Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

TM for "Design"...Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wondering if someone can help me understand the difference, if any, when a term/word is trademarked but it's under the heading "Design" as compared to regular TM? Does it make any difference from UDRP standpoint? The case in point is a "two-word" combo (For Example: "MatchMaker") that's trademarked in this manner and its regged by the same entity in all major tlds except one. Is it to invite trouble to get it regged in that remaining extension?

Domain Summit 2024
S

Silverwire

Originally posted by DryHeat
Wondering if someone can help me understand the difference, if any, when a term/word is trademarked but it's under the heading "Design" as compared to regular TM? Does it make any difference from UDRP standpoint? The case in point is a "two-word" combo (For Example: "MatchMaker") that's trademarked in this manner and its regged by the same entity in all major tlds except one. Is it to invite trouble to get it regged in that remaining extension?

I'm sure this would be better answered by an attorney, but since no one has replied yet, I'll offer a stab at it and hope to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Design covers the graphical look of the mark (like a logo) more so than the actual words.

If you are using the domain name for it's generic meaning (e.g. "matchmaker" to match people looking for date) then you should be safe.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Silverwire

Design covers the graphical look of the mark (like a logo) more so than the actual words.

If you are using the domain name for it's generic meaning (e.g. "matchmaker" to match people looking for date) then you should be safe.

Thanks Silver. I was thinking on the same lines, however, in this case the "design" consists pretty much of the actual words written in plain English and nothing much else like a "graphical" look or logo, etc....that's what got me thinking!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no black-and-white rule that answers this question. If the product is dog food, and the design consists of a distinctive representation of the words "dog food", then it is a safe bet there is no enforcible claim to the underlying words. Often in that situation, the registration itself will include an express disclaimer of the words in the design.

Whether the words per se are protected depends on the "commercial impression" made by the mark - i.e. are consumers likely to distinctively associate the words as an indicator of source or origin of the goods.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. jberryhill for, as always, your educational reply. I guess this is not a situation like "DogFood" its bit more in the grey area (like they often are) ...What the heck, let me post it anyway and if somebody wants to act on it that's okay....If it helps further our understanding of important issues like this its worth it. Its: "MusicMatch".. ;)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since a term like "musicmatch" doesn't seem particularly generic or descriptive, then it would be likely they would claim rights in the term, even if the registration was for a stylized representation. However, there are two federal registrations which are not for stylized representations:

2426718 MUSICMATCH
2380285 MUSICMATCH

Where it says the "Mark Drawing Code" is a "Typed Drawing", they mean the letters themselves.

But with stylized marks in general, UDRP panels have had few difficulties finding "confusing similarity" in many but the most apparent examples of marks that would otherwise be generic or descriptive of the goods or services. In real trademark infringement situations, whether the infringer is using a confusingly similar mark would be a fact question left to a jury.

And that's probably a good jumping off point for why lawyers often seem so wishy-washy. There are two things that go on in parallel during a trial - resolving questions of law, and resolving questions of fact. A legal question is, "If you intentionally stab your ex-wife to death, is it first degree murder?" A fact question is, "Did O.J. Simpson engage in first degree murder?" Lawyers are pretty good at predicting the answers to the first category of question. But when you let a jury decide what are the facts of the situation, then anything can happen.

So, in determining whether, as a matter of fact, the underlying words are confusingly similar to a "design mark", then you are going to look at a bunch of things that contribute to the overall impression conveyed by the particular design mark in question. The extent to which the words are otherwise generic or descriptive is a good starting point. Then, you might want to look at whether there are any express disclaimers in the registration, the use of other similar marks by others in the relevant class of goods or services, etc.

Here's an example of a UDRP decision addressing this issue in the context of a respondent default:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-1270.html
"Thus, although the complainant has rights in the stylized form of the trademark LOVELY GIRL in relation to women’s apparel and women’s care products, those rights cannot prevail over the use of the words "lovely girls" as an accurate description of lovely girls. Likewise the owner of the trademark APPLE in relation to computers cannot prevent use of the word "apple" in relation to apples."

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr. Berryhill, once again, I (as I'm sure many other forum members) truly appreciate your highly informative posts like the one above. Despite having some familiarity with legal constructs due to the nature of my "regular" work I'd need some time to adequately understand and benefit from your reply above since it's laiden with so rich info. Thanks again & Happy Holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom