• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

TM typos and what happens before WIPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesticker

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
I have a few bank and insurance typos.
I was wondering....
Before a company would spend $1500 and go through the bother of WIPO to get a typo do you think they would e-mail me first and offer me $500-$1000

Thanks in advance :charming:
Daryl
 
If I was the company I would email or contact them first and inform them of the problem, and if they did not transfer the domain, I would then pay for legal action.
 
With many companies, it's a matter of principal. If you can earn XXX on that name, what's stopping anyone else from doing the same.... If they enforce the WIPO restrictions, then they try to encourage users to stay away from everything with their brand, similar to what myspace has recently done.
 
depends on the company. I know someone who reg'd variations of upcoming drugs and a pharma company's lawyers called him. He said it cost him $250 each to reg them (the lawyers had to know he was full of it) but they paid him right away.
 
They won't pay you that amount of $ - depends on the company, most won't pay you a dime. Not even for the registration of the domain. Each company has their own descretion on how they want to approach it - some will let you use domains with affiliate programs, others won't, some let you bid on their name in PPC, others won't.

"Just Depends".

-I had this happen and I never got a letter from the company, just the attorney they were using. I asked for the company that he's representing to provide proof that he's their attorney. They never provided that - next thing - it's at WIPO. They wouldn't provide me doco from them that he represented them, therefore I wouldn't release it.

G-i-g-a-l-a-w representing I-C-G-S-H-o-t-e-l-s-G-r-o-u-p otherwise known as H-o-l-i-d-a-y-I-n-n

Learn from your mistakes. Take it from me stay away from the ones mentioned by others.
 
The only answer is to sell your problem names to me.
 
nitronet said:
The only answer is to sell your problem names to me.

:bandit: Good one.

The names are not a problem yet and i have never been contacted about any names. I did search WIPO and one of my domain typos companys did file a year or 2 ago when someone took there name and added "mortgage" and "loans" to the end.
example: Bankoneloans.com
Now i can see where Bank One would go after the person who is using it's actual name, but may not bother with a abnkone.com domain name.

I was just curious if anyone had had an experience.
I'd rather get a few bucks than nothing at all.
 
id just give the name to them and be happy not to get sued.
 
nitronet is right ... if you don't want to take the risk, and yet still want to earn some money, then you should consider selling them to someone who specializes in such domains.

Ron
 
bluesticker said:
I have a few bank and insurance typos.
I was wondering....
Before a company would spend $1500 and go through the bother of WIPO to get a typo do you think they would e-mail me first and offer me $500-$1000

Thanks in advance :charming:
Daryl


Highly unlikely.

They probably view your actions as extortion.

Bank typos are serious, because of the phishing risks.
 
Domainsbyproxy.com doesn't give up any registrant data without a suboena.
 
prose said:
Domainsbyproxy.com doesn't give up any registrant data without a suboena.


Hiding your identity may do more harm than good.

1. Hiding your identity helps to show bad faith. Under ACPA, it is one of the statutory criteria of bad faith.

2. Hiding your identity may prevent a UDRP, but it may escalate the fight to civil or criminal courts. You may be inviting your enemy to use heavier artillery. Subpoenas are not good. ACPA lawsuits seeking $100,000 PER DOMAIN are not good. RICO indictments are not good.

I predict in the next year you will start to see RICO applied to cybersquatting/ typosquatting.

Who knows? You may even see the domain privacy services and registrars named as defendants.

Can banks knowingly allow money laundering? No. So, why can a domain privacy service or registrar profit by aiding TM poachers?

They can't. It won't hold up.
 
whois privacy is not allowed on .us domains now, atleast thats what the email i got from enom said
 
Trying to hide behind a domain privacy service only means that when they come after you, they will hit you even harder.
 
DaddyHalbucks said:
Trying to hide behind a domain privacy service only means that when they come after you, they will hit you even harder.

I'm not hiding.
If they check my whois they can phone me.
my question was...would they phone me?
or is my first contact with them a letter from WIPO

has anyone here ever been contacted?
 
bluesticker said:
I'm not hiding.
If they check my whois they can phone me.
my question was...would they phone me?
or is my first contact with them a letter from WIPO

has anyone here ever been contacted?

Hi

if you're worried about what will happen, then you shouldn't be taking the risk.

but here's my experiences....

some will call

this serves two purposes

1. establish legitimate phone info

2. speak directly to owner or administrator listed

if you get the call, be prepared.

always ask...."who's calling"

then ask.."what is this call in reference to"

they will try to ascertain if you are the owner.

if they do not say why they are calling, do not give any info.

when they identity who they are, and the purpose of the call...

ask them "can you hold a minute, while I check that account"

from there you can gather yourself.

a typical reply to them would be....

can we verify your creditials as well as investigate your claims to this issue?

their answer should be yes.

ask..."will you allow us 48 hrs" to contact you, after verification.

then state...should we find that there was "unintentional infringement" on our part, would you be willing to 'reimburse or compensate' us for our expenses and maintenance costs?

these are real people, on the other end of the phone, and sometimes you can catch them in a good mood!

i've spoken with wm's lawyers, and i mean more than one!

some are determined and some are flexible.

it depends on what THEY have achieved already or what they are trying to acheive now in their own lives.


as is, we, me, and any other person who takes these risks are keeping them employed. without us, they could lose their jobs!

most will call, then send email to confirm the phone conversation.

some will send email and certified mail, these typically are not looking to conversate. if you don't respond, they will proceed to the next step.

however, you still can reply, using the same method mentioned above.

do not try to sell this domain, if you receive call or email.

in the end, just give up the domain, when you know you have no claim!
 
Thanks biggedon for that Great reply.

So much more informative than "sell it to me" :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom