Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Teach me how to install a script

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patsensei

Hi I would like someone to help me install a script mysql database php. I have never done this before. I have MSN and maybe we can chat an install this together. I would really love to learn how to do this but no one around to teach :emba:
So if you have patience and would like to teach me please name your rate and let me know by PM. Thanks!

Register for the auction

blindchild

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Heres what i found out, will be much easier if you follow these steps (just thanks for the help will do, dont need anything else)

1. edit the configuration variables inside the php script (look for setup.php or config.php or something like this in the readme.txt).
2. You will need to set absolute paths most likely to directories if the script will be doing any file writing. The absolute path is the full path from the server to the directory you are writing to. Something like this (shown in red/green):

/home/usr/htdocs/datadir

The RELATIVE path is the path from public or html portion of the directory (shown in green above):

/datadir

3. If the script utilyzes a mySQL database then you will need to create the tables associated with the mySQL database. If the script doesn't come with a helper table creation script then you can use telnet. There is instructions on how to use telnet to create a mySQL table in one of my prior diary entries: click here for 7-07-00 diary

4. You will likely need to set UNIX permissions for any file/directory that the script must access. In doing so you should be given the permission settings in the readme file. If there is no readme then you might try the following:

chmod 666 filename.txt (any file that needs to be read/written by the php script)
chmod 777 DIRECTORY (any directory that needs to be read/written by the php script)

5. If the script requires function froms php 4.0 and your version of php is less than 4+ then you will need to have your host compile php 4.0 on the server or rewrite the portions of the code calling those functions. You can check what version of PHP you are using by creating a simple test.php file with the following code:

<? phpinfo(); ?>

This will tell you a lot more than just what version of PHP you are running. Try it :)
6. upload all scripts in ASCII mode. Binary can really mess up script source files, so look into your FTP editor settings and ensure you are using ASCII mode for any scripts you try to upload.
7. Does the script require the gd library or other modules which are not included with the core php source? If the script does then these libraries must be compiled by your host (or you) prior to executing the script. Check the script readme documentation for more help on this.

I think this hits the high points in doing a php install. Fortunately the parser should help you by explaining the errors when you try to run the script.

Keep in mind that "parser error at line xxx" can be misleading. The error might actually be one or two lines off this parser error.
Also if it is an open loop in the code, the parser error can show up at the very last line of code (this should never happen with code you download to install elsewhere, but leaving an open loop can happen in your own code development).
it is easy to omit a semi-colon (;) or closing quote (") in a variable assignment. Watch for these mistakes.
Most script install errors are the fault of the wrong paths being assigned in the configuation. Learn what your paths are to the following directories by either contacting your host or reviewing other scripts installed on your server:

1. absolute path to your cgi-bin
2. absolute path to your www or public html directory
3. absolute path to your NON public directory. Some scripts require loading password files and other secure files ABOVE the public directory for enhanced security from the web.

Some scripts require you to use .htaccess to protect the admin areas. You can use telnet to create .htpasswd style files but if you don't have telnet access then I've created a little program that you can use for free to create an encrypted password file. You can find it at:

P

patsensei

Thanks. Wow. a little overwhelmed with all the help. I love this forum!
All PM's replied to. :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

ChrisMacleod

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
great site biggedon that will help alot of people on the forum incl me!

blindchild

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No problem , if you need anything other guide, feel free to post here and i will paste the way.

LuckYou

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
installation is easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom