• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

True Geographical Statistics Analysis..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
2,003
Reaction score
8
Hi gang :-)

Firstly, does anyone know of a good tool that will analyse your apache log files and provide stats on your visitors' geographical location? Just to be clear, I'm talking about the geographic allocation of the IP address, not the stupid way that many stats programs like Webalizer assume that if your IP resolves to a .com, .net or .org then you must be in the USA! By that logic a user from dial-up123.dehli.sify.net isn't in India...

Secondly, if one doesn't exist, is there much interest in a tool like this? I could write one fairly easily, so I could put it up for free (I even own Geographical.net!) if enough folks want it. I already have most of the code written from another project..

Why is a tool like this useful? Because it allows you to figure out exactly where the traffic is coming from when you're buying domains..

Cheers,
Chris :-)
 
Google found me these
http://www.ip2location.com
http://software77.net/cgi-bin/ip-country/geo-ip.pl
http://www.analysespider.com/
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Geo-IP/Geo/IP.html


and not sure if you need it but i think its related

Flatfile IP Logger, Set $variable to whatever you want to log.
PHP:
 $logfile = "LOG.txt"; //change this line if you want to change the file it writes to (must exist and CHMOD 0777)
$IP = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; //sets the variable for $IP (gets the ip address)
$data = "$variable => $IP  \n"; // sets the text to write to $logfile & adds a new line for the next one (nice and clean)
$fp = fopen("$logfile", "a"); //opens the log file
flock($logfile, LOCK_EX); // start an exclusive lock
fwrite($fp, $data); //writes to the log file
flock($fp, LOCK_UN); // release lock
fclose($fp); //closes the logfile (important!)
    echo "<br /><br />Your IP ($IP) has been Logged with accordance of our T.O.S."; //tells people the've been warned!


Awstats does a good job finding which country the visitor is from too.
 
droplister said:
Thanks for the links :-) I have the IP database already. ip2location seems like it might do the trick, but it's $49 per server. I'm thinking of offering a free web based service where you just upload your logfile and it gives you a one-page analysis.

You're right about AWStats - it's improved since I last used it..
 
Oh i didnt know your trying to offer a service in that manner. Ill keep browsing but I dont know if that exists
 
hi Beachie,
there are some commercial maintained databases that are really optimized, then get sometimes the city, because they know which ISP owns the Classes, thats specially interesting for PI Address space, I looked few years ago a bit deeper into that. If I will be able to find back to the information I will post it here. I can really suggest to look into a maintained Database, because sometimes user in Germany if they use AOL get an US IP.
 
Thanks Freddy, I'll look into it :-) Good to hear from you!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom