• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Should I trademark my websites domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorhoare

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
Does anyone have any experience with trademarking issues?
I have a website that is starting to gain popularity; and I'm wondering if it is worth me trying to trademark the name.
If so, would it be better to use the .com or not?

Also, I did a trademark search; and someone has registerred a trademark with the same name (without the .com)
I am sure this is coincidental as the domain is a generic term, but should I be worried about any legal issues with them? My site has been online much longer than their trademark has been around, and their trademark is not related to websites or computers.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Trev
 
Yes, do it, especially if it is making money and gaining popularity. I was reading WIPO decisions yesterday and couldn't believe what domains has been legally stolen - i.e. "blacksingle.com" - absolutely generic, yet "ordered to be transferred to the Complainant"
 
If you make the money to warrant it. yes
 
If it's a word found (or will be found) in the dictonary your 100% safe anything else get a TM.
 
scramjet said:
If it's a word found (or will be found) in the dictonary your 100% safe anything else get a TM.
That's right.
 
If it's a word found (or will be found) in the dictonary your 100% safe

That's NOT right
 
Should a brandable name be trademarked? Its not in the dictionary.
 
Well, the word is slang; so I don't think it's in the dictionary. A search for it on google yields millions of results, so it's fairly commonly used.
Ok, I think I will try to TM it. Should I go with the .com on the end?
Thanks for all the responses,
Trev
 
I think it's better to get a trademark without the .com, but that may be harder since somebody else has one already without it. If your company is different than their company you should have no problem getting the TM though.
 
I reg'd mine without the .com, but do own the .com of the name.
That way I am covered with the TM and most people just type in the addy with the .com or use a search enegine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom