Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

cctld TBR - November 9th 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A year after CIRA imposed major changes to the registration system and altered its communications to registrants, will there be an increase in the number of lost registrations?

Watch for increased TBR volume leading up to December.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A year after CIRA imposed major changes to the registration system and altered its communications to registrants, will there be an increase in the number of lost registrations?

Agree!!!

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it was a monster drop a year ago. I agree there will be larger amount of domains released in Dec.

I'll be letting some go...:)

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I miss the provincial extension drops.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That was one of the worst decisions ever to come from CIRA in dropping the provincial and territorial level - it is an insult to the regions and especially Quebec.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't understand even if the provincal ext domains are deleted upon expiry, what happpens to the root domain? Why does it not go back into the system?

example:

if the domain samplename.on.ca expires (cause they want to wipeout those provincal ext) why don't they atleast put samplename.ca in the TBR?

If there are no other conficiting provincal extensions... What happens to the domain samplename.ca??

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't understand even if the provincal ext domains are deleted upon expiry, what happpens to the root domain? Why does it not go back into the system?
example:if the domain samplename.on.ca expires (cause they want to wipeout those provincal ext) why don't they atleast put samplename.ca in the TBR? If there are no other conficiting provincal extensions... What happens to the domain samplename.ca??

I am 100% positive that the root name is the ONLY one listed in TBR and the provincial extension gets deleted. I am sure that it has been the case and it's an automatic upgrade for the domain, when there are no conflicting domains. Atleast someone thought through this, for which CIRA should be commended.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know the provincal extension is not listed, it will no longer exist...but I don't think the root gets listed in the TBR either.

I'm wondering what happens to the root domain?

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am 100% positive that the root name is the ONLY one listed in TBR and the provincial extension gets deleted. I am sure that it has been the case and it's an automatic upgrade for the domain, when there are no conflicting domains. Atleast someone thought through this, for which CIRA should be commended.

What do you mean? If you are the sole holder of the provincial or territorial level domain and there is no top level .ca you do not get upgraded automatically and there is no provision to simply move over based on what has been shown to date.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I owned domainname.on.ca and did not renew on time, and if there were no other provincial extensions of domainname was registered, then domainname.ca would be listed in the TBR list, and would be made available for registration on Wednesdays.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do see what you mean, but for someone holding this kind of domain and looking to 'upgrade' there appears to be no real way to do so safely.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think these are the things that CIRA needs to hear from Registrants.. Too bad there is not enough representation or effort to pass the message. Why don't you initiate it?? Is there anything happening on the 10th of this month in Montreal?? Would it be a good opportunity?? Is there anyone from CIRA listening??

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do see what you mean, but for someone holding this kind of domain and looking to 'upgrade' there appears to be no real way to do so safely.

We have, as part of our purging, dropped a number of exclusively prov. domains, and yes, once they're dropped, they're converted to 2nd-level in the TBR (eg. we dropped imat.on.ca, which was picked up as imat.ca this week).

With respect to the "upgrade," it is supposed to work like this: the registrant co-ordinates with the registrar to cancel their provincial. Because of CIRA's hourly refresh on the database, the registrant can then have the 2nd-level reg'd without anyone else knowing about the domain being available.

I doubt highly if there has been a single one done.

I stand by my posts of when it was revealed (and not by CIRA) that the end of provincials was implemented chiefly by Rob and Paul, because bidding on prov. TBR's was much less than 2nd-level's because most schmoes didn't understand under the old system that they could back-order the prov. and instantly create the 2nd-level as well simply for the reg. fee.
(Old eg. cop.ab.ca [was owned by Canada Olympic Park in Calgary] was picked up by a certain extra-terrestrial at the time for $200. - what is cop.ca worth?)

At the very least, under the revised system, a present exclusive prov. domain should be allowed to create simultaneously the 2nd-level without canceling their prov.

It would be difficult to find a prov. that is not a very mature 10+ years old, with SEO love, emails for the business, etc.

Can they cancel all of this, and re-create it, and all of their emails overnight?
There would need to be a 1 to 2 year transition process.

The pea-sized brains at CIRA disgust me to no end.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We have, as part of our purging, dropped a number of exclusively prov. domains, and yes, once they're dropped, they're converted to 2nd-level in the TBR (eg. we dropped imat.on.ca, which was picked up as imat.ca this week).

With respect to the "upgrade," it is supposed to work like this: the registrant co-ordinates with the registrar to cancel their provincial. Because of CIRA's hourly refresh on the database, the registrant can then have the 2nd-level reg'd without anyone else knowing about the domain being available.

I doubt highly if there has been a single one done.

I stand by my posts of when it was revealed (and not by CIRA) that the end of provincials was implemented chiefly by Rob and Paul, because bidding on prov. TBR's was much less than 2nd-level's because most schmoes didn't understand under the old system that they could back-order the prov. and instantly create the 2nd-level as well simply for the reg. fee.
(Old eg. cop.ab.ca [was owned by Canada Olympic Park in Calgary] was picked up by a certain extra-terrestrial at the time for $200. - what is cop.ca worth?)

At the very least, under the revised system, a present exclusive prov. domain should be allowed to create simultaneously the 2nd-level without canceling their prov.

It would be difficult to find a prov. that is not a very mature 10+ years old, with SEO love, emails for the business, etc.

Can they cancel all of this, and re-create it, and all of their emails overnight?
There would need to be a 1 to 2 year transition process.

Interesting comments.. I am listening!!!

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

That's why I loved to grab them - most were government affiliated, community groups etc and ranked well with lots of backlinks. Some I put up small sites on, and others are still parked and earning good money.

Damn you CIRA! ;)

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So getting back to this weeks TBR list, I see 4453 domains which is almost the same numbers we have been seeing for the last few weeks..
this could change soon.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are looking for December, because the change was only made through October, 2010, and the grace system can have domains sitting around for longer than just 30 days now. Perhaps we will see the uptick at the end of November just the same.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And, along with dotca, getting back on track with the topic at hand... this is a great week. I just finished reading over the whole list. Three "tooth and nail" names.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a big week for your yoga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators