Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Spammer must pay $98,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's the article:

Oregon man violated state law on unsolicited e-mails

A prolific e-mailer was ordered yesterday to pay more than $98,000 for flooding Washington computers several years ago with dubious offers to make money through the Internet.

A King County Superior Court judge last month found that Jason Heckel of Salem, Ore., violated the state's law against sending misleading and unsolicited commercial e-mail that could not be traced.

Yesterday, Judge Douglass North fined the 28-year-old Heckel the maximum penalty, $2,000, for one violation of the rule. The rest of the penalty is for state's attorneys' fees and court costs. The total is $98,197.74.

The case, originally filed in 1998 after the state's anti-spam law took effect, was the first of its kind in the country. Similarly, yesterday's fine, the first of its kind, may set a standard for other cases pending against senders of unsolicited commercial e-mail.

Heckel was found liable last month through a summary judgment, which meant that the state's evidence was so overwhelming that the case didn't have to go to trial.

But because state attorneys did not have the opportunity to present their entire case to a jury, the judge ruled that Heckel violated the law based on one e-mail. The $2,000 penalty was for that one e-mail.

Regardless, Heckel lawyer Dale Crandall said he plans to appeal. He argued that individual state laws against Internet spam violate the U.S. Constitution's protection of interstate commerce.

"It would create a patchwork of laws that would be impossible to keep up with," Crandall said.

Since Washington passed its anti-spam law four years ago, 26 states have followed suit.

Washington's law does not make all spam illegal. Only e-mails that use a deceptive subject line, misrepresent the e-mail's origin or use someone else's domain name without permission are prohibited.

Heckel's messages began with the subject lines, "Did I get the right e-mail address?" and "For your review-HANDS OFF!" And when consumers tried to reply to the e-mail, the message came back as undeliverable.

The Heckel case developed a national profile as states and federal government tried to regulate activities over the Internet without restricting constitutional rights, such as free speech.

In 2000, another King County Superior Court judge found the law unconstitutional, but the next year the Washington State Supreme Court upheld the law. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear Heckel's case on appeal.

The protracted legal battle has increased costs on both sides of the issue. The state yesterday was awarded two-thirds of the fees it asked for.

It's unclear whether Heckel made enough from his Internet enterprise to pay the fees and fine. His business involved selling pamphlets on making money through the Internet.

His attorneys will not comment on whether he can pay the court judgment. But the Washington Attorney General's Office maintained in its lawsuit that Heckel sold an average of 30 to 50 pamphlets a month at $39.95. State lawyers say Heckel sent 100,000 to 1 million e-mails a week for about a year.

Attorneys argued that Heckel sent as many as 20,000 e-mails to Washington residents in 1998. The state asked for $20,000 in fines for multiple violations.

Still, the state is not expecting someone to cut a check soon, said Cheryl Reid, spokeswoman for the Attorney General's Office.

"The most significant victory is that the law has been upheld," Reid said. "The law allows people themselves to take spam cases to court."

Here's the link: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/91993_spam19.shtml

Watch those unsolicited domain name emails....

quack :uhoh:

M

mole

On the subject of spam, try http://www.spamcop.net and check out their email account. What it does is to query your existing POP account and pull all the mail into theirs. Then it filters those suckers out, and you retrieve your email from the Spamcop POP.

Total mince and a very effective server side solution.

Those spam mail that are held by spamcop, you just que for ISP/content host reporting and then bam bam bam, the reporting feature nukes them one by one at amazing speeds. Spamcop will shield your original email to prevent retaliation.

I rarely see any spammail being loaded into my Outlook nowadays. And for those that creep through into my computer, client based Spamassassin kills them on the spot.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mole - xcellent info - - I gotta do something, cause I get over 2,000 each day... Pitfall of expired domains, as you prolly know.

quack :D

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by domainduck
Thanks Mole - xcellent info - - I gotta do something, cause I get over 2,000 each day... Pitfall of expired domains, as you prolly know.
quack :D

Oh yes. . I have a hotmail account just for incoming email from domain names. I get probably 1000-1200 per day.

-Bob

Darkfire001

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whoa, Quite high there nearly 100K hopefully more cases will follow suit and we will see a drop in SPAM. In the recent Bussiness 2.0 magazine they have an article on Companies making Millions spamming people.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a hosting account deleted on me due to spamming issues. I have never sent any email myself from this Domain. Anyone know how people use someone elses Domain to spam? Is it that easy to do? I have contacted my host and got the ok to set it back up, but I am sure the spamming will continue.

Mike

M

mole

Originally posted by Tippy
I had a hosting account deleted on me due to spamming issues. I have never sent any email myself from this Domain. Anyone know how people use someone elses Domain to spam? Is it that easy to do? I have contacted my host and got the ok to set it back up, but I am sure the spamming will continue.

Spammers often spoof their email address to reflect anything they want. Recepients of spam who are unaware of these tricks may complain to the host of the domain reflected in the spoof email.

Spamcop reporting automatically checks these spoofed emails to verify if they are true or false by matching it to the IP address of the network on which the email orginates. Practically 100% of the time, these addresses are fake.

Unfortunately, many spam recepients don't know this.

Darkfire001

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well whats ironic is even in the 1/10,800 e-mail that I am actually interesed in the product its talking about generally the link doesnt work which invalidates the whole point of the e-mail.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
Quack.org drops today

Hey Andrew! ;) Check out the title of this thread. Aren't you worried? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators