Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

TRAFFIC Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was going to list several premium names in the auction until I heard the commission is 15% :greeneek:

That's nuts. The buyers are already paying to be there. Compare this to real estate. Typically the commission rate tops out at 6%. To earn that commission the agent has to do a virtual tour, create a brochure, advertise, have open houses, arrange inspections, complete a lot of paper work,go to a closing and probably a lot of other stuff I'm not aware of.

Compare this to other auctions. They are usually held in large hotel facility. A big expense for the auctioneer. They haul in all the junk being auctioned off. They normally charge a 10% buyer's premium. For the traffic auction the facility is already covered and Monte doesn't have to lug in my monster names.

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow ~ That is hefty... + I believe in the US you would have to pay tax on the profit as well since it would be considered income if I'm not mistaken...

:greensighw:

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Once I heard of the Huge cut that Moniker was taking, placing names for sale there was out of the question.

They will never know how much they lost but will just talk about what they have I guess.

It won't keep me from bidding there though, I'll let the suckers who listed their names pay the fee.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hate to tear open a scabbing wound but do any of you remember the LAST Traffic?

Over 4000 names fruitlessly attempted to be brought to the stage? Some 200 of them actually presented. ALOT of name owners walked away from that event feeling like they had been lied to, hyped up to sell simply to be used as a vehicle to boost Moniker's "largest live domain auction ever".

Seriously, if you were sitting in the aucience... there to bid on a specific name or even a group of names... waiting patiently for that "elite" name to be presented and the auctioneer publically asks "What names do you want to bid on? Give me one and we'll start"...

What do you do? Do you say "Yeah, I want blahblahblah.com now that everone know is, please bid against me".

Or

Do you furrow your brow, cross your arms and sit a little lower in your chair... pissed and worried that you've just wasted airfiar, rental car, hotel, food and a very high registration fee for a domain that you probably wont even get a chance to bid on unless you artificially inflate your own cost by openging your big, dumb, stupid mouth.

I'm not going to bother either. I like Moniker and I like Monte... but that last Traffic (West) left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. It'll take some time to build that trust again.

GoPC

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It won't keep me from bidding there though, I'll let the suckers who listed their names pay the fee.

In most cases the buyer will be paying the inflated commission. The seller will up the reserve to cover it.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are the auction rules posted anywhere?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was going to list several premium names in the auction until I heard the commission is 15% :greeneek:

I thought it was a typo error, might be 5%:frusty: Now I have to increase my asking price for a name to make it even.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother either. I like Moniker and I like Monte... but that last Traffic (West) left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. It'll take some time to build that trust again.

GoPC

Ouch! I'm going this time.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they want to maximize the prices received by the sellers, they should permit bidding by telephone and internet. It wouldn't be that hard.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they want to maximize the prices received by the sellers, they should permit bidding by telephone and internet. It wouldn't be that hard.

Not a bad idea George.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's nuts. The buyers are already paying to be there. Compare this to real estate. Typically the commission rate tops out at 6%. To earn that commission the agent has to do a virtual tour, create a brochure, advertise, have open houses, arrange inspections, complete a lot of paper work,go to a closing and probably a lot of other stuff I'm not aware of.
You cannot compare domain sales to real estate sales. How many real estate sales in the $100k+ range are completed in a week? Now compare this to the amount of domain sales within that price range.

It is much more difficult to sell domains for high-end market prices, so brokers making such sales possible do deserve fees that are higher than the commissions paid in the real estate market.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is much more difficult to sell domains for high-end market prices

How is it more difficult? They are selling something that can't be replicated. In this case it is like shooting fish in a barrel. Not difficult at all.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How many real estate sales in the $100k+ range are completed in a week? Now compare this to the amount of domain sales within that price range.

The reason there is so few $100K+ sales is there are so few names worth $100K+ for sale.

Reaction score
Folks - let me clarify and correct a lot of the chatter above.

Commissions for live asset auctions range from 15% - 25% on average. Christies, Sotheby's and others make their money this way. It is usually the Buyer who pays.

Listing services such as Afternic and Sedo charge 10% just to have your domains listed on their website for buyers to come and make offers – no marketing, no market creation, nothing.

Moniker is a premium domain sales service. Our average domain sale is more than 7X of all others in the market. We charge 20% for domain sales due to our efforts and our results. 15% is right in the middle of these two available markets in our domain space currently.

It was Also Moniker's idea to put this live auction together...to take the risk, chance, float the expense on the first auction to validate that it can work. For the absolute success we achieved, we earned the franchise rights to conduct all the Live Auctions at TRAFFIC events going forward and will conduct other live auctions throughout the year. We generated more sales for sellers and buyers than all other companies combined when conducting this event.

Moniker does not get 15% if there is a sale. There is an auctioneer, there is a fee to TRAFFIC, there is PR, Marketing, Sponsorship, Hosting fees for the silent auction, labor, etc. The escrow, legal, transfer, renewal fees are also all included. The seller pays the fee not the buyer. And 5% is not going to determine if a domain sells or not for those of you that cannot believe the commission rate.

This is not Real-estate where there is a vibrant supply and demand market. Domain sales are few and far between compared to other asset sales. One day hopefully, we will be looking at a market that is more like physical real-estate and you will see commissions look more like those types of transactions. In the mean time, remember the risk, the time, the effort, the intellectual property, and the previous two auctions success that even made this vehicle of selling domains possible. Also remember all the failed sales and the expense and time companies like mine put in every day to help sellers sell their domains. To bring a TRUE market in a room to buy and sell domains, to determine values, to transact with peers in an open forum is a rare occurance and one that has taken quite a bit of effort to pull off. How many $100K transactions are there with domains in a year? How many at even $10K? NOT Many...especially compared to real-estate or any other true asset sale. To have domains sell like this in a 3 hour event is a huge accomplishment and great for our industry. It validates it...and whether you think it is easy or deserved or not, no one else has pulled it off successfully accept Moniker.

Remember what your margins are in sales like this. For those of you who attended the last auction or those of you that did not, the process of weeding down a list of 4K names to 200 is not an easy task. However, although there were some names that should not have made it to auction, there were plenty that did. Almost 1/3 of all the domains presented sold! – 58 in all out of 169. That is incredible given we are talking domains here. Most sold 2X+ over there reserve price and generally everyone was pretty damn happy with the results and the event – buyers and sellers included.

So if you do not want your domains considered, do not enter them. We have 5 ways now to sell domains at Moniker and you can decide whether to participate or not. My guess is it will be your loss not to consider the opportunity but that will be up to you.

We are launching a brand new marketplace to buy and sell names within the next two weeks. It will interface with the live auction events (4 of them next year). We will also be conducting live silent auctions at each of these events. Our new marketplace will interface with TrafficClub and our For Sale Landing Page Systems as well as our domain availability checks and whois look ups will also provide opportunities for buyers and sellers of domain names. The new system will have a dynamic taxonomy search results display like no other. Plus we market domains to buyers and corporate.

There is currently no one that does the above and no one that has combined the primary and secondary markets together in one place.

Having been the one that created the actual domain sale and escrow process back in 1996 along with the invention and distribution of the first domain appraisal system to help determine values of domains, I know first hand how hard and rewarding this industry can be. It takes transactions of all types to validate our market…to invite outside investment dollars into our market, and to prove that there is in fact a true market of buyers and sellers. These events and the current offerings you see from companies today or just in their infancy. In 10 years, we will all look back and thank ourselves for even participating in these types of events and domain sales. To have a traditional live auction for an asset that you cannot touch, that is truly just a 10 year subscription and not really owned, that you cannot stand on or see (accept for virtually of course), is quite a feet to think about.

If you are interested in participating in the new offering and/or the upcoming auctions - just email [email protected]. Those of you who want to hold your cards close to your chest and see how it goes for yet a 3rd time, go ahead. There will be 4-6 events a year to change your mind... and I am sure we will be copied as well...which validates it again.

In each of the past 3 events, we surpassed our goals of total sales. This event we are hoping to hit $5M. Some of the domains being presented are killer names at fair or below market prices. Others are high end and high dollar and may not sell at all...the market will decide and determine what happens.

Reaction score
The rules will be posted live within two weeks.

The Watcher - how did the last event leave a bad taste in your mouth and loose trust in Moniker? I do not get it?

Those attending TRAFFIC will have the opportunity to buy and sell domains at this event. We are also presenting names for sale from folks that are not attending TRAFFIC.

For this event, there may be up to 10 qualified telephone bidders allowed and those that cannot attend can have a person at the event bidding on their behalf. Cell phones were used at the last event and many names sold to folks not in the room through their rep at the event.

We will also allow folks to bid in the silent auction but they must be approved through the TRAFFIC application process and there will be a fee. Go to www.targetedtraffic.com to sign up for the conference and event.

At some point, there may be others allowed to place bids if not attending but it is not there yet.

We will be holding the next live auction at InterNext in Las Vegas in January for Adult names. There will be others in March, June, and October of next year as well.

Reaction score
I also wanted to point out that we are having a silent auction during the whole traffic event this year to accomidate the domains that do not make the cut for the live auction. There is only 3.5 hours to present premium names for the live event...but there will be 3.5 days to buy and sell domains in the silent auction.

Also remember that the audience and attendees of traffic decide the final auction list through an exclusive selection process. We do not just randomly eliminate names from consideration. Obviously all names submitted do not make it to the big dance...but many more will make it to the silent auction this year. There will be about 10K names available to buy and sell in the silent auction this year and about 200 in the live auction. Plenty to of opportunity for buyers and sellers. All the names will also be available in our marketplacepro system after the event so when all the press hits, the domains will also be available to sell and buy.

Hope that clears up the remaining confusion and questions...but if there are more, email me or post them.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone at Moniker use AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, or MSN Messenger? Conceivably one can setup a special buddy list of bidders before the auction, and allow bids that way (and it scales much better than 10 telephone bidders, and is very inexpensive).

If one thinks about it, for every $10K in purchases (or higher bids) that an offsite bidder generates, not only does it result in happier sellers, but it generates the equivalent of $1,500 in commissions. And for those of us who've spent six-figure sums on domains, 15% of $100,000 means an extra$15,000. Do the math.

Offsite bidders also don't eat any food, or generate other costs.

Reaction score
yes we all do however, these events are exclusive, qualifying, invite only events. Anyone can submit an application to attend...including you George at www.targetedtraffic.com.

Although we may open this up to the public in the future, by attending TRAFFIC you go through some important qualification through the application process. This is the reason we have not had one domain sale go south on us thus far.

Those interested in buying names after the auction, can do so at our new marketplacepro area on Moniker so no one will be excluded for all the domains left.

This is also how the famous live auction houses work...Christies and Sotheby's are invite only events to ensure qualified bidders and processing. And Yes, you pay to play by going to TRAFFIC..which is not our event but an event well worth every penny for admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators