• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Teddy Geiger wins Web domain lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

companyone

DNF Regular
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
12
Teddy Geiger wins Web domain lawsuit

Michael Zeigler
Staff writer


(May 30, 2007) — Teddy Geiger has won a lawsuit over the use of his name on the World Wide Web.

Geiger, an 18-year-old singer and songwriter from Pittsford, alleged in a January lawsuit that a Minnesota man was violating the trademark status of Geiger’s name by claiming ownership of the Web site domain names teddygeiger.com and .teddygeiger.net.

When Geiger’s opponent didn’t respond to the lawsuit, U.S. District Judge Charles J. Siragusa granted a default judgment, giving Geiger ownership of those domain names.

Geiger didn’t seek money but just wanted to use his name, his lawyer said at the time the lawsuit was filed.

Geiger, whose given name is John Theodore Geiger II, signed a management agreement three years ago with Greg Sheldon of Dalbo, Minn. Sheldon registered the domain names of teddygeiger.com and teddygeiger.net.

In the lawsuit, Geiger said he was a minor at the time the contract was signed, alleged the agreement was never affirmed by a court, and said Sheldon registered the domain names without legal permission.

The lawsuit alleged that Sheldon offered to sell the domain names to Geiger for at least $20,000. When Geiger’s career took off in 2005, he began using the site teddygeigermusic.com. Source
 
I remember reading about this a while ago, its nice to hear it went his way.
 
I'm curious why an UDRP was not filed before. Lawsuits can get nasty.
 
Microsoft bought Surface.com without my legal permission.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
But it doesn't bother me...
 
It's unfortunate that many people think they have right to everything they like.
 
companyone you are like a RSS news feed!

Interesting article, nonetheless
 
Hi KC,

Always like finding news about interseting things related to the domain and internet marketing industrys...that and I want to be somewhat of a positive member of the dnforum and contribute something...lol... I wish I could get all these different news & articles ALL in one single RSS feed...but they come from all over the place. Have to do it a bit the old fashion way. Hope most members injoy the info...thats all. Some post are better than others...but what are you going do...LOL

Best,
Dan
 
You misunderstood me I think.. I think it's great info you provide. Keep it up ;)
 
Hi KC..

no...I took your comments as "way positive"! :cool: :cool: :cool:


Best,
Dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom