• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Starting a Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the best place to host a forum, or is any hosting company good these days? I've used a sitebuilder type program to build webpages (cut & paste, etc.), but figure I need a real hosting account for this. Is Godaddy any good?
 
I wouldnt host with godaddy, recently they have just dropped sites they dont very much like. All my hosting has been through referals. Some of the guys Ive hosted with dont even have websites. GL.
 
Where is the best place to host a forum, or is any hosting company good these days? I've used a sitebuilder type program to build webpages (cut & paste, etc.), but figure I need a real hosting account for this. Is Godaddy any good?

For a start, I'd go with semi-dedicated package from JaguarPC: http://www.jaguarpc.com/services/hosting/semided.php

or get a cheap dedicated server from http://www.server4sale.com/ or http://www.servstra.com/

If your forum will get big and profitable, switch to http://www.softlayer.com/ or http://www.rackspace.com/. They are more professional, secure and expensive.
 
Where is the best place to host a forum, or is any hosting company good these days? I've used a sitebuilder type program to build webpages (cut & paste, etc.), but figure I need a real hosting account for this. Is Godaddy any good?

GoDaddy sucks. I started my forum on a reseller but outgrew it so now on my own dedicated plan.

I use ace-host.net, I visited the datacenter (they use GNAX) located in downtown atlanta (55 Marietta). Amazing security, nice facility, and I saw the server I rent.. pretty cool ;-D
 
Free under the gnu license is usually really good. PHPBB is good, put people aren't and they find holes in security :( I know of plenty of huge phpbb sites.
 
wow, rackspace starts at $383 per month.
 
If you run a SMF or phpBB, can you later switch to vb and port over all the member info and posts??

It's probably a wild dream, but i thought I'd post it anyways.
 
If you run a SMF or phpBB, can you later switch to vb and port over all the member info and posts??

It's probably a wild dream, but i thought I'd post it anyways.

of course you can.

if you are unsure about your forum, I would start with SMF (MUCH better than phpbb, and probably the best free forum out there).
once all goes well, import to VB.
otherwise, go to VB directly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom