• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Tell me about "secondlife" and others please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggieBiggie is verified member.

DNForum Moderator
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
15,098
Reaction score
2,269
Hi!

I would like to know the basic premise, traffic and costs to join "secondlife" , weblo and other virtual community sites.

If you know, please list the top 10 according to how much traffic you believe they get daily or monthly.

Would also appreciate if you could provide when each of these sites first started.

If there are some "up and coming" sites of this nature, feel free to mention.



Thanks in advance!
 
I tested out second life for a while it is okay not really my thing though. I really was just looking for a new way to bring in revenue and wanted to see if there was anything there. From what it looked like it takes a lot of work to build anything and then you have to heave stuff to sell. I was thinking of just having some bilbaords or something there advertising my websites or a building where people can buy domain names or such...

Other sites that i know of are imvu I think never looked at, I know someone here has a hotel like one and then the adult one utrevereser or something. i was bored and tried that out to and was pretty worthless.

Thats all I know!!!
John
 
If you know, please list the top 10 according to how much traffic you believe they get daily or monthly.

Would also appreciate if you could provide when each of these sites first started.

If there are some "up and coming" sites of this nature, feel free to mention.

hahahaha...registering typos huh, make the little guys do the leg work..
 
Secondlife can be profitable, but it takes time to learn it if you want to be a merchant. It is the best 3D social network IMO.

It's not like getting a good name and letting the clicks/$$$ come in.

It more like a website with dedicated time and development required.

here are stats on the Lindex (their stock exchange) and the amount of ppl who make a profit and in which brackets.
http://secondlife.com/whatis/economy_stats.php
 
I run a large fansite community for the virtual avatar chat 'Habbo Hotel'.

http://www.habbohotel.com

10K users on at peak times.
 
Hi!

I would like to know the basic premise, traffic and costs to join "secondlife" , weblo and other virtual community sites.

If you know, please list the top 10 according to how much traffic you believe they get daily or monthly.

Would also appreciate if you could provide when each of these sites first started.

If there are some "up and coming" sites of this nature, feel free to mention.



Thanks in advance!

Joining second life is free, so just do it if you want to know more about it
I was attracted to it recently, when I read that the participants would be able to speak to each other rather than text.
That had not been implemented when I tried it
I was a dismal failure at it
When you join , they set you some tasks, to improve your proficiency in moving about the world
I passed a few tests , however when attempting the flying test, I hit the button take off, which resulted in me walking around with no trousers on.
The other newbies didn't seem to mind. Lots of them walking around saying wtf do i do next. Lots of text chat in other languages was sent to me.
The notebook I was using didn't really have the graphics grunt to be able to read the billboards correctly, so with no trousers on, I gave up.
Might try it again as I have since discovered that my wireless ISP will provide the bandwidth for free, if I join up through them. There must be a quid in it for them somewhere, as they are a notoriously greedy corporation.
 
Thanks to those who were able to provide some info!

I had read an article about a major food company, that was sponsoring this chef's "virtual food store" which will be at "secondlife".

I see this market is being added into the "scope" of some progressive advertisers planning strategies and I wanted to get the heads up on how they work.

Really appreciate your imput!
 
If you consider to become a platinum member, PM me. You will get L$1000 through my link.
 
you should check the IBM islands (SIMs)

They have taken an aggressive approach along with several major car companies.

You can set up billboard &shops that when clicked take you to a URL or even a specific product url. on the web.

Dell, IBM, Toyota, just to name a few, use such tactics inside SL.

Also, as SL grew in the past 8 months, gaining 500k + accounts per/mo. they switched to using mostly the Amazon servers to allow for such rapid growth while maintaining a stable "grid"

Second Life is here to stay...and as I have often heard, "Second Life is everything MySpace wants to be" - I.E. there are so many live music events for free!
 
You might get some virtual p...y too!
 
I try to live real life..but thats just me..
 
Off Topic:

Hey Focus, not sure if this is geared at the "xxx" or the social networking biz but either way

In the multi-national, multi-billion, multi-virtual world

xxx still sell very well

But there is no substitute ;)

and living Real life is preferred, but I interact with/through a machine for a living.

But enjoy brews with friends and wine with ladies.

SL is a biz opportunity, no doubt about it.

Cheers
 
Latest issue of Business2.0 magazine has a short piece on a lawyer who has opened up a business in a virtual world, Second Life I think. Past issues have also talked about other companies with a presence in virtual worlds. I think many major companies want to be where the people are, and be able to interact with them, even in a virtual world.

I see the word 'virtual' more often now, and I think it's just the start of more virtual online activities.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom