Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Toxic Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I get two emails this morning with the subject line "Removal of Toxic Linking". It's a request for the removal of links from an article supplied years ago with links. We used to participate in a webmaster swap of content in return for links.

My immediate reaction is FU I don't build toxic sites to begin with. Ours is a travel site and theirs is too. The links are in an article and contextual and I wouldn't see a problem under any SEO scenario. Especially since our site is years old. There is nothing paid for the link so they meet any criteria. Nor is Google going to go back that far in examining links nor is there any way for them to determine that they are anything but what they are. Freely granted links.

I feel insulted! If I say FU and don't remove them.... or accept the insult and remove them....

What idiot titles an email "toxic links removal" and expects love from us?

This is the second request I've received this month and it is apparent to me we now have so called SEO link removal services being sold to idiotic website owners that are even STUPIDER than the guys that built the so called bad links. GRRRR.

So my new "service" is to charge $25 for link removals :) We'll see just how stupid these people are!

Anyone else having this experience?

It also just occurred to me that anyone could make this request to help kill off a competitors web site. We don't know that they actually represent the website owner. The charge would legitimize the work as only someone serious would pay it. Crooks would run.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all sounds like spam to me.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Toxic Links",... smells like someone that doesnt appreciate "nofollow".

All my outbound links are "nofollow" for a reason. As it should be.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No they aren't no follow.

Why would you even grant a link and then make it no follow? I certainly wouldn't accept a link trade like that!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could it be that it has to do with the latest google update, people are cleaning up their links for fear of being penalized.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^ not for fear of being penalized, for being penalized and losing a significant amount of organic traffic.

if enough bad sites are linking to your site, you are going to begin resembling a bad site, no?

"Toxic Links",... smells like someone that doesnt appreciate "nofollow".

All my outbound links are "nofollow" for a reason. As it should be.

not sure if you are being serious? if you are it's ridiculous.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The point is that we don't build "bad" sites. All are quality and a link there is gold. Or at least silver.

My point is we now have a bunch of idiots running around offering to remove links (for a price of course) who know less than the people that set them up to begin with.

And site owners stupid enough to actually pay them.

Regardless it's work and I'm going to charge for it and see just how badly they want them gone.

I sent back the two emails yesterday quoting them $25 each.

kramer9399

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are doing this since the latest Google penguin update...Its not that your site is 'garbage' .. They might have bad anchors, etc...

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are doing this since the latest Google penguin update...Its not that your site is 'garbage' .. They might have bad anchors, etc...

Granted that may be but would you title the emails "Toxic Link Removal" when asking for the webmaster to do free work for them?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something you may not have considered: Perhaps your article was stolen and placed on a toxic website with other stolen material, and they think you are in control of that website.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could it be that it has to do with the latest google update, people are cleaning up their links for fear of being penalized.

Exactly.

And no, I dont do link agreements except through adverts. So I see what ypu are saying bout nofollows.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI:

Good afternoon,

We've recently been contacted by Google on some of our "DoFollow" and "NoFollow" links and policies. Upon further research by our SEO team, we found that several of our affiliates have been using "DoFollow" links.

As such, we wanted to send a reminder to our affiliates that we do not allow "DoFollow" links. If you aren't aware of what "DoFollow" and NoFollow" links are, please refer to this for a better understanding:

http://cmsteachings.com/what-nofollow-link
http://cmsteachings.com/what-dofollow-link

Our policies indicate that we do not allow our affiliates to do any keyword or site name bidding, nor do we allow "DoFollow" links.

If you are using "DoFollow" links, please switch your links to "NoFollow" to avoid commission penalty and termination from our affiliate program.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regardless it's work and I'm going to charge for it and see just how badly they want them gone.

I sent back the two emails yesterday quoting them $25 each.

I got some of these link removal requests too, although worded more politely, I usually just remove the link, it takes only a minute anyway. Depending on how the link got their in the first place I think it's reasonable to ask for a fee to remove it. You do need to do some work and spend some time after all.

I can understand them though, having some sites hit by penguin I'm starting to send out some link removal requests soon too.

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
FYI:

Good afternoon,

We've recently been contacted by Google on some of our "DoFollow" and "NoFollow" links and policies. Upon further research by our SEO team, we found that several of our affiliates have been using "DoFollow" links.

As such, we wanted to send a reminder to our affiliates that we do not allow "DoFollow" links. If you aren't aware of what "DoFollow" and NoFollow" links are, please refer to this for a better understanding:

http://cmsteachings.com/what-nofollow-link
http://cmsteachings.com/what-dofollow-link

Our policies indicate that we do not allow our affiliates to do any keyword or site name bidding, nor do we allow "DoFollow" links.

If you are using "DoFollow" links, please switch your links to "NoFollow" to avoid commission penalty and termination from our affiliate program.

Response.

Dear Affiliate.

While we are sensitive to those we do business with we do not allow affiliates to dictate our site linking policies. Please take your affiliate program and stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom