussion anyhow.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Free browsing ...charge those that want you to remove a post ! :D

I think we will miss aquiring quality new members if you dont allow them to at least browse ...

We also say a lot of things thats other's cant "resist" wanting to comment on...human nature..

So allow them to see the discussions.. pay to to be a part of the discussions..

Which reminds me I still need to sign-up ..

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You guys have to realize....

Greg - Myself - Bob - Doobie - Andrew - stayed up all night slaving over a hot forum. We argued back and forth with each other making our own cases - looking at every possible angle - thinking about every comment made by members - and also making fun of Duke.

When all was said and done - we agreed on two very important things.....

1) The members had made it clear they wanted another option - and they deserved a vote!

2) We really enjoy making fun of Duke. :D

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
You guys have to realize....

Greg - Myself - Bob - Doobie - Andrew - stayed up all night slaving over a hot forum.

This is every night. :)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by NamePopper.com
We really enjoy making fun of Duke. :D

I hope Greg exercized the platinum membership perk I previously invoked and swatted you repeatedly about the head and shoulders area every time you made a sacreligious comment about me. :)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This vote is looking like the CEO-AIS banning vote. No need to wait for the outcome.

Silver memberships are now free. There goes $70 down the drain. I refunded all the people that signed up for Silver memberships. :)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BTW that one vote is not mine. I didn't vote. We have a non-conformist amongst us. :)

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well done. Now there's a better possibility of seeing the membership grow, insted of slowly watching it dwindle from it's current size.

How about limiting the silver members to one post a day, so they can get a "taste" of what it's like to be a DNF member. :)razz: mmm.... yummy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom