Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

This is CRAZY - Hurricane Sandy Updates From Baltimore City Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Over the past several days of watching tv and updates, I have a new, profound respect for Gov. Christie. New Jerseyans are lucky to have this guy.

I agree. I think he knows how to handle situations, speaks well, and has an outstanding personality. He seems very down to earth.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most places did not even need to do this. The surge and water flooded the waste treatment plants to where the raw sewage poured out. Some treatment plants have been taken totally out. So unless there is a way to turn the raw sewage from coming into where the plant used to be, it is still flowing into whatever is there, even on the ground.

It is going to be a virtual sewer and breeding ground of disease real quick if they do not do something to get rid of the standing water. And they can start by clearing the storm drains on the streets of NYC.

I didnt really think of it that way. The lady I was talking to told me that with so much water involved in diluting when flushing, and the water it goes into, that the effects are not all that severe short term. Only if it were to be over an extended time frame. But with entire plants being flushed away, as well as all other sewage, rats, mice, trash... They are going to have a big issue on their hands. It boggles my mind that something like this isnt something we see more often... It's not very often we see entire cities fall to their knees... yet they are so vulnerable. They all rely too heavily on too many things to be in order. As do many of us!

Perhaps though, the water flushed out all the rats? That would be an up side of things... although... I am sure they would eventually make their way back.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That would be an up side of things... although... I am sure they would eventually make their way back.
Floating on debris...

on a positive note, my in-laws got their power back on this morning around 9am but they still have nearly 4 feet of snow to deal with.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What in the hell is bloomberg thinking by not postponing the Marathon?

Is this a joke? The Marathon is run through all 5 of NYC's boroughs. What in the hell is the route? Where ever there is not a car, or a house, or a body in a road?

The focus needs to be on the citizens of this area. There are still many missing and countless homeless, no power, no place to stay.

Is bloomberg expecting New Yorkers to line the streets in celebratory mindset and hand out water as the runners pass by?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Watching NBC Rock Center last night, it appears the last straw for New Yorkers v Marathon was the tractor trailer generators brought in to power time clocks along the runner's route. Each generator is capable of powering 400 homes. And they were brought in to use for the marathon while millions (including lower Manhattan) still do not have power. Also, EMS, police officers, first responders, and fire department were not too keen on taking manpower away from search and rescue to work the runner's route.

Happy to see people come to their senses and make the right decision, even if it is a little late.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone made it through this okay especially with the new round of weather?

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tia. Everything seems to be ok on my end. Everyone safe at least.

I've decided to head to NJ in two weeks. I will be staying there for a week and a half to help with some rebuilding. They are in desperate need of help. If anyone is interested, or wondering how you can help, PM me. I don't help out with things like this too often, but this whole thing hits close to home (no pun intended) and I know of and see first hand, people that were affected greatly by this storm.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Johnn.

I think that was a good call. Very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators