Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sold a domain on eBay buyer used stolen PayPal account ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe if you accept payment via PayPal MassPay, its harder to reverse the payment.

If the PP account is hacked, Mass Pay can be reversed like any other PP payment.

Find A Date

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The exact thing happened to me over a year ago.

Perpetrator contacted me with hacked forum member account at another forum and offered me full price for my domain for $600.

Perpetrator paid me using a hacked PayPal account.

The hacked forum account had an exceptionally good trader reputation so I pushed the domain from my GD acct to theirs.

Next day the charge was reversed presumably by the actual owner.

GD and PayPal said I had no recourse except to contact the police.

I had no clue as to where the perpetrator was actually located.

Of course none of my emails to him were returned.

After no help from GD + PP I decided to spend the $18. or so they charge to do a "back order" on the domain.

I also contacted ICANN and GD to report the invalid whois info on the domain since the perpetrator obviously was not going to use his real contact information.

I followed the domain for the next year and contacted one person that had just bought the domain from him for twice what I sold it for. They contacted him and got their money back which surprised me. (I also contacted ICANN + GD again to report the invalid whois contact info when it went back into his name)

Apparently he sold it again to someone else I then contacted, and was told they need it for their business and I could go jump in a lake.

Apparently their business was spamming, since a couple of months later the domain whois info reflected that the domain was suspended due to spamming.

A couple of months after that, I was contacted by GD and told that my back order was successful and the domain was back in my account.

It took over a year but was worth the time and effort.

My first mistake was trusting that I was actually conversing with an honest individual, it seems that anyone can pretend to be whoever they want to be..Use escrow for money or domains you don't want to take a chance of losing.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your domain back, I know it can be a frustrating event.

Robert

zymic

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your email. It appears you entered into a third party agreement regarding the domain name and initiated the account change. As such, we are not able to become involved in this dispute.

Any further dispute over the ownership of the domain name will need to be sent either to the registrant, through an ICANN-approved arbitration provider (http://www.icann.org/dndr/udrp/approved-providers.htm) or the court system. Please be assured that if we receive notice of a pending legal dispute we will lock the name so that it cannot be transferred or otherwise modified. Likewise, when we receive a decision we will update the name accordingly. If you file a dispute concerning the domain name, please forward a copy to [email protected].

If you find that you are unable to contact the registrant because information in the Whois database is invalid, such as containing a disconnected telephone number or an undeliverable mailing address, please send a detailed email to [email protected] and we will attempt to contact the registrant and request that they update the information.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You accepted the risk when you chose to accept Paypal.

Why would you use a service that doesn't protect you against non-tangible items?

superwari0

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you should also notify ebay... that bidders history shows he also won the following

28036022226018-Jun-0925-Jun-09 13:07:10US $1,700.00TOAT.com 4 letter .com Domain Name 2 3 5 LLLL.com CVVCfingerz20 (*) grecostar126044536195512-Jul-0919-Jul-09 16:20:48US $511.00LFFF.com Premium 4 letter .com domain namefingerz20 (*) doovde23035691545613-Jul-0920-Jul-09 16:54:40US $2,699.00FLDP.org - REAL PR 7 - Domain Name - .edu back links!!fingerz20 (*) derickson27

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did I miss it? Why not post the eBay id of the buyer so others don't get scammed too.

superwari0

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
and all positive feedback? am i reading that wrong?

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well...new ebay accounts can be created within minutes. Mostly probably the ebay account was hacked also.

superwari0

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
first page of the thread shows "Winning bidder: fingerz20" .. 6 postive feedbacks on his page isnt going to help anyone identify the scam.

possibly the account was hacked.. previous win for "toat.com" shows its registered to Ben Gaugler who has it parked on sedo

i just notified the owner of the domain fldp.org which fingerz had a $2700 bid on.. seems like he is a dnforum member so Im emailing him the link to this thread.

Domaineroo

From SEOing to Domaining
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This same guy is trying to buy my domain FLDP.org from me on Ebay.

I knew someting was fishy when he asked to do the transaction outside of Ebay.com since "I don't have much positive feedback" -

My reply to him was:

"You don't have ANY positive feedback yourself, I will not send you the domain until funds have been verified via Escrow.com"

I have heard back since.

I would also like to thank Bryan Standley (DN user name?) for giving me a personal call to warn me about this guy due to this thread, thanks Bryan!

victornumber

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the warning to the community.

superwari0

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would also like to thank Bryan Standley (DN user name?) for giving me a personal call to warn me about this guy due to this thread, thanks Bryan!

no problem :cool: ... hopefully someone would do the same for me.

... i dont know if ebay will do anything about it but, someone should notify them as well (possibly the op) to try and stop him from using this same account to keep doing this.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
My first mistake was trusting that I was actually conversing with an honest individual

No, Your first mistake was accepting Paypal from a guy you didn't know.

Yeah, Paypal is quick and Escrow is slow, But look at how much time, money and aggravation it cost you..... Nearly 99% of my domain sales go through Escrow.com, If the buyer doesn't want to use Escrow and refuses bank wire or cashiers check, I end the transaction all together.

I do accept Paypal for domain sales, but ONLY from people I know and trust, and nothing over $300... I've been in this business now for 8 years and never once have I had a chargeback for a domain. Knock on wood.

If every seller would put more emphasis on protecting themselves against these crooks, Chargeback's for domains would be a lot less frequent.

superwari0

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It appears this same person is under investigation on the NP forum for using the name "lilipot" to falsely sale and transfer names like toat.com ... I bought a couple names from him on that forum but, already resold them. I'm going to post the paypal info he gave me once I get home.

The paypal I sent money to is [email protected] im calling paypal now to advise them of whats happening. I think this may end up being a much bigger fraud than we all know at the moment. It seems very well organized/planned.

zymic

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ebay closed the account.

Dear doovde,

Thank you for listing the following items on eBay. We have removed these listings and will credit all fees to your account because it has come to our attention that the items were bought without the account owner's authorisation. We are now restoring the account to its owner.

260445361955 - LFFF.com Premium 4 letter .com domain name

Please be assured that there is no negative mark on your account because of this. We only removed your listing so that we could credit all of your Insertion and Final Value Fees and prevent any further problems arising such as Unpaid Item disputes or negative feedback.

Unfortunately, we're not able to automatically relist the above item for you. To relist the item, you'll need to use either the Sell Your Item process on eBay, or another listing service.

Note: We will credit all fees for these listings to your account, however it may take up to ten days for all the Insertion and Final Value Fee credits to be shown on your account status page.

Thank you for your understanding in this difficult matter. If you have any questions or require assistance, you can contact us from any eBay Help page.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom