• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Tactical verses Strategic domaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
2,337
Reaction score
35
Obviously most of us came into the business as what I would term 'Tatical Domainers', those that buy individual domains which are unrelated to each other except in the hope of either making a quick profit on turn around or prolonged profit by parking. What interests me is how many other domainers have progressed in the market to buying as 'Strategic Domainers', those buying domains creating specific portfolios (either in respect of specific topics or like 'Marchex's Zip Code portfolio').

I would imagine we all are on the lookout as 'tactical domainers', but are you building Stategic portfolios as well?
 
I am both like many other people I guess ^^
Besides, I develop too... I am not only a domainer but a webmaster. I have my own niches :cool:
 
Hi Sinc,

Yes, I think many domainers start out originally looking for just the 'tactical' registration or purchase but at varying speeds start to also look for 'strategic' registrations and purchases.
 
My feeling is that it is the inverse that happen, at least when domainers had previously some internet activities.
For example I started buying home and advertising related names because these were our 2 main internet activities.
After one don't care and simply start buying names that should sell or should generate revenue.
The problem with these names related to your business (mainly the strategic) is that you have a big affective so you allways find offer received low when in fact its' not true.

...
 
I am all for strategic investment. For starters, I don't buy .mobi and IDNs :D
 
see to me idn's and to some extent mobi's are one clear example of strategic buying - positioning oneself for potential future paradigm shifts.
 
strategic vs tactical?


both


being around this forum has taught me that there are certain areas/niches', where each year several requests come up for particular domain categories.

I have learned how to capitalize on the past...which makes my future look so bright! ;)
 
With your day today Big (not using the AK) I would think it looked like a very bright future! :)
 
see to me idn's and to some extent mobi's are one clear example of strategic buying - positioning oneself for potential future paradigm shifts.

In the same sense that while being a non-smoker you'd smoke a couple a day, just in case tobacco cures dementia :D
 
Please keep posts relevent, makes for a much more interesting discussion of the topic concerned.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom